• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Völkl Deacon 72 Master

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is much stronger than the SC, more like the RC.

10-4. Nothing wrong with me building in all Blossom quiver anyway!

Having said that, the reviews make this the sound special. Maybe not for me but yes, for many others.

late4gates

Pride comes before a fall.
Skier
My initial impressions (178) don't add much to what has been said but it never hurts to confirm it. Quick take - I'm in love.

For a ski of this construction (dense wood core, 2 sheets titanal, carbon, Piston plate) and shape you would have some expectations in terms of its behavior. Well, as Phil indicated in the review it ain't exactly so. These are the least abusive skis of this construction I can even imagine. They are very, very forgiving (I only have an 80% game, and they work for me). Surprisingly, they are the least fatiguing carvers I have.

The radius is really versatile, and as Anders said, feels shorter. These things hold so well you can pressure the tip at speed almost irresponsibly to shrink the radius for speed control. They just will not let go. They are really confidence building.

They are really nimble (cat like, per Phil, is a great description) but not squirrelly at all. Transitions are quick and smooooth. The stability is outstanding. I mean, you actively feel how "planted" you are. At 72mm underfoot you wouldn't expect these to handle late day conditions but, within reason, they seem to plow through most things I encounter on a no-snow day.

I differ from Anders in that I needed to get to cruising speed before they came alive, but that's probably a skill deficiency, or maybe just a different definition of low speed (or size, I'm 195). But at the top end I found my limit before the skis even raised a sweat.

Until now, I ski Firebirds (76mm, 15m radius) by choice whenever circumstances allow, and I love them. But these Deacons are a cut above. And ridiculously easy to ski. They make time slow down.

Last edited:

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
The internal construction and layering is different from the Deacon 72. The Masters have a construction and layering akin to the Race Tigers, plus the Piston plate and not the Rmotion one. In January l skied for a week alongside a guy who was skiing the Deacon Masters in 172. I was on my 175 "Frankenstein" Race Tigers (an old normal raceriger with a piston plate mounted instead of the rmotion).
He could do every exercise a lot easier, and with better results...Even long turns. Maybe it was the Indian and not the arrow but I got to the point where I "jokingly" offered to buy his skis. I was only half joking, cause had he accepted...

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I thought it was bad enough with Deacons, XTD, 72, 79,80,84....
I demoed a Deacon 72. Is the Deacon Master a different ski? Different how? How different?
different core and everything, so... very different

@groomer remember to check your flatness/tune/edges. I found them to be fun at 30-40kmh, which is what I meant by slow. The tiny ammount of rocker is what your feeling in the late afternoon, + stiff ski i n general + somewhat more forgiving tails (than a race ski)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
For those with curious minds, apparently the Master has an ash wood core for more pop and livelyness, while the regular Deacon has a multilayer wood core, with "stable" hardwood near the edges and "lighter" softwood in the middle.
I can say the ride is more sedan-like than sportscar like when the 173 cm (15.4 m radius) Deacon is compared to my older 165 cm (13 m radius) Fisher SC. All the Deacons I have tried have a composed feeling, although the 79 will not be happy at higher speeds when compared to the 80.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Heavier ash wood core in the Master versions along with X-Comp bindings with a Piston plate Vs the System bindings on the regular version. Regular version also has some shorter length options Vs the Master.

Revolver

Booting up
Skier
I'm looking at replacing an old pair of Volkl Tigershark 8ft's as a medium radius carver for mostly Ontario and Quebec skiing. I enjoy the Tigershark's grip in hard conditions and would really like a ski with the same level of grip. The Tigershark's have good energy coming out of a turn, they can make turns of varying radius pretty easily and aren't too demanding.

I'd really like something equivalent with maybe a slightly longer radius, so have been looking at the 72 Master in 178. I'm 5'11, 200 lbs and like to ski fast. Any thoughts on the Deacons or something else that might be equivalent?

