• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Taos Mini-Gathering - January 22 - January 29, 2022

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
10904451_1537210533220350_5284357163198328832_o.jpg
I know I'm still trying to figure this whole skiing thing out, but you're supposed to stay on the white stuff, right?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The phrase "thread decay" comes to mind about now.

In @JohnL 's defense, he really did get bad advice. I heard it and watched the performance. It was like he was trying to demonstrate skiing in a game of charades. You know, on orange shag carpet in someone's rec room.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Geez, y’all are not inspiring any desire to ski with you.
I've skied with the King and he totally took care of me so I didn't die. (Important to note - we were not on his level of terrain, but mine. He took my husband other places . . .)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've skied with the King and he totally took care of me so I didn't die. (Important to note - we were not on his level of terrain, but mine. He took my husband other places . . .)
@James is coming at it from the other side. Don't worry, there will be plenty of Bad Ideas. (SM) Even more if @A Grump attends.

Last edited by a moderator:

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The phrase "thread decay" comes to mind about now.

In @JohnL 's defense, he really did get bad advice. I heard it and watched the performance. It was like he was trying to demonstrate skiing in a game of charades. You know, on orange shag carpet in someone's rec room.
Don’t let the facts get in the way of a good picture.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@James is coming at it from the other side.
True - even though I haven't met him I know that just from reading. Thought maybe I'd reassure some others, though, who might be reading this. This group can sound pretty intimidating sometimes.

James

Out There
Instructor
Grump isn’t the problem out there... ogsmile

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I just stumbled across one of those generic "intro to ski area X" articles. It is short, but it has a good description of what the different parts like "frontside" and "backside" mean, and this excellent illustration of, for example, where the "lower frontside" is. The prominent straight line you see is Al's Run.

Taos_areas_v2.jpg

The full article is here.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I just stumbled across one of those generic "intro to ski area X" articles. It is short, but it has a good description of what the different parts like "frontside" and "backside" mean, and this excellent illustration of, for example, where the "lower frontside" is. The prominent straight line you see is Al's Run.

Taos_areas_v2.jpg

Took you a few years, eh. :nono:
For a rocket scientist, you are pretty slow. :duck:

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier

Taos_areas_v2.jpg

That is a great article about Taos. I love how they talk about the founder Ernie Blake and mention Jean Mayer and Alain. Ernie's son Peter Blake is an instructor at Taos and he is great, I took 2 ski weeks with him, one of which was with @ADKmel , we both posted about it in this thread already.

I always have my skis tuned at Alain's ski shop and chat with him or his daughter who are very friendly and fun. Alain is very charming in a French manner. :)

I have skied Corner Chute, Wild Wild West Glades and Kachina main Street. I have not skied Stauffenberg, North American or Longhorn. Walkyries is a really fun glade. Lorelei has a really fun area, there is an easier section and two very steep and tight treed section. I skied an easier more open and not as steep section.

I <3 Taos and can't wait to go back.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid