• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Taos Mini-Gathering - January 22 - January 29, 2022

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
as an escape from the heat and humidity this past week.

Best part of being old is the loss of short term memory. Case in point, "What heat and humidity?" It's 63°F here in NYC right now. :ogbiggrin:

James

Out There
Instructor
When will there be a roll call for the ski in? A raffle/fund raiser for going first?
Starting places should be booked now!

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
When will there be a roll call for the ski in? A raffle/fund raiser for going first?
Starting places should be booked now!
I've gone first twice. No big deal. You get to watch everyone else.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've gone first twice. No big deal. You get to watch everyone else.
Because you went first. Sell your spot to Tony.
IME it's strangely competitive to get to the front of the line. My elbows apparently aren't sharp enough.

Or more likely I was just taking a leak.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
one of the best things about the new ski off location! Bathrooms right there in the Whistlestop!

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ah the ski off- my first Ski week, we already had Peter Blake reserved so I knew my group. Some in my private group had already skied down so I also knew where I was going.

It was next to Whistlestop lodge, a freshly groomed slope, nice pitch, not too long, one at a time. That day there was ungroomed FRESH Pow about 5" on top of groomed off to the side of the groomed- I asked the instructor in charge letting people go down- Why isn't anyone skiing the Powder? Can't I use that up? He says go for it. So I did. Being a snow pig, I tried to use it all up making as many turns as I could- it was sweet. I get to the bottom and the ski school guy who has been yelling at each person to go this group or that group- is now yelling at me to "Go to 9, Go to 9" I yell back - NO I'm in Peter's group. Back and forth- he yells at me, I yell back. Got a bit embarrassing and worse- Unbeknownst to me it was "THE" JEAN MAYER!! Fortunately he didn't recognize me at dinner at his hotel later that night!! Jean Mayer really did do a great job of sorting people out.

I loved skiing with Peter Blake and hearing the history of Taos how it was created-His parents were true skiers and understood fall lines and cut the trails to utilize the natural fall lines. I think Taos has near perfect fall lines! Peter's Mom hiked the ridge looking at Taos to design easier trails like Bambi.

Newbies, don't be nervous, I liked that people can move up or down in groups, they really go above and beyond to put people in the group to match their abilities and their skiing goals. Ski week is a lot of fun, ski right on the lifts (not that it's been busy when I was there) I love the private tour the ski week provides. I met people that have been doing ski weeks for decades! The last ski week we were with Derek, that also was a great week and he offered me a yellow coat :)

Even if you know how to ski, They can teach old dogs new tricks - Peter asked me to go first down the bumps under Chair 8- at the bottom said he'd never ask me to go first, lol, he said not many can zipperline. I guess it's we (old) Eastern skiers that still zipperline. Taos teach bumps slow and easy, the casual, leisurely way down. I think they have some great instructors. Yes, I'll be taking another ski week, it's fun and I learn ski tips I use when I teach. Last winter I used Derek's "magic ski" all the time!

I won't make this SKI Talk meetup, I'll be there early February with a bunch of 'divas' so if any of you are still around maybe we'll take some runs.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
For anyone who hasn't figured it out, Taos instructors wear yellow coats. So that was a job offer! :)
Yep, @ADKmel is a ski instructor in upstate NY and a amazing skier. Peter Blake is a great instructor, I think he will be back to teaching this year, he took a few years off, first due to injury and then due to pandemic. I took ski week with him twice and had a great time. Anyone who ends up in his group is going to have a great time. All of the instructors are great in their own way though, Taos ski week is a great experience, also they are addictive. :)

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ever ski Gary’s Last Run at JH? I’ll show it to you this winter.

Tougher than Alta Chutes. But all runs are tough if you don’t have skis on your feet.

:useless:

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
Ever ski Gary’s Last Run at JH? I’ll show it to you this winter.

Tougher than Alta Chutes. But all runs are tough if you don’t have skis on your feet.
Scott will take pictures to post and share but who will rescue US?

Sponsor

Staff online