• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Taos Mini-Gathering - January 22 - January 29, 2022

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I made my five day reservation no problem.
Both Mamie and I have 2 each on our pass. Hit us up at the start of gathering to see if they are available. FIFO.
Yeah, I'll need those tickets. I arrive on Sat so will talk to you Sunday morning. Hopefully there will be a few other TSV pass holders to share out tickets to the needy.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I made my five day reservation no problem.

Yeah, I'll need those tickets. I arrive on Sat so will talk to you Sunday morning. Hopefully there will be a few other TSV pass holders to share out tickets to the needy.

I'll save them for you. :beercheer:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Made Reservations for the week. Still not sure if I'll do a ski-week or just commute from SF. Depends on how the DH is recovering.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Made my IKON pass reservations and then checked if I had to do the same with my A-Basin pass (which provides 3 free days at Taos) and didn't find anything. So it looks like only IKON passholders are required to make reservations at Taos in advance. With my A-Basin pass I can just show up. WTH

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Made my IKON pass reservations and then checked if I had to do the same with my A-Basin pass (which provides 3 free days at Taos) and didn't find anything. So it looks like only IKON passholders are required to make reservations at Taos in advance. With my A-Basin pass I can just show up. WTH
Imagine trying to work the ticket desk at these places.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I would guess it’s because Ikon has a bigger impact.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Makes sense. Mollifies locals who are seeing so much change up there and, like Jackson et al, are possibly blaming it on IKON. Likely a contributor but with the new owner and lots of renovation and way better PR, it is attracting a lot of folks who didn't have it on their radar before. From 2000 to 2015 the place did not change perceptibly. Now the sleepy but mighty little mountain we knew is still mighty but is fast transforming into a bona fide resort.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In its heydays of the '90's, TSV was logging around 350K skier days per season. just before Bacon bought the place, they were running less than 200K. It was circling the drain in a very rapid manner. Yeah, it certainly was uncrowded. Give it few more years, there would be no crowd at all when the lift stop running. Perhaps, that is what the "locals" really wanted. A backcountry ski area?
Currently, TSV is nowhere near the 350K skier days of its heyday.

Of course, there is the 6,000 pound elephant in the room. Bacon's $300+ million investment in the valley. I truly believe he would like some ROI on his millions. Dude definitely didn't get rich by flushing his money down the toilet.

People generally have very short memories. The locals especially like the blame the Ikon pass. Regardless which resort these "locals" are located.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In its heydays of the '90's, TSV was logging around 350K skier days per season. just before Bacon bought the place, they were running less than 200K. It was circling the drain in a very rapid manner. Yeah, it certainly was uncrowded. Give it few more years, there would be no crowd at all when the lift stop running. Perhaps, that is what the "locals" really wanted. A backcountry ski area?
Currently, TSV is nowhere near the 350K skier days of its heyday.

Of course, there is the 6,000 pound elephant in the room. Bacon's $300+ million investment in the valley. I truly believe he would like some ROI on his millions. Dude definitely didn't get rich by flushing his money down the toilet.

People generally have very short memories. The locals especially like the blame the Ikon pass. Regardless which resort these "locals" are located.
Totally agree.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I received an email regarding policies for this season. For reference, I added a screenshot below. Anyone who usually just buys their ski week upon arrival, probably needs to reserve now to assure a spot. I have already reserved my ski week and my lift tickets.

I am wondering if the Tenderfoot Katie's is the main cafeteria at the base? If so, do we need to make our reservations now?
@KingGrump

Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 9.31.10 AM.png

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just curious, what is their refund policy if something happens you have to cancel your trip?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I received an email regarding policies for this season. For reference, I added a screenshot below. Anyone who usually just buys their ski week upon arrival, probably needs to reserve now to assure a spot. I have already reserved my ski week and my lift tickets.

I am wondering if the Tenderfoot Katie's is the main cafeteria at the base? If so, do we need to make our reservations now?
@KingGrump

View attachment 148821
Bottom line, make sure you always have a sandwich in your pocket. :)

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I sent a query asking how far in advance we need to make lunchtime reservations. I’m hoping it’s just the day before, but we’ll see.
Could we reserve a couple of tables for the same time all week?

Sponsor

Staff online