• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Salomon QST 98

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: With the addition of the Stance 96 and 102, some questioned the need for the QST 99. I am sure Salomon did too, hence the redirection of the QST 98 which has now evolved to a resort-biased powder ski. Since there is the Stance, Salomon decided the new 98 could be its fun and playful ski but still one with some backbone. I skied the QST at Squaw in some of the heaviest and wettest conditions of the season, the kind of snow that is good for you but not so good to ski. The all-new QST 98 is much more playful and excels in three-dimensional snow.

Insider tip: These could be part of a great 1-2 punch when combined with an S/Force Bold or Stance 90.​

Who is it for?
Finesse skiers looking for a 98 that wants to play but still have power in reserve.
Who is it not for?
Chargers will want to gravitate to the Stance collection.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
  3. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Moguls
  2. Off Piste
  3. Trees
  4. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
169, 176, 183, 189
Dimensions
132-98-120
Radius
16m@176cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. All new
Ski Weight:
1860g
Binding options
  1. Flat
Reactions: BMC

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
it's interesting to me that the QST 99 was at the top of the power scale and the QST 98 is closer to the finesse side. and they changed the sizing options and made it lighter. Not sure these are improvements.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not sure these are improvements.
Depends on how you look at it, but I can see the confusion. IMHO, I would have gone with a different name for this and even the collection. The 112 mm version is the QST Blank, meaning that it is a "fill in the blank" as to where the ski will perform best. That ski could easily been the Blank 112 and this could have been called the Blank 98, that would have made more sense. And IMHO, think of this as the Blank 98 and forget any relation to the outgoing QST 99, they are different animals.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have used am twins in the past for touring and resort pow / trees such as blizzard the ones 184cm from 2010 vintage. I think the dimensions on those ones were the same as these 132/98/120. Rocker profiles have changed since then.

I am looking for a new touring setup and was thing about these with some shifts for touring and maybe a little resort use.

• Just how floppy are these? Jibby twin or more am twin?
  • Any word on how they handle spring snow?
  • Is the weight listed for a 183 or a 176?
  • Any comparisons between these and chetler 100s?
  • Other similar skis to demo?

Last edited:

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got out on 183 QST 98s with shift binders at the resort today.

They are exactly what I was looking for. Fun and Easy soft snow skis that turn on a dime and ski decently enough on piste. The skis feel a little vague on groomers until they get up on edge. But once they are rolled on edge they engage smoothly, bite pretty well and feel good. I like the feel of Salomon QST skis with their crazy laminates and materials. Quickness in shorter turns and bumps is very good. Prefer a balanced stance with maybe just a hint of shin pressure. Stability is good in crud.

I am sure they would be even more solid feeling with wardens. But light enough for touring with shifts.

Last edited:

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Didnt ski these much last season which was very low on snow. Getting alot more time on them now and they are very good for those soft choppy in-between days. Also I was wrong in my earlier post, these love tip pressure. And they are alot of ski even in a 183. Very stable. They carve really well compared to other hugh 90s skis. E.g. m6. Very good in bumps. Not really a ski for tight trees unless you really are on the offensive. It's not a noodle. It's a true freeride ski.

Reactions: BMC

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh,oh! I got the 188cm, and love the trees.
I definitely don’t ski on the offensive.
I will let you know in two weeks what I think of them, when I get them out at Powder Mtn and Brighton, Solitude

Sponsor