• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Taos Mini-Gathering - January 22 - January 29, 2022

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Stauffenberg stares at you as you come up the lift.

You are so easily tempted.

My favorite is St. B. I believe @Tony S have skied it few seasons back. :duck: :ogbiggrin:

Out of the five in front, I like Zdarsky. My first up there was Spitfire back in 1989.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was pre 2020 but I seem to recall that the Austing Haus used to run it’s own shuttle? If so, does it still do that?
Also does anyone know what changes are coming to the St. Bernard since JM’s passing? I’m so glad that we went in 2020 and got to experience it.
They ran it in early Feb 2020 when we were there. Boy did I get my ski week in in the nick of time!

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I have only skied Corner Chute and Wild Wild West trees from the West Basin Ridge area. I am guessing those are the easiest terrain to ski from the Ridge. Zdarsky and Staufenberg look terrifyingly steep, I don't think I am ready for that. I don't want to die. :eek: The Wild Wild West trees are a little out of the way, takes while to get to them, lots of traversing, but it's worth it, great snow in them, especially right after the storm.

Yes Kachina Main Street is a bump run now when the Kachina lift is open, but the snow there is usually better then on other bumps on the mountain. This is the first year I skied off Kachina multiple times in a week and had a great time, not much fear anymore.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
2020 was my first experience with Taos ski week. After my ski off, there was some discussion with one of the instructors regarding my goals and interests. I really appreciated that as I think that helped with a good placement for me. I think they take time talking to skiers on the cusp of 2 levels. I like that.
Yes, I agree. I had to switch a group my first year because I was a bit like you, in between levels. I had a great technique and after ski off was placed in an advanced/expert group that was going to ski off the Ridge. I was definitely not quite an intermediate, but not ready for double black Taos terrain and ended up in low advanced group that was perfect.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Favorite non bump trail at Taos??
:huh:
Do you mean groomer? Or just off-piste that doesn't get completely bumped up (which of course would be snowfall dependent)?

For groomers, I like Lower Stauffenberg and Firlefanz under lift 8 when the groom is good.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be at Taos in February with the SkiDiva crew
Divas need a disruptor. I nominate you. You should go to both gatherings. Take the bad influence from the first and shake up the Divas with it. ("What rocks? Is Ptex your first born or something? Didn't think so. Let's go.")

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Divas need a disruptor. I nominate you. You should go to both gatherings. Take the bad influence from the first and shake up the Divas with it. ("What rocks? Is Ptex your first born or something? Didn't think so. Let's go.")
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I would love to ski with you and other Skitalkers at Taos and I would love to do 2 ski weeks in one winter, but there is this pesky thing called full time job and I happen to love mine. I am an immunologist and immunologists are now cool in this weird pandemic times. :)

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
LOL...just for giggles....Summerfun...my Taosmobile at Telluride waiting for storm...(I went for an evening burger and parked backwards)...

20170323_084156.jpg

And the storm hit just right...:)...
20170324_080431.jpg

Tuesday Jan 24, 2017 Taos entry...
20170124_091902.jpg

Pat and Bob just invited me to rent a house for next Taos GTG...I'm in. :)

What we are looking forward to...Taos fun...
20170126_140845.jpg
20170126_130828.jpg

Last edited: