• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Toyota Land Cruiser

James

Out There
Instructor
this is a 2.5L 4 cyl engine at 5,500 lbs with passenger weight rolling up that pass at 75 mph, quiet and refined.
Yeah I was pretty surprised. (It’s actually 2.4 liters)
It’s a big vehicle. I’ve driven it with 7 people. Found myself doing 80 when going for 60. Personally, I could use more engine noise, but the public does not agree.

Variable valve timing, and direct injection have basically gotten rid of turbo lag. I think most of the annoying lag from a dead start in vehicles comes from the drive by wire system.
Direct injection, turbo, knock sensors, and of course a computer, have changed the situation with gasoline. You can actually now get more power when using high octane gas.
Turbo makes sense for high altitudes.

The negative of direct injection is carbon gunk build up on intake valves. No fuel coming in to clean them. There is no Ford approved method of cleaning afaik. Unless taking the heads off. (Chance of debris sucking into the turbo.) People do walnut shell blasting with a vacuum.

Suburu is planning on using most of that FA24 Ascent engine in the Wrx, and pushing it to 400hp with a different intake and other bits.
I will say that if you ever lose the turbo, the car going up hills will be like a 1970’s Land Rover. Been there on a Ford. So the 8 year warranty was smart.
My sister had an issue with their Ascent’s brake rotors. Replaced two times under warranty. Why the dealer doesn’t just cut them on the vehicle is beyond me.

My only critique is 20“ wheels are stupid, there isn’t enough rubber so it’s getting 18” wheels and the suspension should be more performance oriented, but that can be fixed if it bugs me enough

Hah, agree. I’ve been unable to make headway on that point so far. Maybe if they get stuck a few times I could convince them to get a set of snows or at least all weathers in 18”.

Last edited:
Reactions: nay

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
The Ascent sounds like a nice car. And I drive an Outback myself, but Subaru's reliability seems well below Toyota on average historically. Think head gasket issues pre 2010, the 2011s had a number of cars burn excessive amounts of oil, and the controversial CVT transmission on newer models.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The negative of direct injection is carbon gunk build up on intake valves. No fuel coming in to clean them. There is no Ford approved method of cleaning afaik. Unless taking the heads off. (Chance of debris sucking into the turbo.) People do walnut shell blasting with a vacuum.
My 2019 Tacoma V6 has both direct and port injectors as a solution to the carbon build up on intake valves, so each cylinder has two injectors with the port injectors "washing" the valves with gasoline.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Toyota announced the new Tundra yesterday. First complete redesign since 2007!

This great article makes a case for it being our new LC:

With the Tundra (and Sequoia next year) built on the same platform as the global LC, it's making more sense why Toyota isn't marketing a Land Cruiser version. Why pay more for a substantially similar vehicle.

I'm super excited to get the LC reliability at a lower cost and with wide availability. Of course, the 300 series LC will be available as a next-generation LX if you are ok with the luxury brand and trim.

I've been leery of the new V6 turbo being the only engine option going forward (as the owner of Toyota 4.6, 4.7, and 5.8L V8's!). Given it's one of the global LC engines, here's hoping it's engineered to be another million-mile engine in spite of the turbo.
I’ve had multiple Tundras since the last redesign. 2008, 2010, 2014 and now I have a 2018. I think they were overdue for a new redesign and I like the looks of the 2022 model. But, I am more than unhappy they are going away from the V8 engine they’ve traditionally produced. That single factor may chase me away from another Tundra.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I’ve had multiple Tundras since the last redesign. 2008, 2010, 2014 and now I have a 2018. I think they were overdue for a new redesign and I like the looks of the 2022 model. But, I am more than unhappy they are going away from the V8 engine they’ve traditionally produced. That single factor may chase me away from another Tundra.
Or, to look for a great 2021 V-8.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Maybe you should test drive the hybrid Tundra V6 twin turbo before making a decision. I think that electric motor, and the instant torque that it provides before the turbos engage, is going to be impressive and will easily out preform a V8, gas or diesel.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Maybe you should test drive the hybrid Tundra V6 twin turbo before making a decision. I think that electric motor, and the instant torque that it provides before the turbos engage, is going to be impressive and will easily out preform a V8, gas or diesel.
I’ll definitely drive it and watch how it performs. As a result of Covid, my 2018 only has 47,000 miles on it.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yeah I was pretty surprised. (It’s actually 2.4 liters)
It’s a big vehicle. I’ve driven it with 7 people. Found myself doing 80 when going for 60. Personally, I could use more engine noise, but the public does not agree.
I think it was Car and Driver who critiqued it for being a bit noisy compared to some V6 peers. We really no longer want any feedback from driving while driving anymore, do we?

