• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Taos Mini-Gathering - January 22 - January 29, 2022

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Question for those who know the roads .... We will be in Reno, NV in January.

It looks like there are 3 possible routes, but I have no idea which route is the best as far as road conditions and snow clearance. We have a Land Cruiser and Bob is an excellent snow driver but would still prefer the least stressful drive.

Which of these 3 routes would be the least stressful driving conditions?
1. I-80 to Salt Lake then the 6/191 via Moab to the 491/160 via Durango and Pagosa Springs to 84/64 to Taos
2. US 50 to I-70 to 191 and the rest is the same as #1
3. I-80 to the 6/191 via Heber City to the I-70E/50 via Grand Junction to the 114 to the 285 to the 64

Any input on any of the 3 routes would be greatly appreciated. My main concern in numbers 1 & 2 would be the mountain passes through CO.

We could return to Big Bear first and drive via Flagstaff to Alburquerque to Taos. We know that route and it is relatively stress free. However the mountain pass through Mammoth is VERY unpredictable weather wise since it rises above 9000 ft.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
The passes shouldn't be any stress. Wolf Creek Pass is very well maintained, and heavily patrolled in winter. Your next pass, in NM, is remote. However it melts out quickly.

Great Thai place in Pagosa for lunch. Pretty desolate from their to Taos.

And hit me up if you overnight in Durango, or want to ski Purg on the way to Taos. I'll be headed to Angel Fire for PSIA stuff as you depart Taos.

Last edited:

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
I'm going to have to call and figure out prices for children's lessons for the week, minus lift and rentals.
You've probably already called, but...
2 years ago we had a newbie adult in our group that did a lesson/equipment (sans boots)/lesson package that was pretty good. Think she had to stick to the beginner area for 2 days (was ready to move after 1+).
She called & made arrangement - can ask for more info you want.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
FYI I checked the Taos ticket prices for two days to add on an Ikon base pass (5 days) like myself to get 7 days. It was a reasonable $148 midweek during our ski week assuming you will use your Ikon days for the weekends. Ikon upgrade is $260 if you think you will ski multiple resorts 7 days each. I won't.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Buddy passes off the TSV season passes are usually around $65/day. Just saying.
I was just making sure he didn't get quoted $148/day... and then think that was reasonable. It might have indicated something is wrong with @Marker !