• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Toyota Land Cruiser

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know these get a lot of love here but unfortunately we are not going to see it in the states.

20210610_01_04.jpg

From Autoblog:
Here it is, folks. After a long and globally successful 14-year run, the LC200-series Toyota Land Cruiser is finally being replaced with an all-new model. The LC300 Land Cruiser may be a clear evolution of past models, with blocky styling and off-road specifications designed to reliably cope with the harshest conditions and climates the world has to offer, but it’s clearly been modernized to meet ever-changing market realities and regulations.

Before we go any further, we should be clear that there currently don’t seem to be any plans to bring this latest Land Cruiser to the United States. American buyers have proven much more willing to spend big money on luxurious and rugged SUVs wearing the Lexus badge, and rumors suggest the U.S. will get a fresh new LX model but not the Toyota on which it is based. We hope to get confirmation and more details from Lexus at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Full article and images here: https://www.autoblog.com/2021/06/09/toyota-land-cruiser-lc300-v6-turbo-engine/

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I know these get a lot of love here but unfortunately we are not going to see it in the states.

20210610_01_04.jpg

From Autoblog:
Here it is, folks. After a long and globally successful 14-year run, the LC200-series Toyota Land Cruiser is finally being replaced with an all-new model. The LC300 Land Cruiser may be a clear evolution of past models, with blocky styling and off-road specifications designed to reliably cope with the harshest conditions and climates the world has to offer, but it’s clearly been modernized to meet ever-changing market realities and regulations.

Before we go any further, we should be clear that there currently don’t seem to be any plans to bring this latest Land Cruiser to the United States. American buyers have proven much more willing to spend big money on luxurious and rugged SUVs wearing the Lexus badge, and rumors suggest the U.S. will get a fresh new LX model but not the Toyota on which it is based. We hope to get confirmation and more details from Lexus at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Full article and images here: https://www.autoblog.com/2021/06/09/toyota-land-cruiser-lc300-v6-turbo-engine/
It looks like a Tahoe that got rear ended.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
True but Lexus LX 570 basically IS a Land Cruiser and it is still available here.
View attachment 135520
I just can't do this one. That front end is hideous! I don't get the huge grill, especially when so much of it is just cosmetic. Air doesn't even go through the whole thing.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
We’re real Landcruiser fans, but “stuck” on a couple of things. No offense to anybody, at all, but we much prefer a Toyota branded vehicle to a Lexus. Always have. Ours is our third 100. We put over 700K in miles on the first two. With few issues. No Lexus badges!

We love the “relative” simplicity of our most recent one.It’s a 2003 100. That’s the last year they were built with simple things like a dipstick for the transmission. The first year of the 5 speed transmission. A few were built without the now very dated Nav system. Ours is a “Nav delete” build. Which is great. Easier to work with.

Bought with about 85K miles. Completely rust free. Now has 155K miles, and seriously is nicely broken in. We know what to watch for and look for, in terms of the occasional odd repair. We have owned A LOT of cars, and our LC’s have been incredibly reliable.

Ours is about to get a bit of a cosmetic refresh, and will be looking pretty much like a new 2003 100.

Obviously the cost is the cost, and selling new ones at their price point was easier with the Lexus badge and comforts. I know quite a few friends with fairly new ones….some leased, some bought new and in either case, run through their various businesses.

I have not kept up with a lot of details about the new ones, as frankly, my soon to be newly refreshed 18 year old one appeals to me much more.

Really perfect for us. As were the previous two.

Sad to see the line coming to the USA coming to a stop. Makes sense, though. The prices of all high end big SUV’s is steep.
And most love that Lexus badge, the Lexus leather and such. Still, I believe a tough sale…..

Best of luck to them….seriously!

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I for one (of many?) that are not fans of the Lexus Preditor grill...if looking in this segment, it would stop me from a purchase, the same can be said for the Escalade which kept us with the GMC version and for that matter, really made the Suburban a distant second. But I digress. If other brands can survive with badge engineering in this segment, why cannot Toyota/Lexus?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I for one (of many?) that are not fans of the Lexus Preditor grill...if looking in this segment, it would stop me from a purchase,
That Lexus signature hourglass grill is imo up there with the Ford Edsel in terms of g.o.a.t. ugly. And to have it throughout the entire Lexus brand??? :huh:

Muleski

Inactive
Evidently was part of a large private collection. Pretty sure the biggest and most well known one in NH. Owner passed away a year ago…I believe they began liquidating cars a couple of years before. However….almost ALL of hos cars were American Antiques…..

It’s unique.Sort of an odd one, IMO, to have set aside when new.

BaT attracts these vehicles, though.

And a lot of other very interesting possible daily drivers……

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Evidently was part of a large private collection. Pretty sure the biggest and most well known one in NH. Owner passed away a year ago…I believe they began liquidating cars a couple of years before. However….almost ALL of hos cars were American Antiques…..

It’s unique.Sort of an odd one, IMO, to have set aside when new.

BaT attracts these vehicles, though.

And a lot of other very interesting possible daily drivers……
the question is, will this become a driver on Nantucket or go back into the climate controlled time capsule?

Muleski

Inactive
My hunch is that it goes into vacation home occasional use and bragging rights. Nantucket is the destination for seemingly EVERY mint {or close} Land Rover Defender, for example. I know two young guys who earn a VERY nice living in the LR nice. But Range Rovers? Don’t think many keep theirs on the island.

That 80 could end up anywhere. I just sent a link to a well heeled friend who has a old and tired 80 in his garage in Jackson. And to another with the same in Sun Valley. Both of them are interested….asking me if BaT is “legit.” Go figure. Neither of these guys would be thrown off by the price.

I bet it gets used and driven. Maybe some agent is buying for a Hollywood mogul?

I think it’s an odd one for a collection. Not even a 40th Anniv edition. Strange, but beautiful time capsule.

Leno always needs more cars!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd imagine the person who spent $136,000 for this is more akin to many of us spending $13,600 or hell even $1,360...$1.36 on something. There is rich and there is wealth, the differnce is, rich people know how much money they have.

Muleski

Inactive
The winning bidder is the same guy who paid $112K for a sub 1000 mile Honda S2000 a while ago, BTW. I would venture that this car was purchased to broker, resell....or he was acting as a buyer's agent. No way to know. Heck, maybe he does collect and holds almost these almost unused cars?

The LC would look great in a garage in a place like Crested Butte, maybe Telluride....or Jackson. I can visualize that.

About 10 years ago, we were in the market for a very lightly used, as close to mint as possible Land Cruiser, a 100. I was looking all over the country for the right car. And had others searching. While I'm very happy with what we bought, I was one person away from a real unicorn. It was a 2003 Lexus {which I would actually prefer NOT to own} but it was beyond mint. It was the mica green color, dark tan guts, and had about 30K miles on it. Enough to be exercised. It was in Jackson Hole. Spent about 90% of it's time in the owner's private jet hangar at the airport. When he and his family flew in, they would drive it to their ranch, and use it as his wheels. When they left, one of his "people" would clean it up in and out, top to bottom. And bring it back to the hangar. I think he got bored with it. All I know is that I was #2 and tried everything to become #1. Nope.

I can see a similar guy ending up with this one. Or, one of the big dealers, the consolidators who own 40-50 car dealerships acquire all sorts of stuff to display in their stores or even their home display garages. We have one based in MA who probably has $25Mil of cars just on display. Behind glass walls. Lives in our town. Odd guy.

Landcruisers have a special following. I would bet money that the brand returns to the USA in some form. At some time. Interesting to watch.

Sponsor

Staff online