James

Out There
Instructor
I think it was Car and Driver who critiqued it for being a bit noisy compared to some V6 peers. We really no longer want any feedback from driving while driving anymore, do we?
Lol, apparently not. People freak if they hear the engine over 3k rpm.
And there’s another reason the ICE powered car is making it’s own Trojan Horse to electric power- no sound.

I think most people who learned to drive stick, got used to normal shifts based on engine sound. I did have one friend who taught his sister to drive and turned up the stereo loud so she had to use the tach.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I just found this thread so a little behind. I had an FJ62 when I lived in Charleston, great truck, rebuilt the suspension in the driveway with EMU springs, bushings and shackles. put 200K miles on with only a water pump replacement. Talk about the "porsche tax" - the "LC tax" is real too if you use factory parts. Anyway, sold it for what I paid for it (bought it second hand) in 2004 and have regretted that everyday since. Was basically commuting between Charleston and Charlotte (200 miles at least weekly) and that vehicle wasnt the right one for that. Ordered a 2004 Tundra (still have it) through our client, the SE distributor, <- that was a story itself for another time - had to order a second one since the delivery dealer sold it off the truck as I was flying home from CA to.....pick it up!!!

Anyway, my time with the Macan GTS was up + plus it was black, sold it to the dealer and moved on - so what to replace it with. History with FJ62, 17 years and no trouble with the Tundra, so started looking at the 2021 Heritage Edition LC's - 3 weeks and literally 100's of phone calls and emails (Toyota's website locator is trash) finally found one how I wanted it. By this time, the jig was up. dealers not moving off the MSRP...at all. Most marked up with the normal dealer BS. Found one w/o all that nonsense, turns out it was at the dealer 1 mile from my old high school in the MD suburbs of DC (guess they had not gotten the memo but it was EOM) Deposit, flew up and drove it back. A month later they call me up and offer me $3K more for it to buy it back. I literally think I got one of the last ones without the 3rd row seat in the US. No mistake, It was a ton of $ but its the last DD vehicle I will buy. Actually, the availability of gas in the future was in my calculus. Have not thought about it since.

I can see how they killed it in US, its a "niche" vehicle here. They sold 3,600 or less a year, compared with the Range Rover Sport - where they sell nearly 20,000 a year. Mechanically, reliability-wise many would say w/o peer. There is a reason for the IG account "Toyotasofwar", but its a niche vehicle or not marketed correctly here. <- maybe both.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
The rig w/o the roof rack (won’t go in work garage) and new KO’s.

58740823-7858-4DD0-8705-527908B42A3A.jpeg

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We’re real Landcruiser fans, but “stuck” on a couple of things. No offense to anybody, at all, but we much prefer a Toyota branded vehicle to a Lexus. Always have. Ours is our third 100. We put over 700K in miles on the first two. With few issues. No Lexus badges!

We love the “relative” simplicity of our most recent one.It’s a 2003 100. That’s the last year they were built with simple things like a dipstick for the transmission. The first year of the 5 speed transmission. A few were built without the now very dated Nav system. Ours is a “Nav delete” build. Which is great. Easier to work with.

Bought with about 85K miles. Completely rust free. Now has 155K miles, and seriously is nicely broken in. We know what to watch for and look for, in terms of the occasional odd repair. We have owned A LOT of cars, and our LC’s have been incredibly reliable.

