• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Taos Mini-Gathering - January 22 - January 29, 2022

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Sounds like you had an awesome group plus all the snow to boot! Who was your instructor? Was this the “womens ski week”? Next year, Dave and I discussed possibly putting together our own private. I think we might be compatible! I have a big need for adventure but lack technical discipline….at least I rediscovered the joy of skiing this trip, skiing with old and new friends after lunch was the best!
I actually got worse in my actual classes, but it’s cool to say I skiied with Owen Wilson!

Until next year!
It was a great ski week. It was not women's ski week, we had a man, good ski friend of mine and of other women in our group. It was a private ski week that I organized with 3 other friends. Our instructor was Stephanie. I have a decent technique but get in my head frequently. This is my third year and the third ski week with Stephanie. She is an amazing instructor, and she is great at slowly building me up to ski more challenging terrain. I have definitely skied more challenging terrain this year then the year before at Taos. I am very happy with the progression.

Not everyone in the group was interested in the double black terrain or hiking the Ridge though we had similar technical abilities, so we did split up a few times. In ski weeks, private or regular the aspirations to ski certain type of terrain is as important as the skill level.

Last edited:

applecart

Getting on the lift
Skier
So I just returned from my second Taos Ski Week. This year, I was fortunate to do a private ski week with 3 other skiers. Derek was our instructor and he is just so wonderful - a good teacher and a lovely guy. I have never really been able to ski moguls - poor technique and no confidence - but after a week with Derek, I am a changed skier. I started on my Kastle FX96HP in 165 - that didn't last long - and ended up on Black Crows Captis Birdies in 154 (you can see why I got better in the bumps) on the way I demoed the Stockli Nela 80 in 157, the Stockli AX in 161 (loved them so much, but not for a newbie bump ski) and the Dynastar MPro 90 in 154 (which were insanely stable for how short they were).
We skied Kachina and a bunch of double blacks and I felt more and more confident as the week went on. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could ski the terrain I skied without tumbling or skidding down the run. The snow was thin and there were rocks and baby trees in the way, but I still enjoyed the terrain.
Taos is a wonderful place and I highly recommend the ski week. With the private week, we received more specific and one-on-one attention. The jump in my ability and confidence was worth every penny. Plus we had a blast!!

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, that’s not young Val Kilmer, drat!

Still want another ski week, though.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
You practicing the self arrest drill in class ?
It was just one of the many odd drills we had to do. After that one, we had to walk down a curvy line, single-file, like follow the leader. By then I had no idea what the point was. It was funny though. I wish I had taken more pictures/vids. Another drill/demonstration was to use our arms to push and resist against against him. I think that was to demonstrate what the pressure on our legs should feel like….but demonstrated through our arms? Why…?

the best drill we did was when we had to do synchronized bump runs - one skier would go down a few turns followed by another, and whenever the first skier turned, the next skier had to turn, no matter where we were in the bumps. We didn’t need to follow each other’s lines, just turn whenever the first person turned….this was honestly the best drill bc it helped me to stop thinking and just look forward…

actual bump instruction was very different from what I’d understood as the Taos way. We didn’t even talk about pole plants much. It was only brought up when I insisted that we needed to do the early open pole plant, but the teacher said that was bad. He also wanted us to aim for the “bananas”/luge runs all the time. It was weird.

I still love Taos though and will be back next year. Maybe not with Owen Wilson though.

missyc

Booting up
Skier
@A Grump , whatever your many strengths, you ain't no diva. Y's jacket looks killer on her. :wave:
Thank you Tony! Grumps are my ski fashion advisors, "this is your jacket!" they said, convinced me to spend a fortune on it. I wore it for just one day though, as the rest of the week were too warm.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
@SKI-3PO pointed me to this podcast - was looking for fodder for the long drive from VA to VT. Fairly recent episode on taos caught my attention. It's kind of long, but some good stuff: "renovation" of the St B (not a complete redo), thinning of trees, plans for lift upgrades (including a gondola connecting the base areas)

Sponsor

Staff online