• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Taos Mini-Gathering - January 22 - January 29, 2022

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was gonna really try and make this trip, but it is the last week of duck hunting season for me. Look forward to seeing all the pics and stories... And remember..

:useless:

Also, I'll have my eye on the webcam and the legendary fire pit spot, and also Highline webcam, I wanna see you guys on TV. :ogbiggrin:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most of the groomed trails are skiing well. Lower front runs are in decent shape. Al's is probably the worst run in the bunch. Rhoda is probably run of the day. Both spencer and Inferno are well covered. Edelweiss Gully and Glade are in good shape for exiting into Skyway.

Upper front are in good shape. Stay off reformer and you'll be fine.
The couple extra inches over night (on the mountain) softened things a bit.

Talk to the ski school supervisor about extra instructors for the coming week. They will be ready for you guys.

See you guys in couple days.

Last edited:

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
3 of us traveling tomorrow (same 3 as last time) - planning to get warmed up Saturday. Looks like we'll have 2 semi-locals joining us mon/tues.
See y'all soon!

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We will be around tomorrow :wave: but it will be a rest day. Skiiing starts Saturday for us.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My recommendations on eating.

If you are in Taos, you got lots of options, you are good. In the Valley, not many options...

* Make reservations, otherwise you will be eating late, like 9:00
* Hondo is your bread and butter, not great but not bad. Don't get the steak Texas Style, they cover it with gravy, that is not Texas Style. If I eat there again, I would go for the Chicken Fried Steak, I bet that is pretty good. I got their mexcican dish, enchiladas, it was average, not bad, I would not call it good.
* You want to eat at the Blake, bring your vaccination card. We never ate there, my daughter did not have hers on our trip.
* The Blonde Bear Tavern, I got Baby Back ribs, they were terrible, reheated, old... I would pass on this place.
* Ale House, this place was a zoo. For good reason I guess, the food was great!
* The spot FlyingAce posted, that looks happening. They got music going (on weekends), fire pit, looks like a cool spot. Did not eat there..

If I stay in the Valley, I'm bringing my own food and cooking my own meals.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

If you are in Taos, you got lots of options, you are good. In the Valley, not many options...

* Hondo is your bread and butter, not great but not bad. Don't get the steak Texas Style, they cover it with gravy, that is not Texas Style. If I eat there again, I would go for the Chicken Fried Steak, I bet that is pretty good. I got their mexcican dish, enchiladas, it was average, not bad, I would not call it good.
* You want to eat at the Blake, bring your vaccination card. We never ate there, my daughter did not have hers on our trip.
* The Blonde Bear Tavern, I got Baby Back ribs, they were terrible, reheated, old, etc... I would pass on this place.
* The spot FlyingAce posted, that looks happening. They got music going (on weekends), fire pit, looks like a cool spot. Did not eat there..

I wish Tim's was still there. :(

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That was Tim's.... full name "Tim's Stray Dog Cantina".
LOL….I just knew it as the stray dog. That was my hangout. There and Bernard’s in the lounge. Before they tore everything down where the ice rink now is I used to hang in (may get the name wrong but I think it was) the Alpine Brewing Co. next door to LeSki.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't wait for @AKMINK to retire so we can join the group. Lord knows my bump skiing (and powder, and groomer, and...) needs help!

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Michael's Kitchen in town just south of El Pueblo Lodge-My favorite hotel............is excellent for breakfast.
Most of the motles/hotels, are not doing breakfast. El Pueblo Lodge looks nice, I stayed at Kachina accross the street, cheaper, the name is more legendary, a cheaper option. I like how there is one way in and out, kinda like a fort..

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most of the motles/hotels, are not doing breakfast. El Pueblo Lodge looks nice, I stayed at Kachina accross the street, cheaper, the name is more legendary, a cheaper option. I like how there is one way in and out, kinda like a fort..
I’m pretty sure I stayed at Pueblo 5 or so years ago. Nice bar and restaurant in the main building. The bartender was also a Taos ski instructor. Can’t recall his name now.

skiNM

Booting up
Skier

* The Blonde Bear Tavern, I got Baby Back ribs, they were terrible, reheated, old... I would pass on this place.

Longtime ski talk lurker and NM local and I thought I’d chime in on food. In general I agree with Tex. The new ale house / pizza place where Tim’s used to be is good—it’s Detroit style pizza, wings, burgers, etc. Not quite to the level of Brown Dog Pizza in Telluride (ah the gold hill pizza is just so good), but still good and a refreshing new dining alternative in the valley. Never had the ribs, but my many experiences at Blonde Bear have been really good if you want a bit more upscale dining, and I would recommend it, although I haven’t been there post pandemic. 192–meh. Last few years they had terrible food and great cocktails. Now a new menu with ok to good food and terrible cocktails.

in general I like supporting the non TSV places (Hondo, ale house, blonde bear) since I think the food is generally better and the prices more reasonable. I eat lunch at the Hondo the majority of my ski days. The green chile lamb stew is worth a try, but it can get spicy—you’ve been warned!

Aceq is really good if you want to venture down the mountain to arroyo seco (that funky little town halfway between Taos and the valley) for dinner.

Sponsor

Staff online