• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Völkl M6 Mantra

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
isnt the 177 way short for you at 6? which is... 183cm?

or does it have the power to just feel manouvrable?

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
isnt the 177 way short for you at 6? which is... 183cm?

or does it have the power to just feel manouvrable?

I found the 177 to be stable at speed on steep hard pack and groomers without feeling squirrely in any of the conditions I have skied. As I jump into trees when favorable I find a 177 works better for me then a 184 or 191. The same can be said when I am in the bumps. Yes, a bit surprising as I am 6', 240 lbs but I am happy with my 177 decision. Again demo several lengths to see what you like best.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update: I spent the morning on the new M6 at Mt. Rose. I have been testing a lot of 97-100 skis of late and with the Mantra aways being a reference model, it's name comes up usually preceeded by "How does it compare to the..." Nothing phases the new Manta, it is solid and and dependable on the snow and does like to charge. The 3D sidecut allows the Manta to cut sharp even though it has one of the narrower tips (135mm) in the segment where tip width has much more to do than waist width. Because of Volkl's scaling of the construction, stay tuned for a direct comparision of the 177cm and 184cm.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: I spent some time on the M6 this morning at Mt. Rose. The first thing I noticed on the firm morning snow is this ski is, politely put, very audible. As speed increases so does volume. It doesn't translate into a "feel" so that's good. The ski feels planted on the snow, though I did find it skis better with a little bit of snow under it. By that I mean as the snow softened up a bit the turns came easier. Not a surprise, but a welcome change. I didn't get a big dose of confidence on the firm groomers early on; I think that would clear up with the 184 instead of the 177. I did poke my head into some trees but the snow was crunchy and not what I'd call fun. We were off the hill by the time the snow really started to soften in the trees. I'll be interested in the difference the 184s will bring.

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
Long Term Update: I spent some time on the M6 this morning at Mt. Rose. The first thing I noticed on the firm morning snow is this ski is, politely put, very audible. As speed increases so does volume. It doesn't translate into a "feel" so that's good. The ski feels planted on the snow, though I did find it skis better with a little bit of snow under it. By that I mean as the snow softened up a bit the turns came easier. Not a surprise, but a welcome change. I didn't get a big dose of confidence on the firm groomers early on; I think that would clear up with the 184 instead of the 177. I did poke my head into some trees but the snow was crunchy and not what I'd call fun. We were off the hill by the time the snow really started to soften in the trees. I'll be interested in the difference the 184s will bring.

I have the 177 and have only skied Killington this year on all Eastern conditions including firm groomers, hard pack and considerable ice. I found the edge grip to be very good similar to my 184 RTM 84's so am surprised that you "didn't get a big dose of confidence on the firm groomers early on". I also ski a 177 K2 Mindbender Ti and the M6's have a much better edge hold on hard pack / icy conditions. I am 6' and 240 lbs and I have a friend who is 5'9" 165 lbs normally skiing a Volkl Deacon 74 (same boot size as myself) who tried my M6's on Killington hard pack and also found the edge hold to be excellent. Tune possibly a factor ????

I skied lower Ovation on hard pack / icy conditions and it is a trail you do not want to fall on. The M6 edge hold removed the "why the F did I go through the gate" panic.

Lower Ovation @ Killington, VT: 468 vertical over 823 length = 29.62*
353 vertical over 553 length = 32.55*
146 vertical over 190 length = 37.54*.
113 vertical over 127 length = 41.66*.
95 vertical over 98 length = 44.11*.

Phil - your thoughts ?

Attachments

• 20210317_135127[1].jpg
    20210317_135127[1].jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 43

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
am surprised that you "didn't get a big dose of confidence on the firm groomers early on"
I'm not sure why I felt that. To be fair, the ski didn't slide out when on edge so it was holding. I try to verbalize what I feel on a ski but haven't been successful in this one. I think most of it is "it's me, not you". I'll give them another whirl over the next few days and report back.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm not sure why I felt that. To be fair, the ski didn't slide out when on edge so it was holding. I try to verbalize what I feel on a ski but haven't been successful in this one. I think most of it is "it's me, not you". I'll give them another whirl over the next few days and report back.

The noise you mention is when up on edge and carving on hard snow? You think its coming from the front end?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The noise you mention is when up on edge and carving on hard snow? You think its coming from the front end?
Running flat and carving on hard snow. It quiets when the snow softens. I am guessing it is the carbon playing a tune.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
How about videos of the reviews? Am I the only person who really has a hard time reading /trusting‘reviews’ were we have zero context for how the ‘reviewer’ skis?

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
How about videos of the reviews? Am I the only person who really has a hard time reading /trusting‘reviews’ were we have zero context for how the ‘reviewer’ skis?

Google Ski Essentials M6 Review and click on:

2022 Volkl M6 Mantra Ski Review - Chairlift Chat - Ski Essentials

When I paste the link into this post it will not execute but will if I clink on the link from Google. It is an excellent review of the ski including video.

But the best possible review would be your own after trying them.

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Google Ski Essentials M6 Review and click on:

2022 Völkl M6 Mantra Ski Review - Chairlift Chat - Ski Essentials

When I paste the link into this post it will not execute but will if I clink on the link from Google. It is an excellent review of the ski including video.

