• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Taos Mini-Gathering - January 22 - January 29, 2022

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
To quote Marlon Brando as the Godfather, “Look how they massacred my boy” :ogbiggrin:
Nothing a bowl of green chile stew and a beer won't cure.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Yep, I skied it together with @ADKmel on Monday in our private ski week group and yesterday with @KingGrump and his family. I took these pictures from the Kachina lift on Monday.

Shout out to @KingGrump for letting me ski with him and their family in the afternoons, so much fun. I suck in my skiing sometimes more, sometimes less (suck at a higher level?) but skiing with the Grumps is always a lot of fun.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
To quote Marlon Brando as the Godfather, “Look how they massacred my boy” :ogbiggrin:
There is terrain off the Ridge that doesn't have many bumps (not yet anyway), but it takes hiking and it's in steep trees. I skied Corner Chute today with our ski week instructor and ski week group, the snow was marvelous, powdery, very few if any bumps, good coverage.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There is terrain off the Ridge that doesn't have many bumps (not yet anyway), but it takes hiking and it's in steep trees. I skied Corner Chute today with our ski week instructor and ski week group, the snow was marvelous, powdery, very few if any bumps, good coverage.
:beercheer:

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've found that bumps are a good thing provided they are not rock hard ice. I need something to keep me from careening all the way down when i take a spill.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've found that bumps are a good thing provided they are not rock hard ice. I need something to keep me from careening all the way down when i take a spill.
In the Rockies they have this thing called actual snow that often prevents that all by itself.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
skiing with the Grumps is always a lot of fun
Skiing with the Grumps is always an adventure. (Fixed it for you.)

Mrs Grump heckles me about my muffin top. King Grump scowls when my turns are not Taos Turns(tm, pat pend) and tells me I never learn.

Basically it's like skiing with your parents. You love them but they drive you crazy.

Fortunately I'm usually able to turn to one of my "siblings" in the group and get an appreciative reaction when I roll my eyes.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The siblings are just happy you have their attention.

James

Out There
Instructor
Skiing with the Grumps is always an adventure. (Fixed it for you.)

Mrs Grump heckles me about my muffin top. King Grump scowls when my turns are not Taos Turns(tm, pat pend) and tells me I never learn.

Basically it's like skiing with your parents. You love them but they drive you crazy.

Fortunately I'm usually able to turn to one of my "siblings" in the group and get an appreciative reaction when I roll my eyes.
Now I really need to come to play the annoying brother…

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That snow looks so good.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I laughed reading this WaPo article, Taos Ski Week gathering sounds awfully similar to it:

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
View attachment 159144
So you go in there and feed them everyday so they grow out of the moguls?
I was invited to ski R&R with them that day but I opted out because before lunch I hikes the Ridge again and skied Zdarsky via Waterfowl entrance with my ski week instructor and one other ski week student who was up for it. Well let's just say I survived Zdarsky and has enough of an adventure for the day on that particular day that I didn't feel like another adventure.

I skied R&R today with my ski week instructor who kindly offered to ski with me after lunch. It went better then Zdarsky but I was still terrified. I was relieved when we skied out onto Longhorn (not an easy run by any means) :D because I skied Longhorn a few days prior with @KingGrump and his family and knew I could ski it fine. I can confirm that snow in R&R is great but it is a very steep tree run and was terrifying to me.

This was an amazing ski week! My 6th ski week, 6th year. I will be back to Taos again.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was invited to ski R&R with them that day but I opted out because before lunch I hikes the Ridge again and skied Zdarsky via Waterfowl entrance with my ski week instructor and one other ski week student who was up for it. Well let's just say I survived Zdarsky and has enough of an adventure for the day on that particular day that I didn't feel like another adventure.

I skied R&R today with my ski week instructor who kindly offered to ski with me after lunch. It went better then Zdarsky but I was still terrified. I was relieved when we skied out onto Longhorn (not an easy run by any means) :D because I skied Longhorn a few days prior with @KingGrump and his family and knew I could ski it fine. I can confirm that snow in R&R is great but it is a very steep tree run and was terrifying to me.

This was an amazing ski week! My 6th ski week, 6th year. I will be back to Taos again.
Sounds like you had an awesome group plus all the snow to boot! Who was your instructor? Was this the “womens ski week”? Next year, Dave and I discussed possibly putting together our own private. I think we might be compatible! I have a big need for adventure but lack technical discipline….at least I rediscovered the joy of skiing this trip, skiing with old and new friends after lunch was the best!
I actually got worse in my actual classes, but it’s cool to say I skiied with Owen Wilson!

Until next year!

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Dave and I discussed possibly putting together our own private. I think we might be compatible! I have a big need for adventure but lack technical discipline…
And I said sounds like I'm the opposite - I'm working a lot on technical stuff, but I'm not very adventurous... @Pumba was in a higher group than me this year, and really pushed herself. I loved my instructor (Rick Baca) and would definitely consider a private with him next year.

Though I do like the idea of switching things up too... including 4 Taos ski weeks with 4 different instructors, I've have lessons with 9 different instructors in the last 6 years (4 ski weeks, 4 locally in private lessons, and 1 out west in a private). And I think I've gotten something different and useful from each; Though some lessons have seemed much more valuable than others.

Sponsor

Staff online