Ours is about to get a bit of a cosmetic refresh, and will be looking pretty much like a new 2003 100.

Obviously the cost is the cost, and selling new ones at their price point was easier with the Lexus badge and comforts. I know quite a few friends with fairly new ones….some leased, some bought new and in either case, run through their various businesses.

I have not kept up with a lot of details about the new ones, as frankly, my soon to be newly refreshed 18 year old one appeals to me much more.

Really perfect for us. As were the previous two.

Sad to see the line coming to the USA coming to a stop. Makes sense, though. The prices of all high end big SUV’s is steep.
And most love that Lexus badge, the Lexus leather and such. Still, I believe a tough sale…..

Best of luck to them….seriously!
The old Landcruisers were the good ones. We had an early ‘80’s vintage one in the Australian outback. Indestructible. Australian Bureau of Mineral Resources was selling off their old fleet when we were getting ready to leave…..but the shipping cost to the US for us then was too high. Plus, right-hand drive. The one we drove there was bare-bones on the inside…we could hose it out. Now the things are too loaded and cushy.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@Wendy - agree but trust me when I say the 200 HE series is “cushy” compared to an old FJ but compared to what else is available in that price range in an SUV, it’s pretty spartan. <- which is probably why they don’t sell a ton. It’s a tank compared to the old Macan. The insulation in the body panels, the ride, the level of integration across the NAV/radio is rudimentary and frankly less than what you get with a Camry. But, yeah you can’t take a hose to it anymore, but I do like the heated/vented seats. ogsmile

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have to say that independent of million mile longevity, the newer turbo platforms are so good. Our new 2021 Ascent just notched 26 mpg carrying 6 people from the front range to Vail and back over the weekend, and the power up the passes including east Vail is effortless, you don’t even notice them. The people driving big V8 trucks can’t go any faster for half the fuel economy and have to drive it harder - this is a 2.5L 4 cyl engine at 5,500 lbs with passenger weight rolling up that pass at 75 mph, quiet and refined. I’ve gone from slogging around in 2nd gear trying to hold speed to having to think about speeding tickets while going up the passes.

I love the old iron trucks, and I am keeping mine on 38’s, but honestly…and I’m the last person who I thought would be saying this…good riddance. We drove to Eagle and back yesterday for ms. nay’s work, I mountain biked while she had her meeting, and we had dinner and drove home. The driving is so easy I wasn’t even tired when we got back and I didn’t even bother using the excellent adaptive cruise control.

And this is a loaded to the hilt touring edition that is a flat out luxury vehicle MSRP $47K. Tows a trailer effortlessly (in return for gulping premium), integrated Subaru crossmember replacement hitch is nice and high for the bikes. There are tires coming out specifically for these vehicles like the Falken Wildpeak AT Trail to get a bit of a heavier duty setup and there is no ridiculous front fascia needed to improve fuel economy. My only critique is 20“ wheels are stupid, there isn’t enough rubber so it’s getting 18” wheels and the suspension should be more performance oriented, but that can be fixed if it bugs me enough (ms. nay doesn’t care, it’s her car).

I just bought the 8 year 120K warranty, made the car a bit more expensive, covers everything. It’s just reality now and the dealer does all the maintenance to build the carfax resume. Paying double this for a Land Cruiser with a V8? Nobody is going to do that, which is why it’s gone.

View attachment 142862

I am loving my Ascent since I got it a few years ago. I still have the Hakka 8 SUV's tires on it. I put them on a week after I got it. The milage went down only 1mpg if that. I dont have the hitch. It looks funny with the cover removed which is required when using it. I saw online some people modifying the stock cover by making a hole in the middle of it so the hitch sticks out and you can use the hitch with the cover on. It looks much much better. Should come from the factory this way.