But the best possible review would be your own after trying them.

@falcon_o Thanks for posting that!

That is what I'm talking about! It's cool to see them laying down some turns and you could tell the different levels of skiers on them. They did a pretty darn good job with that video. I would like to have seen a bit more than blue groomers, maybe there was some small bumps around 14:30??, but overall they did a good job.

I agree with best review after trying them, I give more weight to reviews done by 'regular' folks who ski a ski everyday or it's part of their small quiver. They can attest to different conditions, and after they've 'learned' how to ski that specific ski versus one or two days at a demo.

Thanks again for sharing that link.

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
@falcon_o Thanks for posting that!

That is what I'm talking about! It's cool to see them laying down some turns and you could tell the different levels of skiers on them. They did a pretty darn good job with that video. I would like to have seen a bit more than blue groomers, maybe there was some small bumps around 14:30??, but overall they did a good job.

I agree with best review after trying them, I give more weight to reviews done by 'regular' folks who ski a ski everyday or it's part of their small quiver. They can attest to different conditions, and after they've 'learned' how to ski that specific ski versus one or two days at a demo.

Thanks again for sharing that link.

Happy that you found the Ski Essentials review helpful. I have about 15 days on mine in a variety of conditions as noted in my earlier posts. I consider myself and advanced/expert skier starting over 40 years ago and would describe my style as aggressive.

Hope you get to demo them.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: I had a chance to talk with @Philpug about my experience on the 177cm M6. One thing that popped up is the demo binding is a Marker with negative delta. Now, over the past few seasons I've been one who likes the toe high binding; it helped lessen my Raptor's already aggressive forward lean along with a whole lot of calf that pushed me even further forward. This year, however, I am about 35# lighter and my calves are, shall we say, not so full. I noticed I seemed to be more upright yesterday but didn't really think about it. Today I put spoilers in my boots to force me a bit forward. Up to Squaw to give it a rip!

The 177s felt much better but the 184s felt really good. The bit of extra wheel base along with the touch of additional forward lean seemed to solve the problem of the vagueness I felt yesterday. I was riding on my heels more than I've been used to and wasn't making the necessary adjustments myself. From the hard early groomers to the later softening to downright mashed potatoes at the bottom of the mountain, the skis felt much more controllable. I skied some large, soft bumps off the Emigrant lift down through Funnel, some awful awfully hard bumps off Headwall lift on Classic or Hourglass (this was NOT fun, nor skiing. More of a survival run), and just nice soft groomers off Shirley lift. The ski was much more predictable and I didn't feel like it was trying to run out from under me. A degree here, a centimeter there...

The 3D sidecut does make different turn shapes very easy. Long and sweeping? Add a little edge and let the tip and tail work. To shorten it up lay it over and the tighter radius in the mid section comes into play. I'm not an engineer nor do I play one on TV (and I don't think I've ever stayed at a Holiday Inn Express) so I can't explain how it works, it just does. I felt the same thing when I skied the Blaze 94s.

I still got the very audible sound from the skis and felt a buzz coming through my boots on one particularly firm groomer when I slid a turn across the corduroy. Carbon is light and strong but doesn't always damp a ski down. Pluses and minuses, just like everything else. Of course if I was up on the edge that wouldn't be an issue but not everyone can carve every turn, always. :ogbiggrin:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update: I took out the new Mantra in the 184 to see how it compared to my reference 177. Volkl was addiment that we ski the Mantra in two sizes to show off the tailored construction and sure enough what they were looking to do was indeed accomplished. Where the previous and outgoing Mantra in the 184 always felt cumbersome to me, the new Tailored Titanal Frame felt much more proportioned. Personally, I would still choose the 177 if I was to have one of my own but if I was 10 years younger, I might step up.

The new Mantra is definitely an audible ski, there is a lot going on up front with the carbon in the tip and while you can hear it, it does not translate to any loss on the snow.

Last edited by a moderator:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The height remark is pretty interesting, guessing its related to offpiste part of the testing?

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
If and when I ever close the "ski instructor cert" thing and get done with GS FIS skis (and gate training and technique and and and) would an M6 in 177 with "AT" (Marker Duke PT/KingPin ? ) binding be a good choice for a steep and narrow (read off-piste culoirs) off piste with "piste transfer fro-to" enough capabilities?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If and when I ever close the "ski instructor cert" thing and get done with GS FIS skis (and gate training and technique and and and) would an M6 in 177 with "AT" (Marker Duke PT/KingPin ? ) binding be a good choice for a steep and narrow (read off-piste culoirs) off piste with "piste transfer fro-to" enough capabilities?
This is a heavy ski, I am not sure you would want to do any type of touring with it.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I think im gonna try the Bonafide 97.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
This is a heavy ski, I am not sure you would want to do any type of touring with it.
Not really touring. More like use the lift systems to approach, if needed ski down off-piste till the base of the objective, then a short climb, on foot with skis strapped on backpack. AT bindings and skin used only for emergency use (like I do now with my Gotama/Baron combo).
Home mountain is full of accessible couloirs, in reach with a short(ish) hike, not even needed to skinup, if not wanted.

Sponsor