• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Taos Mini-Gathering - January 22 - January 29, 2022

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes and no.
One of the reasons I’m going this year. It’s gonna be entertaining. ogsmile
I most likely won’t be skiing in a group with most of these guys, but I hope for some interesting conversation over dinner and drinks. :ogbiggrin:

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Despite the loose-goosey nature, it was great last year. Those who care to join in on lunch, find their people and despite the varying ski levels, we all seemed to get a few runs in together. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait. My future DIL will no make it this year because ... wedding stress. She'll join us next year. Bob and I are bringing our dogs this year so we'll be staying either in Taos or Aroyo Seco instead of on mountain.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Despite the loose-goosey nature, it was great last year. Those who care to join in on lunch, find their people and despite the varying ski levels, we all seemed to get a few runs in together. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait. My future DIL will no make it this year because ... wedding stress. She'll join us next year. Bob and I are bringing our dogs this year so we'll be staying either in Taos or Aroyo Seco instead of on mountain.
Yeah, I’m looking to stay in Arroyo Seco. I think I found a good place.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I most likely won’t be skiing in a group with most of these guys,

The groups are not static. People often move from group to group depending on what they feel like skiing that afternoon. I try to ski with everyone at least one afternoon sometime during the week.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The groups are not static. People often move from group to group depending on what they feel like skiing that afternoon. I try to ski with everyone at least one afternoon sometime during the week.
Maybe @Wendy was referring to the ski week groups... to be clear for everyone, those are only in the morning if you're doing a ski week. Afternoons are free skiing for everyone.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anyone have any information/experience on how kids lessons/ski weeks run? Last time I looked into it, pre covid, all I could remember was that it was substantially more expensive.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Doing a search for rooms, I see mention of Shuttle or Drive. Is there a resort shuttle that runs to town or is this offered individually by the hotels and lodges? I still think I'm more likely to use that pedal and round thingy...

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Doing a search for rooms, I see mention of Shuttle or Drive. Is there a resort shuttle that runs to town or is this offered individually by the hotels and lodges? I still think I'm more likely to use that pedal and round thingy...
There is public transportation, but I can't think of anyone I've talked to that's used it. Perhaps someone else is more familiar. Here's the route info from Taos to TSV:

Driving is usually easy... parking is not much of a problem, and they run "cattle car" type open air shuttles around the parking lot (they are stand-up, with covers, as shown below) to get you up to the base.

1623591005255.png

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe @Wendy was referring to the ski week groups... to be clear for everyone, those are only in the morning if you're doing a ski week. Afternoons are free skiing for everyone.
Yeah, I was referring to the morning instruction groups. Which is the cool thing: we are in appropriate instruction groups in the morning, then can choose where and with whom to ski in the afternoon.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
No!

Who’s up for the hike up Kachina!

Oh wait, that’s so pre-Bacon. Now it’s just another bump run? Is there a replacement for that?
You still gotta hike to get the goods off the Ridge (West Basin area) - plenty of fun for a solid advanced and up skier. Freeride competitions take place in that area (upper Stauffenberg if I remember correctly). The hike is 15-30 min depending on where you are going. I have started doing that in the last 2 years - wasn't up for it before that in my skiing skills. I still get scared by the stuff off the Ridge, but I can manage more or less in good snow conditions, at least with instructor I can do it.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

During the pre-covid times, there used to be a bus between the town of Taos and TSV. It was called the Chili Express. Runs in the winter only. Cost was a dollar or two. Really good deal. Mamie had used it couple times to get into town and back but not for ski days. She said it was free for her.

Yeah, I was referring to the morning instruction groups. Which is the cool thing: we are in appropriate instruction groups in the morning

Usually there will be someone from the gathering in your group.
Keep in mind when it comes to self evaluation of ski ability, most men usually rated themselves a level or two higher. Most women rated themselves a level or two lower. The ability disparity is huge when everyone if riding the keyboard. IRL, all cluster around the middle.

No!

Who’s up for the hike up Kachina!

Oh wait, that’s so pre-Bacon. Now it’s just another bump run? Is there a replacement for that?

Two yeses do not make a no.

They will allow hiking all the way to Kachina Peak if the snow condition is stable prior to the full opening of the peak via the chair.
When the chair is open, the uphill hike ends at Cabin Chute above the patrol shack at chair #4.

Replacement? Why is a replacement required?
The only real change is Main Street becoming a bump run. All the chutes are still there. There are also much more technical terrain off the West Basin Ridge.
If you are missing the hike. You can always take a hike in the backcountry. Plenty hikes out there for free.

James

Out There
Instructor
Staufenberg is on my to-do list.
Heh, I remember getting a tip stuck in a mogul on that. Then the leg twisting. I’m glad the boot had too much room to take up the slack. I think it’s also the first run where I was really glad to now be wearing a helmet. Seemed my hats didn’t have enough padding for the rocks.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
2020 was my first experience with Taos ski week. After my ski off, there was some discussion with one of the instructors regarding my goals and interests. I really appreciated that as I think that helped with a good placement for me. I think they take time talking to skiers on the cusp of 2 levels. I like that.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Staufenberg is on my to-do list.

I don't see why not. That is the easiest way off the West Basin Ridge with the exception of turning around and go over to Highline.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It was pre 2020 but I seem to recall that the Austing Haus used to run it’s own shuttle? If so, does it still do that?
Also does anyone know what changes are coming to the St. Bernard since JM’s passing? I’m so glad that we went in 2020 and got to experience it.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
St. B was sold to Bacon. Wasn't open last season. Have no clue what will happen to it. Won't be surprise it gets razed and something new in its place. Sad.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't see why not. That is the easiest way off the West Basin Ridge with the exception of turning around and go over to Highline.
Stauffenberg stares at you as you come up the lift.

Sponsor

Staff online