• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Völkl Deacon 72 Master

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: On paper, the Deacon 72 Master looks like a super-aggressive, hyper-demanding ski -- but that is just not the case. Sure, it checks all the boxes: wood core, metal, sidewall construction, Marker Piston Plate ... the list goes on. Our 178 test ski was super easy to ski, though, with a massive sweet spot. Make no mistake, though; it has the legs of a gazelle and will go as fast as any non-race ski a Piston Plate can be expected to -- which is mach schnell.

Insider tip: Marker offers an X-Comp 12 and 16; go with the 16, please.​
Erik Timmerman: The 72 Master is a whole different Deacon than the V.Werks: narrower and more versatile. It is smooth with great bases and makes short and long turns. Take this ski to Sugarloaf or Sunday River and ski those steep groomers. Race on them in the night league. Compared to the Thunderbird, this is the Porsche. Get in and close the door, you know before you even start the engine. This ski is strong, fast, and easy to ski. Like the V.Werks, I thought the bindings were a bit flat, but since it has actual race bindings screwed onto a race plate, there is recourse and you can make it your own.

Insider tip: The pink is manly.​

Awards
Who is it for?
You want a hard-snow ripper that will not wear you out in two or three runs.
Who is it not for?
Those who don’t want the cat-like quickness. No worries, Völkl offers the Deacon 76 Master.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Race
  2. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
173, 178
Dimensions
125-72-103
Radius
16m@178cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Plate
Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Frede

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
I'm definitely getting the Racetiger SC but if this is as forgiving and easy to ski as you say it is I'll have to get one of these too. Is 4 Volkl slalom carvers too many?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Philpug I'm stuck in a forever loop between this and 76 master... and a bit of quiver overlap and turn radius overlap... any help?

also a slight error, it says "our 181 test ski" and you dont get 72 in 181 ;)

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, Deacon 72 master gets my award for "frontside ski of the year," maybe even ski of the year. fun ripper! if you only buy 1 new 2022 ski, grab this, it has that special X factor bringing something new to the table.

The power, the grip, the 16.4 advertised radius is just perfect (feels shorter), and lets you dump speed by speed by carving the radius, where most other skis just hasnt got the power or grip and will washout/skid in parts of the turn. this ski holds. I'm both fairly tall and on the heavier side so I'm able to generate speed and leverage it quite hard.

The tighter radius makes it a bit of a workout, but such a fun workout. It also means I'm more on the same radius as my GF and smaller friends, which gets my speed down, while stil beeing fun.

I skied everything on theese on all our slopes from green to black, the slower sections theese things are just fun, just drop the knee a bit and go zoom zoom even while going slow! no minimum speedlimit, no maximum. on the supersteep and somewhat icy sections you could really dig in, get the radius down and enjoy the skiis makeing you look good.

ski has a tiny bit of rocker in front so its friendlier than a real race ski, but it will take you for a ride if you do stupid stuff, I was doing jump carvers over rollers landing on edges and had some more fun than planned on 1 ski, same for bad teqnique another place, some more 1 ski action. But compared to FIS race skis, or even just older aggressive skis like rossi ST/LT they are much friendlier and easier to ski. you can bring your 80% game, dont need 100%.

ironicly for slower and more crowded slopes I think I will grab this, you gotto swivel your head a bit as you do go side to side very fast, but the ski is superfun in the 55-75kmh range, so your not zooooming past everyone. It has a bit of that X factor from line blade, but for the haaaaaaard days.

the longest is 178 cm btw, not 181 as it says up top here (thats the 76 master)

2021-12-25 13.21.14.jpg

Last edited:

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Philpug I seem to be on a bit of a ski gear purchase after last years mess of a year. Picked up the Laser AR on your recommendation, Kulkea heated boot bag and now the deacon master 72.

