• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Völkl Deacon V.Werks

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: This ski blew all our testers away. It is safe to say that it was the overwhelming shocker of the test, in the best possible way. The Deacon V.Werks is a scalpel; yes, we have had skis like that in this category, and while some have had the tenacious grip of the V.Werks, none have had its feel, even the original RTM V.Werks.

Völkl has something special here; I think it is very well the best and most successful application of a carbon-based premium ski. Make sure you bring your A-game, though, because where some skis will let you relax from time to time, the new Deacon demands your attention -- and rewards you in spades when you provide it. It has probably one of the smallest sweet spots of any ski in this class, and it makes no excuses for that.

Insider tip: If you are in between sizes, go with the shorter of the two. No one will think lesser of you.​
Erik Timmerman: Super-smooth cruising ski. It's not for me, but what it made me want to do was go to Sun Valley, where I could just stand on it and make big arcs on nice snow. The ski is silky smooth and has beautiful construction, but I felt like it knows what it wants to do. You just have to accept that and get out of the way. If cruising big arcs is your bag, you and the Deacon V.Werks are gonna be best buds.

Insider tip: The system binding has a really flat delta. I felt like I could have gotten more out of it if there was a way to change that, but there isn't. It may be just right for you, but it was not for me.​

Drahtguy Kevin: Clicking into the Deacon V.Werks provided a surprise. It is extremely light and extremely connected to the snow. On edge, it grips like a gator but is easy to release at any point in the turn. I varied turn shapes, speeds, and terrain, and the V.Werks handled it all admirably. A consistent flex and predictable tip are other attributes of this ski.

Insider tip: Don’t let the weight fool you; the Deacon V.Werks is a smooth, stable, ripper.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Good skiers who are on their game and are looking for a light, narrower all-mountain ski need look no further.
Who is it not for?
While this ski works well at slower speeds, it excels as the mph grows. To paraphrase Col. Jessup, ”You want this ski? You can’t handle this ski.”
Skier ability
  1. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Off Piste
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
167, 172, 177, 182
Dimensions
132-84-115
Radius
21/15/24m@177cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. System

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
New season new pair, buddy decided he wanted my "old" 2021s ;)

Same power as a deacon 84 which I have 100+ days on, but even nicer.

Probably the best ski from Volkl in 2021, and its still their best 80mm. For a slimmer friend, look into new 72 master & 76 master.

2021-12-27 21.46.53.jpg

2021-12-27 21.48.54.jpg

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
long(er) term update, why is this ski so great? is this the first ski with carbon thats any good? it might just be. how is it so light, but doesnt bounce or get knocked around, or feel carbony (except singing on certain snow on edge)

They should make a master version of it with xcomp option, just to get the skiers thats picky on delta to ski it.

How have they made this ski so solid, accessible & powerfull? It's like a new 992 GTS not a turbo S, not a GT3

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I really love this ski, but I love my knees more. So sadly, I'm letting go so I can get into the Tyrolia Protector binding ecosystem.

My question is, what is the most similar ski to this from other brands that are mid-80's that accept Protector bindings?

My Völkl Deacon V.Werks is a 172cm 14m radius 84mm underfoot.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Head E-Titan is the one in the mid 80s and it comes for sure with the Protector binding option. Nice solid ski that should be more quiet and damp than the V Werks but not as light or lively I assume.

Sponsor