• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Toyota Land Cruiser

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@Ken_R - not many people ever bought them. 2005 the sales were units 4,800 or so in the US. <-that was the tail of the 100 series which ran 1998-2007‘ish. But you are right, that was the high water mark over the past 16 years.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Well as luck would have it - my 17 year old Tundra got smashed last night by a driver going up the street, texting. she hit the Subaru parked behind my truck first. They never learn. Basically smoked the entire drivers side

Attachments

• 8D3C5C58-DB80-4093-9A6C-3C6D1729DAF4.jpeg
    8D3C5C58-DB80-4093-9A6C-3C6D1729DAF4.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 24
  • E6B925E6-3F1E-4CE2-806F-5AD0ADB448E1.jpeg
    E6B925E6-3F1E-4CE2-806F-5AD0ADB448E1.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 24

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well as luck would have it - my 17 year old Tundra got smashed last night by a driver going up the street, texting. she hit the Subaru parked behind my truck first. They never learn. Basically smoked the entire drivers side
Ergh!

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Probably totaled, will be very close. Got every body panel, and the differential/axle now shifted forward. Drives super wonky.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Probably totaled, will be very close.

That truly sucks, if that is the case.
Our son had a “vintage” car totalled, a few years ago. He did a LOT of work to confirm real world current price for cars just like his, and hired a professional independent adjuster. The insurance company settled for $16K, I think. More than twice what they had planned to offer.

Your insurer is not your friend. In this case, they can go after the driver’s insurer.

Hope if’s not totaled. If it is, the settlement needs to be for what it would cost to replace it….in this market.

Good luck.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
That truly sucks, if that is the case.
Our son had a “vintage” car totalled, a few years ago. He did a LOT of work to confirm real world current price for cars just like his, and hired a professional independent adjuster. The insurance company settled for $16K, I think. More than twice what they had planned to offer.

Your insurer is not your friend. In this case, they can go after the driver’s insurer.

Hope if’s not totaled. If it is, the settlement needs to be for what it would cost to replace it….in this market.

Good luck.
Thanks. Hopefully the increase in value for used vehicles helps. Glad I have “agreed value“ on my air-cooled 911.

I really wasn’t busy, so I’ll have plenty of time for these shenanigans :roflmao:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Haha.
When my son had this happen, he was in Saas-Fee. So “dad” got involved. Was actually easy once he got back and had pics and records. Key was, as I recall, his providing a lot of good listings to establish current real value.

At the time he said that he felt he could sell his Tacoma for 2-3 times what the insurer would probably establish as value.

The Toyota market is so hot, and buyers will travel or ship. Our son in law is buying an older Tundra to serve as his new to him work truck. Found kind of a unicorn, 2400 miles away. Assuming it happens, he’ll fly and drive it back. He’s paying about twice what the average price for the same model year would be back here.

Good luck.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I can see how they killed it in US, its a "niche" vehicle here. They sold 3,600 or less a year, compared with the Range Rover Sport - where they sell nearly 20,000 a year. Mechanically, reliability-wise many would say w/o peer. There is a reason for the IG account "Toyotasofwar", but its a niche vehicle or not marketed correctly here. <- maybe both.
You can get a Sequoia for $20K less with the same drivetrain.

The problem at this point is everything is shaped as a more spacious crossover now - look even at the new Grand Cherokee that just ditched any tie to its visual heritage. And almost nobody needs a body on frame truck, the solid rear axle obliterates a potential 3rd row and cargo space, and it’s way too single note to be more appealing off-road than say a new Bronco with its dual lockers and long travel IFS.

I love Cruisers, but I am going to buy a late model 2nd gen Sequoia as fhe mud rig for hauling - 2019+ with CarPlay and the modern driver interface. One prices calm down anyway. Gas mileage isn’t something I care about in a tank, the turbos are for CAFE.

The days of creating power with large displacement guzzling are over. What Subaru is doing with a 2.4L 4 cyl is unreal. The Ascent is a 4,600 lb car and it eats 11K passes like they aren’t there at 26 mpg loaded with 6 people and gear.

Toyota needs to bring the Land Cruiser back to compete with the Wrangler, not Range Rovers. They would sell a ton and it should be offered in turbo diesel form (see also: Jeep).

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
You can get a Sequoia for $20K less with the same drivetrain
Yeah but . . . It's a Sequoia :ogbiggrin:

Apologies for the LC snobbery there. We have a 2008 200, 189,100 miles and going strong. The tech is outdated of course, we use the phone. Bought a bluetooth to Aux dongle off Amazon for less than $20 works great.

I think all Toyota did with the decision to cease NA LC sales is solidify and cost inflate the LC niche market. Plus all the design comments, looks like a beefed up 4Runner to me.

And the solid axle comments, I'd drive the 200 just about anywhere in NA, it is more than plenty offroad capable for 99% of what's out there. Beyond that the play is a dedicated OR crawler. Which aren't planted and cushy rolling down long stretches of interstate at 90 mph. The 200 does all that and more.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
You can get a Sequoia for $20K less with the same drivetrain.

