• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Stöckli Nela 88

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tricia: If the Nela 96 is the goddess of crud-slaying, then the Nela 88 is the goddess of confidence. In the ever-popular 88mm category, this one stands out for its sheer smoothness and stability. When I skied it at Snowbasin, the only length available at the time was the 160, a tad short for me, so I was prepared to take the length into consideration knowing that it may be a little twitchy, but I was surprised how stable it was, which only highlights the quality of Stöckli’s construction and attention to detail. Taking the place of the Stormrider on the women’s side, this newly designed freeride ski for women is extremely responsive and very stable.

Insider tip: If you’re looking for a bit more off-piste chops, check out the Nela 96.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Someone looking for a special daily driver.
Who is it not for?
Someone who thinks “okay” is good enough.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
  4. Trees
Segment
  1. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
152, 160, 168
Dimensions
127-88-113
Radius
15m@160cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is what I had to say about the Nela 88 at testing in what feels like eons ago (February 2020.) Needless to say, I absolutely loved this ski and am planning to add one to my collection for this winter come he!! or high water:

Stöckli Nela 88-160. If Santa brought me a pair of these, I'd probably giggle in delight. This is an amazing ski! So stable, despite being shorter than I normally would ski. I felt they skied very true to length, were easy to get on edge, held through the turn amazingly well, and were very confidence inspiring! I was going like a bat out of hell on these babies! I was surprised that the 160 length felt really good, as I typically ski 163 or longer for my all-mountain skis. They command a premium price, but there is a reason for that. This is truly a premium ski and even as an intermediate, I could feel and appreciate the difference. The Stockli rep had a hard time getting me to give these back.
Who's it for? Any intermediate or above who truly wants a premium one-ski quiver.
Who's it not for? The budget conscious.
Insider Tip: If you have the cash, buy them.

I literally wanted to take these out for a third run (and another, and another.) But I had to give them back because there were others who wanted to take them out. Fabulous ski--I can't wait to have my own pair!

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
I’m writing on behalf of my wife….
She’s 5’5 120lbs, solid but careful middle aged advancing intermediate. Currently skies 153 QSts, today she demo’d Nela 88 in 152 in Am and 160 in pm; always hard when conditions and energy changes in afternoon. She really enjoyed the ski; struggling on size. She claims 152 felt really fun and light but Short (even though it’s basically the size of her current ski). 160 felt good, but only did a quick afternoon long run….probably the way to go….just slightly concerned if it feels too long on steeper/tighter terrain….i guess roll the dice on longer? (She also skied Santa Ana 88 in 158; also enjoyed). I’m a Stockli fan, I think she felt the smooth turns but still digesting…..

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m writing on behalf of my wife….
She’s 5’5 120lbs, solid but careful middle aged advancing intermediate. Currently skies 153 QSts, today she demo’d Nela 88 in 152 in Am and 160 in pm; always hard when conditions and energy changes in afternoon. She really enjoyed the ski; struggling on size. She claims 152 felt really fun and light but Short (even though it’s basically the size of her current ski). 160 felt good, but only did a quick afternoon long run….probably the way to go….just slightly concerned if it feels too long on steeper/tighter terrain….i guess roll the dice on longer? (She also skied Santa Ana 88 in 158; also enjoyed). I’m a Stöckli fan, I think she felt the smooth turns but still digesting…..
Go longer is my advice. I'm almost exactly her stats and age even it sounds like. If the 152 felt short, it'll only feel shorter as she progresses. She will probably progress off those QSTs pretty quickly. The Nela is just the most confidence-inspiring ski and I am able to maneuver the 160 without any hesitation. I bounce around between solid advanced skier to chicken intermediate depending on conditions and light. I was on a Santa Ana 88 for 3 seasons in a 165--it's a very fun and easy ski, but lost it's stability in crappy cruddy bumpy snow when they took the extra sheet of metal out in last year's model. The Nela brought that stability back for me. It's a perfect blend of light yet stable.

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
Go longer is my advice. I'm almost exactly her stats and age even it sounds like. If the 152 felt short, it'll only feel shorter as she progresses. She will probably progress off those QSTs pretty quickly. The Nela is just the most confidence-inspiring ski and I am able to maneuver the 160 without any hesitation. I bounce around between solid advanced skier to chicken intermediate depending on conditions and light. I was on a Santa Ana 88 for 3 seasons in a 165--it's a very fun and easy ski, but lost it's stability in crappy cruddy bumpy snow when they took the extra sheet of metal out in last year's model. The Nela brought that stability back for me. It's a perfect blend of light yet stable.
Great feedback - that might have sold it for my wife. Appreciate the reply!!

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
Let us know what she decides and her thoughts!
Will do - the only two other skis of ‘potential’ interest are Nela 80 (157 - could be also good front side smooth ski) and Fischer Ranger 94 (which is actually 90 under in smaller lengths) frW (both different from one another, both highly regarded, but neither avail for demo nearby…

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
Update: It seems the Nela 88 160 or the 80 157 is the way to go. In addition to trying the Nela 88 a few weeks back, she tried the 80 157 and really liked it. Granted, in Tahoe we've been dry so Groomers are the way to go. I think the 88 in 160 OR 80 in 157 would both fit well. What I don't know is: Does the 88 have more rocker than the 80; thus an 88 would ski shorter thereby making the 88 in 160 pretty similar in length "feel" to the 80 157?

Secondly....where can we get a deal on these??!! haha....

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Update: It seems the Nela 88 160 or the 80 157 is the way to go. In addition to trying the Nela 88 a few weeks back, she tried the 80 157 and really liked it. Granted, in Tahoe we've been dry so Groomers are the way to go. I think the 88 in 160 OR 80 in 157 would both fit well. What I don't know is: Does the 88 have more rocker than the 80; thus an 88 would ski shorter thereby making the 88 in 160 pretty similar in length "feel" to the 80 157?

Secondly....where can we get a deal on these??!! haha....
I don’t think the 88 has more rocker. It has very little to begin with. Did she overall prefer one over the other?

A deal—oh boy not easy especially this year!

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
I don’t think the 88 has more rocker. It has very little to begin with. Did she overall prefer one over the other?

A deal—oh boy not easy especially this year!
Yes, deals proving hard to find! Ha!

Nela 88: She tried the 152 and loved how light it was, but stated it was too short feeling. Later that day swapped to 160 and thought it felt good …albeit it was the end of the day with tired legs and clumpy snow.

Nela 80: Demo tent at palisades, 157, felt great to her. Totally great groomer day. No complaints other than the demo bindings were a bit heavy feeling. But loved the smooth compliant feel.

So seems either would work, maybe slight lean towards 80?

When comparing to her current QSTs to either Stockli, she said it’s like a Toyota vs the refined feel of a BMW (we are fans of both brands though;)

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, deals proving hard to find! Ha!

Nela 88: She tried the 152 and loved how light it was, but stated it was too short feeling. Later that day swapped to 160 and thought it felt good …albeit it was the end of the day with tired legs and clumpy snow.

Nela 80: Demo tent at palisades, 157, felt great to her. Totally great groomer day. No complaints other than the demo bindings were a bit heavy feeling.

So seems either would work, maybe slight lean towards 80?
I’d lean that way unless she wants a bit wider to explore powder a bit.

Sponsor