• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Taos Mini-Gathering - January 22 - January 29, 2022

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
How does a private ski week change exposure risk? Because you're not riding the lift with strangers? Serious question.

Now, the obvious group, if you were going to go private for this reason, would be your housemates, right? I'm afraid mine would have to kill me if we were spending 24 x 7 with each other all week.
You can actually split the private ski week to not ski with anyone. You are buying 15 hours of private instruction (2.5hr x 6) and you can work with the instructor to schedule it however you want.
I have been been sharing private weeks for years. Sometimes I take it together with friends, sometimes we split the days, sometimes we do full days for just 3 days. I don’t like to be in lessons all week long so sharing works for me.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Noooo. Never bend over to pick anything up. Always use your poles. If you have bamboo poles you can pretend they're chopsticks.
Turns out you can ski without bending over.

A week ago I was skiing at Loon in New Hampshire, and feeling good for the first day of the season. I was even playing in the ice moguls that formed around the snow guns. I got complacent and overconfident and ventured into the thin ice along edge of the trail past the last gun. Something grabbed a ski ... I did a classic "superman" fall, flying headfirst parallel to the ground. Unfortunately I cannot fly as long as superman, so I landed hard on the ice shield in the middle of the trail, bruising my ribs.

When I went out the next day I found a glove frozen into the ice with a couple fingers sticking out, about where I lost the ski.

Yeah, I went out the next day. Doing up my boots was very difficult... doing up your boots would have been impossible. Skiing actually wasn't bad. The hard part was leaning forward at the top of the lift so I could stand up to unload.

And as Tony suggested, I used my poles to pick up everything at the end of the ski day.

I'm feeling much better after a week. I can reach the floor now. And I've got another week to heal some more. But I may have to dial it back a bit at Taos.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI. TSV requires all staff to be vaccinated, so whoever is teaching this season is already vaccinated.

How does a private ski week change exposure risk? Because you're not riding the lift with strangers? Serious question.

Now, the obvious group, if you were going to go private for this reason, would be your housemates, right? I'm afraid mine would have to kill me if we were spending 24 x 7 with each other all week.

Not concerned with the staff. Other guests, not so much.
A private ski week with folks one knows keeps the bubble small.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Turns out you can ski without bending over.

A week ago I was skiing at Loon in New Hampshire, and feeling good for the first day of the season. I was even playing in the ice moguls that formed around the snow guns. I got complacent and overconfident and ventured into the thin ice along edge of the trail past the last gun. Something grabbed a ski ... I did a classic "superman" fall, flying headfirst parallel to the ground. Unfortunately I cannot fly as long as superman, so I landed hard on the ice shield in the middle of the trail, bruising my ribs.

When I went out the next day I found a glove frozen into the ice with a couple fingers sticking out, about where I lost the ski.

Yeah, I went out the next day. Doing up my boots was very difficult... doing up your boots would have been impossible. Skiing actually wasn't bad. The hard part was leaning forward at the top of the lift so I could stand up to unload.

And as Tony suggested, I used my poles to pick up everything at the end of the ski day.

I'm feeling much better after a week. I can reach the floor now. And I've got another week to heal some more. But I may have to dial it back a bit at Taos.
I bow to your toughness. Just call me wussy. Heating pad, ice and Voltaren are helping. I am pretty sure I will be able to ski by then. Or hope! :hail::crossfingers:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I bow to your toughness. Just call me wussy. Heating pad, ice and Voltaren are helping. I am pretty sure I will be able to ski by then. Or hope! :hail::crossfingers:
Well, I did only ski a half day.

