• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Rossignol Experience 86 Ti

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Even in some very hard bumps, they worked really, really well.

For those who are worried the Ti may be a bit too strong, I'd say don't...

I've found few skis that are so forgiving yet can really lay down some tracks when pushed.

QFT.

I"m not sure how a ski this friendly is getting a bit of a rep as being a lot of ski. I guess it is when you need it to be, but really it reminds me of an Enforcer 100 in that it has an astounding range of performance combined with friendliness and ease of use.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Even in some very hard bumps, they worked really, really well. For me, bumps are a nemesis and I felt very comfortable on the 86Ti.
This. I feel they’ve helped me up my game in bumps, which I’ve been doing faster than ever before. Tight turns in the fall line feel so easy. It’s still not a pretty sight but I feel more confident.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
QFT.

I"m not sure how a ski this friendly is getting a bit of a rep as being a lot of ski. I guess it is when you need it to be, but really it reminds me of an Enforcer 100 in that it has an astounding range of performance combined with friendliness and ease of use.
I wonder if it’s the Ti in the name. The SkiEssentials video review also makes it sound like a lot of ski. I know I was worried it’d be too much for me and I almost went for the 86 basalt. I’m glad Tricia and Phil convinced me to pick the Ti.

When I was at Copper last week, I skied with an instructor who happens to be tight with Rossignol and he was on the 86 Ti as well. I asked him why that ski wasn’t getting the traction it deserves and he thought it was a slow burner and it might take a couple of seasons for people to register.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The SkiEssentials video review also makes it sound like a lot of ski.

I saw that before purchase, and considered it a GOOD thing, but it just is NOT a lot of ski.

A great top end, to be sure, but fun on Family Ski Days too, when there isn't much upside in seeing how quickly I can get down to the chairlift and start waiting. :ogbiggrin:

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish I had demo’ed these at the Rossi hut when I was at Deer Valley. I was having far too much fun on the Hero Elite MT Ti, however. My friend did try them though and said the same thing: “easy.”

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long term update Another nice day at Palipine with the 86Ti. Another day of bumps, both very scratchy in the early morning and softening some later on, steep approaches, and groomers. I feel very comfortable on this ski. No fuss, no muss. Point and shoot. Confidence inspiring. I'll stop with the accolades now...

Thanks to @Tricia for the photo.
57153.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Review: The love affair continues. Nothing new to add, other than I've slowly gravitated to preferring them on the line, as compared to my previous one click back.

Great fun in the corn/slush today!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It just doesn't LOOK like I would like it. :roflmao:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: I skied the 86Ti for several days at Sun Valley and Dollar Mountain during the recent U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame Induction event. Conditions varied greatly, from seriously hard, scraped off groomers to gooey "your snow cone machine exploded" spring conditions. The Rossignols shine in these changing conditions, never feeling twitchy or demanding yet solid when pressed. Bumps, hard or soft, were fun too. We literally (I hate that phrase but it's apropos) had slush on one side of the runs and scratchy frozen on the other as the days wore on. It made no difference. I stand behind, beside, and in front of my prior praise for this ski; Rossi has definitely hit it out of the park with an accessible, capable, all-around resort ski. Thanks to @Justin Koski for the video captures.
VideoCapture_20220404-145409.jpg
VideoCapture_20220403-085759.jpg

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Rossignol Experience 86 Ti: I have recently had the opportunity to try the new Rossi Experience 86 Ti and definitely feel this is the best version of the Experience I have ever skied. In many ways this new version feels similar to the Salomon Stance 90, offering similar good carving on groomers, nice rebound energy (although perhaps a touch less than the Stance), acceptable mogul performance, and the ability to handle both Spring morning crust and afternoon slush. Unfortunately, I have not yet had an opportunity to ski it in fresh powder, but suspect it will handle several inches reasonably well. This could well be a veritable “One Ski Quiver” option for many folks.

Rossi Experience 86.JPG

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
acceptable mogul performance
Interested in probing this statement, since 1) bump capability is a primary use case for me in this type of ski and 2) I've been noticing the multiple favorable reviews of this ski recently and trying to reconcile them with what LOOKS like a whole heck of a lot like the old Experience hammerhead tip design that strongly favors groomer performance. I know I don't like that kind of tip in bumps. I do understand that looks can sometimes be deceiving, though.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interested in probing this statement, since 1) bump capability is a primary use case for me in this type of ski and 2) I've been noticing the multiple favorable reviews of this ski recently and trying to reconcile them with what LOOKS like a whole heck of a lot like the old Experience hammerhead tip design that strongly favors groomer performance. I know I don't like that kind of tip in bumps. I do understand that looks can sometimes be deceiving, though.
The new Experience's tip is very different than the original Experience top, one that will plow into a mogul verses rising over it. The new Experience has some of the flair of the original but the rise of the recent out going model, a great balance.

Addresses here from my review:
Philpug: To quote Jon Lovett, “That's the ticket.” The original Experience 88 was a binary wide carver with a flared tip and tail. The outgoing Exp 88 was a relaxed, easy-skiing 88 with a gradual tip. With the new Experience 86 Ti, Rossignol has brought the pendulum back to incorporate the best of both skis. The 86 Ti has married the two best attributes: the shape in the tip and tail of Gen 1 and the rise of Gen 2. These are two positives that do work together.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rossignol Experience 86 Ti: Unfortunately, I have not yet had an opportunity to ski it in fresh powder, but suspect it will handle several inches reasonably well.

Confirmed.

A couple of times this season.

But if it's more than 2 or 3 inches, I prefer my Enforcer 100s, to hold my 200 pounds up off the base a bit better.

Also worth noting IMO is that these skis do NOT ski long.

D.H. Jensen

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Philpug: To quote Jon Lovett, “That's the ticket.” The original Experience 88 was a binary wide carver with a flared tip and tail. The outgoing Exp 88 was a relaxed, easy-skiing 88 with a gradual tip. With the new Experience 86 Ti, Rossignol has brought the pendulum back to incorporate the best of both skis. The 86 Ti has married the two best attributes: the shape in the tip and tail of Gen 1 and the rise of Gen 2. These are two positives that do work together.

This new Rossignol had a construction that holds on the hard snow and enters and finishes a turn with the precision of a strong 86 yet doesn’t get hung up in the mixed conditions and bumps. I am not sure you can ask anything more from a ski in this class.

Insider tip: Bypass the Konect system and slap on a Pivot 15; you won’t be disappointed.​

This new Rossignol had a construction that holds on the hard snow and enters and finishes a turn with the precision of a strong 86 yet doesn’t get hung up in the mixed conditions and bumps. I am not sure you can ask anything more from a ski in this class.

Insider tip: Bypass the Konect system and slap on a Pivot 15; you won’t be disappointed.​
Greetings all, a major point of contention and consideration is where on the ski to mount. For race skis and race carvers I have generally chosen to mount directly on the rec. line. However, I usually vary the mount for free ride and super fat pow skis to enable me to both carve and slarve in tighter terrain and in the trees. This ski is basically a fat carver best suited to groomers and chopped up groomers. Did you measure where the rec. line is from the rear of the ski to give you an idea where the optimal sweet spot would be? Most carvers and race carvers are within the range of -9.75 to -11.5 rear of the true center of the ski. But this ski looks like a center mount type.
Because no one will ski switch, with the experience 86ti, did you try any other mount positions ( like a more rearward spot ) ? Cheers!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Greetings all, a major point of contention and consideration is where on the ski to mount. For race skis and race carvers I have generally chosen to mount directly on the rec. line. However, I usually vary the mount for free ride and super fat pow skis to enable me to both carve and slarve in tighter terrain and in the trees. This ski is basically a fat carver best suited to groomers and chopped up groomers. Did you measure where the rec. line is from the rear of the ski to give you an idea where the optimal sweet spot would be? Most carvers and race carvers are within the range of -9.75 to -11.5 rear of the true center of the ski. But this ski looks like a center mount type.
Because no one will ski switch, with the experience 86ti, did you try any other mount positions ( like a more rearward spot ) ? Cheers!
Welcome! @Philpug and I were discussing the mount point on the Rossi just yesterday. It definitely is more center mounted than say an Atomic Redster 9.8 which is much more wide carver/on-piste oriented than the Rossi. I skied more time on the Experience 86Ti than most other skis this past season and had the option of moving the bindings since the Konect system bindings allow it but never felt the need to. I wouldn't term the 86Ti a wide carver; it's more of an all-terrain ski with noticeable tip rise that allows it to work well in lots of conditions. That said, it carves very well, perhaps not with the nth degree of tenacity of a purpose built wide carver, but quite adequately. I think if you moved the binding back to a more traditional mount point you would lose some of the versatility the Rossi offers. I did try that a few years ago with the Elan Wingman 86Ti which is also a more center mount ski. I moved the binding back to the suggested mount point; the ski was much more fun that way.

B Rad

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Those who have opted for the Pivot binding, have you noticed any snow interference with the 95 mm brake?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Those who have opted for the Pivot binding, have you noticed any snow interference with the 95 mm brake?

I would love to know this as well.
I had 95mm Pivots on an 85mm ski. Not good if you are actually carving or if you have any OCD tendencies. I wouldn't put one on that ski. YMMV

Sponsor