• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Renoun Atlas 80

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What is now the Atlas 80 is a whole new shape, more like the Z-90 but with a bit more taper in the tail. Its shape still rewards the better skier but is more accommodating to the skier who wants (and needs) to release the tail from time to time. This newest Renoun has the playfulness of a 14m ski, but you can definitely feel the VibeStop keeping it smooth on the snow.

Insider tip: Note the new pricing on Renoun's collection and specifically the Atlas 80. You can buy with confidence with Renoun's Satisfaction Guarantee.​

Awards
Who is it for?
If you have knee or joint issues, VibeStop works.
Who is it not for?
Euro snobs. Renoun still follows the "Rules are made to be broken" philosophy.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Trees
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
Dimensions
128-80-113
Radius
15m@177cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat
Last edited by a moderator:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It
IMG_6697.jpeg
s been awhile since I've skied the Renoun Z90, which is the ski that the Atlas 80 eclipsed. My first impression on this beauty was that it was not as damp as I expected it to be; however, its quickness edge-to-edge and its zip and energy out of the turn immediately won me over as I made my way through some warmup laps. Once warmup was done, so we made our way to a steep pitch with some moguls, where I was reminded just how much I enjoyed having a ski that allowed me to slow my pace and make my way through the varied conditions. Yet, when I was ready to pump up the volume, the performance amped up with my aspirations.

Fortunately, I was skiing with @AKMINK , who just so happens to own the original Z90, so we switched for a few runs. I immediately recognized the familiarity of it and realized the Atlas 80 has the same Vibe Stop feel that I loved with my earlier Renoun experience. See? It’s always good to refresh one's memory.

For some time I've been wondering why Renoun has discontinued such a great ski as the Z90, and there are probably still some customers out there holding on to it. But the Atlas 80 is quicker, more nimble, more energetic, and more stable at speed, while it still embraces the original Vibe Stop feel that we have grown to love.

• Who is it for? Someone who wants a premium recreational ski for groomer days
  • Who is it not for? Someone who doesn't like to stand out
  • Insider tip: If you liked the Z90, you'll love the Atlas 80.
  • One thing I'd change: I might like to try it in a longer length, for reference, I skied it in a 163.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wanted: ice bump report.
Sorry no ice bumps to report yet. :D

Longer than what? What length were you on?
I was on the 163. I'd like to try it in a 170.
I have edited to include that. Thank you.
What I'm finding is that I like both lenghts of many skis but for different reasons.

Last edited:

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How do these compare to the Kastle MX74 for a groomer ski? I'm intrigued by the vibe stop, so I'm thinking of getting the Atlas 80 once I decide my MX74 have had enough use. Curious about length too. I'm on the 164cm MX74, but with some rocker on the Atlas, the 170 might be better for edge hold.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How do these compare to the Kastle MX74 for a groomer ski? I'm intrigued by the vibe stop, so I'm thinking of getting the Atlas 80 once I decide my MX74 have had enough use. Curious about length too. I'm on the 164cm MX74, but with some rocker on the Atlas, the 170 might be better for edge hold.
Its been awhile since I've been on the MX74, but from my recollection, the Renoun is a little more nimble while the MX74 is narrower and turns a tad quicker.
The Atlas 80 would more likely go up against the Kästle PX81

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Confused now.
Okay, maybe I didn't say that clear enough.
The MX74 (from what I recall in previous reviews) is narrower underfoot and turns a little quicker, but it also carves pretty seriously.
The Renoun Atlas 80 carves quite nicely but its easier to pop around and change turn shape.

Now I want to get on an MX74 to compare in a more current state of mind

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking forward to getting on the Atlas. Had the Z-90 till last year, then moved to the Endurance 88. The Endurance is also a lot like the Z-90 in terms of ability to dampen, but lighter, more nimble, and doesn't mind changing up turn shapes.. Would love to see how much quicker the Atlas 80 feels under foot compared to the 88.

wyz

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm an advanced to expert skiier. Looking for a carver to be used in West Coast (Lake Tahoe), mostly groomer and moguls. Between Atlas 80 and Laser AX, which would be better for moguls?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm an advanced to expert skiier. Looking for a carver to be used in West Coast (Lake Tahoe), mostly groomer and moguls. Between Atlas 80 and Laser AX, which would be better for moguls?
For Tahoe moguls, the Atlas 80, if you were east coast, I would lean to the Laser. These skis have a huge sweet spot but still has the power when you need it. I think the evolution of the Z to the Atlas was ideal for being better in the bumps, a little more rounded in the tip and a bit of taper in the tail

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Also, just a thought that ran through my head... When you guys review skis like this, for those of us that come here to help research our shopping initiatives, it could be tremendously valuable to compare some of the more apples to apples parameters to other skis. For example, stiffness, energy/rebound, quickness, etc...

You guys get a lot of skis under your feet, and for a personal example, I'm looking at skis like the Stockli WRT ST, and knowing roughly how stiff a ski like this is (that I own) it gives me a reference for how much more stiff the WRT ST might be.

Just a thought, not a compliant. :ogbiggrin:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Also, just a thought that ran through my head... When you guys review skis like this, for those of us that come here to help research our shopping initiatives, it could be tremendously valuable to compare some of the more apples to apples parameters to other skis. For example, stiffness, energy/rebound, quickness, etc...

You guys get a lot of skis under your feet, and for a personal example, I'm looking at skis like the Stöckli WRT ST, and knowing roughly how stiff a ski like this is (that I own) it gives me a reference for how much more stiff the WRT ST might be.

Just a thought, not a compliant. :ogbiggrin:
Quite often we do a cagematch comparison which leans to this a bit.
They can be found in the Gear Reviews and Comparisons

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
So I've spent two seasons on this ski now and I'm getting pretty frustrated with this thing. For whatever reason, I cannot seem to get these things to hold on edge out here on the ice coast. I've had them tuned more than once to 1/3 and even still, they just won't bite on the icy hardpack like some of my others will. Its truly puzzling to me.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So I've spent two seasons on this ski now and I'm getting pretty frustrated with this thing. For whatever reason, I cannot seem to get these things to hold on edge out here on the ice coast. I've had them tuned more than once to 1/3 and even still, they just won't bite on the icy hardpack like some of my others will. Its truly puzzling to me.

Interesting. What happens? Do portions of the ski wash out? Do the tips or tails skitter? Is it just not pulling into the turn?

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting. What happens? Do portions of the ski wash out? Do the tips or tails skitter? Is it just not pulling into the turn?
Pulls into the turn fine, but the tail tends to wash out. Also just doesn't bite into the hardpack like some other skis I have do (similar waist width and profile). It's really odd. I don't fully blame the ski, but it is really strange that I see a big difference from one ski to the next on the same day.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Pulls into the turn fine, but the tail tends to wash out.
If you have demo bindings it might be worth experimenting with mount position.

Sponsor