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
New Mexico Cuisine should not be confused with Mexican or Tex-Mex. It is a bit different (and better). That said, most anyplace in Taos advertising "Mexican" will be New Mexican or SW cuisine. Two of our favorites are Maria's, just past Lottaburger for fast food and Antonio's taste of Mexico for creative upscale dishes.
There is a risk that places advertising "Mexican" may be pandering to tourists and should be avoided.
Also, it's spelled Lotaburger (very important). A good spot to stop, though, in Santa Fe or Espanola if your snowy drive from ABQ is breaking bad.
1642130887360.png
If you want to watch a New Mexico foodie movie, check out "Off the Menu" Not a great movie but filmed in Taos.
I was pretty sure I was gonna have to correct you or your spellchecker, as the movie I thought of was "Off the Map"
Also filmed in Taos, but more of an enchanting drama. 2003 (but set in 1974), starring Sam Elliot and Joan Allen. I liked it a lot, but ya gotta like quirky dramas to like it. (ref. Charlie Kaufman's "Adaptation" "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" etc)

Of course, "New Mexico" is one of the movie's characters, too, just part of the cultural whiplash many folks experience when visiting the "Land of Enchantment"

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Blake's Lotaburger
All these years going to New Mexico and it never occurred to me that a burger chain in New Mexico would be a New Mexico burger chain! :doh:

I see they have a Carne Adovada Burrito on the breakfast menu.:yahoo:

James

Out There
Instructor
What’s the over/under on how many show up? Not that anyone counts at these things anyway.
The classic- “I was there all week but never saw you guys because I was with my third cousin and their baby chimp who needed special care”

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
What’s the over/under on how many show up? Not that anyone counts at these things anyway.
The classic- “I was there all week but never saw you guys because I was with my third cousin and their baby chimp who needed special care”

I'm not thumbing my nose at a week of dedicated goomer zoomin' if that's what I'm dealt. I'll work on my skiing and hopefully find some helpful folks willing to assist with getting video.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
PSA: There have been several gathering cancellations due to concerns of the transmissibility of Omicron variant. TBH, I believe the concerns are well placed. Several others have since booked private ski weeks to mitigate some of the concerns and exposures. It is actually a good move. Money wise, it's a wash for a group of 4.

Options.
Having never done a ski week... do you spend significant time indoors as a group? I thought lessons were just a couple hours each day? Is it normal to eat lunch as group and do some more skiing together in afternoon? Video review indoors?

Not in the cards this year but definitely want to partake in the ski week sometime in the next few years.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
a week of dedicated goomer zoomin'
:( I continue to hope fervently that it doesn't come to that. Been living in that state for Easternity (TM) and ... well, it gets old even when you don't have killer terrain looming over you that you flew across a continent to ski.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Having never done a ski week... do you spend significant time indoors as a group? I thought lessons were just a couple hours each day? Is it normal to eat lunch as group and do some more skiing together in afternoon? Video review indoors?

Not in the cards this year but definitely want to partake in the ski week sometime in the next few years.

Indoor time are not required. It's all outdoor time. Lunch groups are up to individual discretion. Video MA is usually indoor, but they can leave the door open if needed.

:( I continue to hope fervently that it doesn't come to that. Been living in that state for Easternity (TM) and ... well, it gets old even when you don't have killer terrain looming over you that you flew across a continent to ski.

No need for the doom & gloom. Both ridges are open. So are the upper and lower fun. There will be enough terrain to get you hurt. :ogbiggrin:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No need for the doom & gloom. Both ridges are open. So are the upper and lower fun. There will be enough terrain to get you hurt. :ogbiggrin:
You are making me very happy right now, KG.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Indoor time are not required. It's all outdoor time. Lunch groups are up to individual discretion. Video MA is usually indoor, but they can leave the door open if needed.

Yep, but of course, bring your rock skis!

James

Out There
Instructor
A ski week makes almost zero difference to your exposure chances. If you want to keep it low, stay out of crowded lodges and bars/restaurants. Or get people to stop breathing near you.

To increase exposure, go to a hockey game. Or compare this to dining in a crowded place.

D0937328-ECF6-4B31-A0A7-59B8194450B8.jpeg
This is end of last May in Boston.

Sponsor