Nobody

Skier
Staying with Voelkl...Other than the Masters 72, if you are looking for something that is letting you ski fast, in 178...I would look at the Master 76 and further "up" at the Race Tigers (Masters as well).
Me...I am thinking to go shorter for the Masters 72 (172) and "longer" for a pair of Race Tigers (180,even though IIRC the Masters are offered in 178) to make a two pairs quiver for front carvers. So to differentiate, otherwise you'd get sort of an overlap.
My current 175 RaceTigers are nearing their EOL as first choice ski (and my old, trusty Nordica HR top fuel 178 are now good only as rock skis). Need to cough up the funds to replace both, though. Or have a lucky strike.

dcoral

Putting on skis
Skier
I just bought the Deacon 72 Master in 173cm for my wife. She's been skiing the Volkl Secret 96 156cm (same as Mantra M6 with women's graphic) but our 5 year old daughter (who always goes too fast) keeps us on the groomers so we don't get to go in the deep powder/crud that much. I can't wait to see how she likes them for cruising the hard packed groomed runs. (Previously she tried the shorter Stockli Laser AX 154cm but she didn't like them as much as the Secret 96 so we sold the AX).

Keep posting Deacon 72 Master impressions, now getting very curious.

dcoral

Putting on skis
Skier
I just noticed the radius (15.4) of the Deacon 72 Master in 173cm is close to the radius (15.9) of the HEAD Worldcup Rebels E-Speed GS Skis in 170cm.

So perhaps the Deacon 72 can be viewed as either a masters slalom ski, or a cheater league GS ski.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
its a inbetweeeener cheater GS I'd say are usually at least 18-19-20

its just a fun ski that can do short turns well, but not SL short turns

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I demoed the Deacon 72; I don't think it was the Masters version. It felt nice and stable. It had plenty of grip and would turn well, but compared to Fischer SC, a little less eager and not as rewarding in a sense of having your ski react quickly and do what you tell it to do. More like a sporty sedan, like a stock Mazda 3 than a sports car or a Mazda 3 with Michelin Pilots and lowered suspension. It's more than just the difference in turn radius and tune (which do make a big difference). I guess that slight rocker and a little more heft takes the edge off things.

Nobody

Skier
Staying with Voelkl...Other than the Masters 72, if you are looking for something that is letting you ski fast, in 178...I would look at the Master 76 and further "up" at the Race Tigers (Masters as well).
Me...I am thinking to go shorter for the Masters 72 (172) and "longer" for a pair of Race Tigers (180,even though IIRC the Masters are offered in 178) to make a two pairs quiver for front carvers. So to differentiate, otherwise you'd get sort of an overlap.
My current 175 RaceTigers are nearing their EOL as first choice ski (and my old, trusty Nordica HR top fuel 178 are now good only as rock skis). Need to cough up the funds to replace both, though. Or have a lucky strike.
I wrote trusting my memory without double checking the stats in the books, I apologise...
  • Deacon Master 72, 125-72-103 : offered in lenghts of 173 - not 172 - (r 15.4) and 178 (r 16.4)
  • Deacon Master 76, 124-76-104 : offered in lenghts of 176 (r 17.6) and 181 (r 18.7)
  • RaceTiger GS Master, 115-67-98 : offered in lenghts of 173 (r 16.4) 178 (r 17.5) and 183 (r 18.6)
So, having the funds, due to my body stats (175ish, 75Kgish- sucking at an higher level skier), I would get a Master 72 in 173, and either a Master 76 in 176 or a RaceTiger in 183 (but then, in the case of the two Masters, it would be too close a quiver and in case of the GS, I'd almost overlap with the Blizzard WRCs 186 r 21, which are still very performing and useable both in the gates and free-skiing in groomers thus not yet on the sunset boulevard, in which case the GS in 178 would be better).
Was discussing with a friend the other day, and we were both agreeing that in these times, with the present crowds and pistes, an r 15-17 would be more than enough as an everyday drive on the groomers...

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have the 72 & 76 in longest length, and my buddy has the 183 gs master...

the gs master is a very friendly 67mm gs cheater due to the rocker, if you have good snow, its good, but there are some full camber options available as well.

I quiver sort by radus & waist width

got overlap everywhere though, its only money, stuff can be sold, and this time of season, deals to be had.

dcoral

Putting on skis
Skier
I have the 72 & 76 in longest length, and my buddy has the 183 gs master...

I also just bought the Deacon 76 Master for myself today (and ordered the 72 Master for my wife, she likes pink). I won't be able to compare them - can you tell a really big difference between the 72 and 76? Or just a subtle difference with the turn radius?

Sponsor