• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Taos Mini-Gathering - January 22 - January 29, 2022

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, db.

Maybe this has been mentioned, but if you are taking the Ski Week and, like me, are arriving Saturday and your first ski day of the week is Sunday, it will probably pay to arrive at the hill early. In the past, at least, a check in at the Ski School desk was required to pick up a voucher that you later redeem with an instructor to verify your enrollment in the program. (Does anyone know if this still the routine?)

Then, having done that, it's nice to be able to get in at least one warmup run before the ski-off.
Does anyone have an up to date high res map of the base area, with building legend? I found a low-res map here (that I can't really read on my laptop), and a high res map that pre-dates some recent changes like the Blake expansion.

James

Out There
Instructor
Slim is the strong and silent type. Qualities that do not work out well in videos.
Had a tough go at it the last time I spoke with him about summer employment opportunities at Taos. Man of few words. Had to carry most of the conversation myself.

View attachment 156070
What boots does slim have? Maybe @mdf can donate his when he’s “done” with them.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What boots does slim have? Maybe @mdf can donate his when he’s “done” with them.

Nah, Slim is on a much newer boot. Looks like a 4 buckle Lange pink panther.
The rear entry boots don't provide enough support in high speed self arrest situations.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone have an up to date high res map of the base area, with building legend? I found a low-res map here (that I can't really read on my laptop), and a high res map that pre-dates some recent changes like the Blake expansion.
The one you linked is relatively high-res, but I find I have to open or save the image itself to zoom in on it to be able to read it.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe you and Slim can have a talk with mdf?

Slim is a public safety guy. He could and should.
Me, I just let the world be. Not my problem. I already have Mamie.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Glad to see Castor and Pollux listed as "open". My bases need a good stone grind. Looking forward to shredding groomers and spreading rumors.

I'm on the fence for Ski Week. I know that's the point of the mini gathering, but some logistics are getting in the way.

If anyone interested in doing some touring and/or has a recommendation for a guide or guide company, let's connect.

Mask up and safe travels!

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You weren’t at the 2012 Gathering, were you.
I get it. Sacrifies must be made.

But the time I DID drink the stuff I almost wasn't at THAT Gathering anymore.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Incase anyone is driving to the ski valley and would prefer to boot up/take breaks at your car instead of at the base, here’s the parking situation:

Yellow - where they’d like you to park and take the shuttle. It is an uphill walk to the base.
Green - HOV parking (free). I think 3 or more people in vehicle.
Purple - hotel and condo parking
Pink - Family parking (free)
Red - Paid parking
Blue - IMO, the closest and easiest walk to base without taking the shuttle.

View attachment 155902
The whole parking area pictured above basically has a counter-clockwise flow. So when you come in you will be coming in from where the "a" in "alley" is in FA's photo above. (Before that there is a right turn to the base of the kids' area. Do not take that. I parked there the first day of my first visit and got laughed by the the Grumps at as I arrived via La Gondolita with all the tykes and grandparents.) The take away for people like me who prefer directive instruction is to drive right past the parking guys (who want you to park in the yellow area) and continue like you were going to drop off a passenger. Drive past that location and through the pink part (unless you are tromano) and park in blue.

1642707129286.png

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm on the fence for Ski Week. I know that's the point of the mini gathering, but some logistics are getting in the way.

If anyone interested in doing some touring and/or has a recommendation for a guide or guide company, let's connect.
You SO sat at the back of the classroom in school.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was just told Firlefanz will open this Saturday. I got distracted with something else and forgot to ask if that means Chair 8 wil be spinning too...but if Firlefanz is ready, Lower Stauffy should be too!

Last edited:

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey everyone, I'm out. I just tested positive for Covid. I feel okay and had a great day skiing at Steamboat today but feel it's advisable to head home. If anyone wants a cheap, $100 ski week, get in touch. Have fun and stay safe!

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey everyone, I'm out. I just tested positive for Covid. I feel okay and had a great day skiing at Steamboat today but feel it's advisable to head home. If anyone wants a cheap, $100 ski week, get in touch. Have fun and stay safe!
Sorry about testing positive. Check TSV website or call. I thought I saw something regarding refunds due to covid if you have documentation.

Sponsor

Staff online