• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Taos Mini-Gathering - January 22 - January 29, 2022

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, if your choices were Enforcer 93s or Liberty V76s, and you could only pick one, which one? (For DH). Leaning towards the V76s based on current conditions, but debating.
Take whichever he enjoys the most as a daily driver. If needed Le Ski Mastery has great demos!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, if your choices were Enforcer 93s or Liberty V76s, and you could only pick one, which one? (For DH). Leaning towards the V76s based on current conditions, but debating.
My two cents: If DH is a groomers-only guy, then the Libertys. Otherwise the Enforcer. Especially if a little snow emerges. Obviously this is based on a combination of personal preference and general principles. The general principle is that Taos has a lot of bumps and tight steep terrain where low speed agility - read pivotability - trumps high edge angles and carved turns. This suggests a ski with some rocker and tip taper. Hope that helps.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Time to start prepping skis this week for the trip. So my question is whether the groomers are free of hitting rocks. Here in CO, groomer zooming is currently safe for any ski I care about. What's the status of the TSV groomers?

Calling
@KingGrump
@FlyingAce

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Time to start prepping skis this week for the trip. So my question is whether the groomers are free of hitting rocks. Here in CO, groomer zooming is currently safe for any ski I care about. What's the status of the TSV groomers?

Calling
@KingGrump
@FlyingAce
I have not hit any rocks on groomers yet, just some icy spots and uneven grooming that has taken me by surprise a few times. I think coverage is still ok on most groomed runs. Everything was skied up by 10ish (busy weekend). They are making snow on Baby bear and Papa bear today. They have groomed Lower Staffy/Firlefanz from my view off chair 2 but that area is still closed. They closed off Porcupine this week for Race Week and other race training.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, Peter and I are going! We haven’t had a solid vacation in 2 years. I haven’t skied or touched snow in 2 years!…We are viewing it as a nice relaxing stay in magical New Mexico, a way to see old friends, and appreciate nature. We will prob take a day or two off to do some exploring we’ve always wanted to do - ojo caliente spa, earth home viewing, pueblos, visiting pottery studios (iif open), etc…

Are there any/enough people interested in having a private intermediate level ski week? I will prob want to start from scratch.

let me know if any interest in any of the above!

we are both vaccinated and boosted. Bringing 4 boxes of precious hoarded home tests and all the types of masks.

open to eating out at well ventilated uncrowded places…
One of these days you should go here. I don’t think it’s been ruined yet, but I was there in the early 90’s. A very long dirt road keeps the tour buses out. (Prob not smart to go in winter in a rental car. Plus it’s about 3 1/2hrs from Santa Fe)
EA5A2649-9CF6-441C-8AF6-26DDFCD95605.jpeg
Fajada Butte at Chaco Culture National Historical Park photo: Eric Jay Toll
Way back then a friend and I were driving cross country, he going to Santa Fe. In some place we were or staying was that wizened older dude in the corner with a cigarette. He’a the one who told us one place we had to go to see was Chaco Canyon. He wasn’t wrong.

A very special place, convinced me at the time we shouldn’t drill for oil in the Arctic National Refuge. At the time that was a highly debated topic. I guess we just blew right over that ban.

www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2021/07/chaco-culture-national-historical-park-hard-reach-filled-unexpected

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Robert Redford narrated a documentary on Chaco called The Sun Dagger. Brilliant. I think it was remade as The Mystery of Chaco Canyon. With so little snow you could probably get there in winter. Summer is hot as an oven. Spring or fall is best.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Calling
@KingGrump
@FlyingAce

In transit. Things came up. Had to push it back a week. Will be skiing Wed.

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
Things just started looking more settled for a small storm hitting the 21st to 23rd. Not enough to make me motivate south, but makes me happy for my normal March residency.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm in! Am here now, reasonably good snow coverage. Snow is thin on the bottom of Al's Run but appears OK up top (I'm not good enough, just saying what I see from the lift).
Cool. Are you related to @JohnL ?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm in! Am here now, reasonably good snow coverage. Snow is thin on the bottom of Al's Run but appears OK up top (I'm not good enough, just saying what I see from the lift).
Snow is often thin at the bottom of Al's, even in a big snow year.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skis tuned, waxed.

How is coverage off the groomers? Rock ski territory?

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skis tuned, waxed.

How is coverage off the groomers? Rock ski territory?
See post#764.

No rocks on groomers. I didn’t go over to #4 today so I did not see the progress on Baby Bear or Papa Bear. There was snowmaking on Firlefanz. They closed off the crossover from Whitefeather to Tell Glade so no update on Lower Stauffy. Blitz has surprisingly good coverage but rocks on Reformer. Didn’t get to ski Rhoda’s/Spencer’s/Inferno the last 2 days because they closed Porcupine for race camp and I wasn’t going down Al’s to get there.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Best groomed run today was Bambi. Worse was Powderhorn. There were lots of weird patches/dips/ridges (not sure what they are called) of snow on Maxie’s, Totemoff, Honeysuckle and Shalako. Also lots of deep trenches from snow mobile. The only run that I saw dirt was at the bottom of Maxie’s.

Sponsor