I also have the Forester. The Forester is better for trailhead access since its smaller/lighter and has much better visibility of all 4 corners of the vehicle. I will probably modify it at some point to be able to mount KO2's and add a tad of ground clearance to be able to more comfortably access most trailheads all summer. The Ascent stock is just so so good on the highway that I dont wanna mess with it. It is the perfect vehicle for i70, specially in the winter.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
That said I think the new Toyota twin turbo v6 is a great choice by Toyota. Ford has been using similar engines for years on their F150's and they have proven to be excellent, specially at high altitude.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That said I think the new Toyota twin turbo v6 is a great choice by Toyota. Ford has been using similar engines for years on their F150's and they have proven to be excellent, specially at high altitude.
Blasphemy! I'll get more excited about the twin-turbo V6 when examples go a million miles like the old V8. Not impossible since it's a global LC engine option, but I want to see it happen.

Early MPG reports are the new twin-turbo V6 will probably get 4-5 mpg better than the 5.7 V8. Not worth it to me, as I only drive my Sequoia around 5000, mostly highway miles per year. I can't imagine having one of these beasts as an only vehicle if you live in an urban area, but many folks do it. It makes more sense to have a more fun, efficient, and easier to park vehicle in the quiver than upgrade to the new platform for better mileage.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I am loving my Ascent since I got it a few years ago. I still have the Hakka 8 SUV's tires on it. I put them on a week after I got it. The milage went down only 1mpg if that. I dont have the hitch. It looks funny with the cover removed which is required when using it. I saw online some people modifying the stock cover by making a hole in the middle of it so the hitch sticks out and you can use the hitch with the cover on. It looks much much better. Should come from the factory this way.

I also have the Forester. The Forester is better for trailhead access since its smaller/lighter and has much better visibility of all 4 corners of the vehicle. I will probably modify it at some point to be able to mount KO2's and add a tad of ground clearance to be able to more comfortably access most trailheads all summer. The Ascent stock is just so so good on the highway that I dont wanna mess with it. It is the perfect vehicle for i70, specially in the winter.
The Aacent is ridiculously good - once you dump the stock tires. Better than a naturally aspirated V8 at high altitude. Cruisers were still awesome until 1998.

FDA59BB9-01C7-46BC-98B0-74DA6C2E8D3B.jpeg

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No mistake, It was a ton of $ but its the last DD vehicle I will buy.
Congrats! I'm rather envious. Glad somebody here got one. Awesome to be able to buy a vehicle for life. If you change your mind in 10 years, I'll take it off your hands. I'll be looking to downsize from my Sequoia at that point, and dislike the black color I stumbled upon. Love your LC spec, perfect!

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Congrats! I'm rather envious. Glad somebody here got one. Awesome to be able to buy a vehicle for life. If you change your mind in 10 years, I'll take it off your hands. I'll be looking to downsize from my Sequoia at that point, and dislike the black color I stumbled upon. Love your LC spec, perfect!
@tball - actually one of the hardest decisions I’ve made. it was a lot of money and basically no dealer willing to come off MSRP. 3 months earlier a friend had them take almost $8k off. That and trying to get one w/o third seat installed (optional on HE) but most dealers spec’d them, SE Toyota did for sure, not black and due to compliance stuff nowadays couldn’t leverage the “side door deal”. I’ll let you know if I get tired of it, the Tundra is 17 years old now, so may be a while. Sequoia’s are like Bigfoot around here - I’ve heard they exist, but never see one, funny how regional things can be.

I really have great respect for those that can handle black cars - I couldn’t, esp here in the South in Spring. Looks great washed but dang goes downhill fast.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Blasphemy! I'll get more excited about the twin-turbo V6 when examples go a million miles like the old V8. Not impossible since it's a global LC engine option, but I want to see it happen.

Early MPG reports are the new twin-turbo V6 will probably get 4-5 mpg better than the 5.7 V8. Not worth it to me, as I only drive my Sequoia around 5000, mostly highway miles per year. I can't imagine having one of these beasts as an only vehicle if you live in an urban area, but many folks do it. It makes more sense to have a more fun, efficient, and easier to park vehicle in the quiver than upgrade to the new platform for better mileage.

an NA V8 will always have more longevity. The current/last gen of the Land Cruiser was just so so expensive that not many people got them. Those in the market got the Lexus version for not much more $.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.