The problem at this point is everything is shaped as a more spacious crossover now - look even at the new Grand Cherokee that just ditched any tie to its visual heritage. And almost nobody needs a body on frame truck, the solid rear axle obliterates a potential 3rd row and cargo space, and it’s way too single note to be more appealing off-road than say a new Bronco with its dual lockers and long travel IFS.

I love Cruisers, but I am going to buy a late model 2nd gen Sequoia as fhe mud rig for hauling - 2019+ with CarPlay and the modern driver interface. One prices calm down anyway. Gas mileage isn’t something I care about in a tank, the turbos are for CAFE.

The days of creating power with large displacement guzzling are over. What Subaru is doing with a 2.4L 4 cyl is unreal. The Ascent is a 4,600 lb car and it eats 11K passes like they aren’t there at 26 mpg loaded with 6 people and gear.

Toyota needs to bring the Land Cruiser back to compete with the Wrangler, not Range Rovers. They would sell a ton and it should be offered in turbo diesel form (see also: Jeep).
Not really the same - engine maybe.…but they are nice.

@Muleski - it’s totaled - arguing over value now, they were only a couple of $ off, luckily not that far according to BaT results.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yeah but . . . It's a Sequoia :ogbiggrin:

Apologies for the LC snobbery there. We have a 2008 200, 189,100 miles and going strong. The tech is outdated of course, we use the phone. Bought a bluetooth to Aux dongle off Amazon for less than $20 works great.

I think all Toyota did with the decision to cease NA LC sales is solidify and cost inflate the LC niche market. Plus all the design comments, looks like a beefed up 4Runner to me.

And the solid axle comments, I'd drive the 200 just about anywhere in NA, it is more than plenty offroad capable for 99% of what's out there. Beyond that the play is a dedicated OR crawler. Which aren't planted and cushy rolling down long stretches of interstate at 90 mph. The 200 does all that and more.
This is a Sequoia with 350K miles running like new.

29942626-2F7A-4735-B990-93E8CC5CB290.jpeg

This is my 80 series Land Cruiser.

102E3A4D-D7A6-4D41-9E9D-5745E1766D13.jpeg

There is no comparison. Keeping some idea of off-road chops for a vehicle that you’d be really unhappy to scratch or dent just doesn’t have a market. I wish it wasn’t’ true, I know what the bones are, I would never buy one. It needs to go back to its roots, people don’t want a body on frame highway cruiser with terrible fuel economy that also lacks the utility of a larger SUV. Toyota tries to sell the 4Runner, and it does, in droves.

Here’s our Subaru Ascent rolling up to Eisenhower tunnel at 11K elevation at 2,500 RPM doing 70 mph effortlessly - in the snow. I can pop it into manual mode and use the paddle shifters to keep the turbo really spooled and run 100 mph up this pass. That’s a 2.4L 4 cyl engine on a 4,600 lb vehicle with way more utility than a Land Cruiser getting 26 mpg highway.

9E0E7FB6-506F-432D-AFA3-07DE8F674694.jpeg

It’s over. Toyota has no choice but to bring to market trucks with better fuel economy, better power, better towing capacity, better interiors. I‘ve been the biggest old iron dude on this site for years, at one point we had 6 old Toyota trucks with the better part of 2M miles.

Can they make a modern turbo platform last a half million miles? Well, people will drive them and find out.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I had a pretty good opportunity to use the rear view mirror to test out this point over the weekend. Was up on Monarch Pass at 11K near the top before the last few big switchbacks stuck behind a slow truck, and a 2nd gen Sequoia came up fast behind me and sat off my bumper. Go time.

You get a second lane near the top and I take off with my little 2.4L 4 cyl to pass the slow truck, Sequoia follows, we hit the first big turn and he veers a bit into the oncoming lane trying to handle the corner and I drop him like it’s nothing, 5.7L and all.

The Ascent and Sequoia fill the same slot for most people - just moving people and gear. The Sequoia is a wider but either can seat 7 or 8 people and both can haul a good bit of stuff and both are boats (the Sube has no real excuse). The thing is that the Sequoia weighs over a half ton more hauling around it’s huge drivetrain and frame, and 380hp is only about 260 hp at 11,000 feet…or basically what the much lighter Ascent is working with using the turbo to compensate for air pressure loss…with the fuel economy of a larger displacement 4cyl engine.

You want to start towing loads…well a Ford 3.5L Ecoboost Expedition can tow 9,000lbs and would experience little power loss over high passes while getting up to 23 mpg in normal driving. A Sequoia or can tow 7,000 lbs with the 5.7L and would be sucking wind at high elevation while knocking out 14 mpg normally.

Cars are just computers now, honestly the best reason to buy old iron is you are actually allowed (somewhat) to still drive it.

Sponsor

Staff online