• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Taos Mini-Gathering - January 22 - January 29, 2022

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a note for folks meeting up... I plan to be booted up and hanging out on the patio near lift 1 by 8:45 on Sunday morning (lifts start at 9:00)... if you have any questions about where to go, or ski week, etc. or just want to say hello, I'll be wearing red pants, white/grey jacket... like this (but with a black helmet):

1642648579086.png

1:00 meet-up will be around the same area. It would be great to meet everyone!

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
The small grocery store (Bumps) is still there. You can get a breakfast burrito there in the AM, made while you wait, but bring a big appetite. There is also CID's market which, according to the Dining Taos ski valley also has breakfast burritos but haven't tried it. Haven't found a place that sells fresh fruit, so you should get it in Taos itself.

Dinner options are limited: 192 at the Blake, Blonde Bear ay Edelweiss, and Hondo at Snakedance. Unfortunately St. Bernard's closed this season since Jean Mayer passed last year.

Unfortunately I have fallen and bumped my head twice, and got a (hopefully mild) concussion, so am out for a few days, hope to be recovered by next week.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Just a note for folks meeting up... I plan to be booted up and hanging out on the patio near lift 1 by 8:45 on Sunday morning (lifts start at 9:00)... if you have any questions about where to go, or ski week, etc. or just want to say hello, I'll be wearing red pants, white/grey jacket... like this (but with a black helmet):

I'm planning on making the 1 p.m. meet-up...

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Top part looks good. Bottom part looks ... probably survivable.
Yeah, but will your skis survive. Damn, was looking forward to lapping Al's. I may have to rethink my choice of skis to bring. Problem is, my rock skis all kinda suck right now.

Are those rocks after the cut off to Inferno or Wayne's Abbey

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, but will your skis survive. Damn, was looking forward to lapping Al's. I may have to rethink my choice of skis to bring. Problem is, my rock skis all kinda suck right now.

Well you can check from the chair. Certainly after the 1st exit.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier

Worse is closer to Wayne’s.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Buy the Ullr. Drink the Ullr.

ULLR_1200x1200.png
No

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The bumps on upper is ugly as usual. You can get to Inferno from there. Middle Al's is bushie. Porcie is closed this week in the morning for race camp. It'll be open all day next week.

Should be quiet next week.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The bumps on upper is ugly as usual. You can get to Inferno from there. Middle Al's is bushie. Porcie is closed this week in the morning for race camp. It'll be open all day next week.

Thanks for the intel.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier

They allowed access to Rhoda’s and Spencer’s from Porcupine off the right side this week. Porcupine closed only until 1:30 all week.

Are you skiing today?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What about Slim?

Slim is the strong and silent type. Qualities that do not work out well in videos.
Had a tough go at it the last time I spoke with him about summer employment opportunities at Taos. Man of few words. Had to carry most of the conversation myself.

1642695934896.jpeg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 155949

Thanks, db.

Maybe this has been mentioned, but if you are taking the Ski Week and, like me, are arriving Saturday and your first ski day of the week is Sunday, it will probably pay to arrive at the hill early. In the past, at least, a check in at the Ski School desk was required to pick up a voucher that you later redeem with an instructor to verify your enrollment in the program. (Does anyone know if this still the routine?)

Then, having done that, it's nice to be able to get in at least one warmup run before the ski-off.

Sponsor

Staff online