One issue the stock was low but thanks to a helpful forum member found one on Corbetts. It does however come with the marker 12 binding (not mounted). It hasn’t been easy finding 16 but did find a few else where. Your review notes to go with the 16 - what’s the major difference? I’m not a racer by any means bit my preferred method is aggressive skiing Advanced level skier (just not up to the extreme stuff yet) but I do weigh 205. I don’t mind picking it up just not sure I understand enough what the major differences would be.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I have seen top instructors who are Voelkl equipped (free)skiing, which means anything but seriously taking the GS gates (this said I have seen them skiing in the GS gates with those and, boy, they do perform, but it is them, not the ski), with Deacon Masters (76) for the past couple of seasons. Seeing them ski made me almost pull the trigger on those as well...almost. As I am not them, I kept my trusty Racetiger GS and avoid being thrown out of the house...
This said, when time will come to retire the Racetigers, I will have a good look at the Deacon Masters ( 76).
I'm definitely getting the Racetiger SC but if this is as forgiving and easy to ski as you say it is I'll have to get one of these too. Is 4 Volkl slalom carvers too many?
Personally, I would go with the Deacon, rather than with the "tuned down" Racetigers models. I would rather take the GS or SL base or masters, if Racetigers have to be.
I am currently skiing on 175cm 2018 Racetiger GS, non piston plate version.
Recently, given the skis are getting old, I have been entertaining the thought to purchase a second hand piston plate and 16 bindings and mount them on the skis, since the rmotion system is a bit "shakey", after three seasons. Sure I would lose the possibility to quickly and easily adjust the BSL but I am sure I would gain in precision and stability...

Paul Frede

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
I have seen top instructors who are Voelkl equipped (free)skiing, which means anything but seriously taking the GS gates (this said I have seen them skiing in the GS gates with those and, boy, they do perform, but it is them, not the ski), with Deacon Masters (76) for the past couple of seasons. Seeing them ski made me almost pull the trigger on those as well...almost. As I am not them, I kept my trusty Racetiger GS and avoid being thrown out of the house...
This said, when time will come to retire the Racetigers, I will have a good look at the Deacon Masters ( 76).

Personally, I would go with the Deacon, rather than with the "tuned down" Racetigers models. I would rather take the GS or SL base or masters, if Racetigers have to be.
Recently, given the skis are getting old, I have been entertaining the thought to purchase a second hand piston plate and 16 bindings and mount them on the skis, since the rmotion system is a bit "shakey", after three seasons. Sure I would lose the possibility to quickly and easily adjust the BSL but I am sure I would gain in precision and stability...
802295EF-6F41-4B36-B031-EB92E4985A1A.jpeg

I already have the SC. I’ll pick up a pair of 72 Masters next season.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
After LOTS of stone grinding to get my very base high set of Deacon 72 Masters flat, they were skiing well but still not perfect. Knew the XComp bindings and plate were flat but they still seemed further off than expected vs my Attacks bindings on the rest of the quiver.

I noticed the ski sidewall is actually lower where the heel sits, so there’s a negative delta on the set of about 1.4mm on this ski where I’m mounted. I was able to order the Marker Tuning Kit TCX-2028Q1RT which come with 2 of the 2mm shims for the heel and toe and the longer screws in case you add both 2mm shims(4mm total) to either.

I added 4mm to the heel and now the Deacons are almost identical delta to the rest of the quiver. Test ran them on the basement carpet and feel much more planted now.
Now I have till next year to demo again.

Nobody

Skier
I am very tempted to get my hands on a pair of Deacon Master 76...alas un-findable at shops here. Could only find a "normal" Deacon 76...good price but the RMotion (in its "3" iteration now) bindings system does no appeal to me (anymore).
Maybe I'll "Frankenmonster" my Nordica HR TF 78 (in 178) by replacing the Nordica N0212 bindings and X (XBS?) plate with a Marker Piston plate and X-Cell Bindings...

Nobody

Skier

Done, but not with a "16", I only managed to find a bargain for a "12". still more than enough since I had the spring set to 7. I had three days with the Franken monster GS RaceTigers, so far so good. The increased weight due to the piston plate can be felt only when carrying them, not while skiing....as for performances, too early to tell...

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
belive skis have different cores

both 72 and 76 are avail here in norway in most advanced stores
The Masters have the “World Cup Ash Core” vs the lighter Poplar/Beech of the standard version along with the Piston Plate/X Comp bindings vs the RMotion bindings. Have shorter lengths options available in the standard Deacon too.

Only a $140 US difference in price so a no brainer to get the Master versions unless you need a shorter length or a rental shop wanting easier boot length adjustment.

Sponsor