• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Völkl M6 Mantra

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Long Term Update: I skied the new M6 again when I was back at Waterville Valley for the demo..in 4" of fresh over firm conditions. Yup, my first impressions of the new Mantra were correct, Völkl nailed it with the 3D radius. I do find the new carbon enhanced tip to be a little noisy but there was no feeling of a disconnect with the snow.
While many skis have proclaimed they knocked Völkl off of their perch, Völkl is holding strong with ther newest incarnation of this storied ski.

Are these going to be 'available' this ski season?
-Chris

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with this. I also loved the M5. In steeper really hard snow I had to be very smooth in my technique for that not to bother me. I guess its a bit lighter weight than the old model.

Your really hard snow and my New England powder is the same thing. No? :duck:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just ordered from Ski Essentials the Volkl M6 Mantra Skis w/ Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW Bindings for $849.99 delivered. They have 177 and 184 lengths available.
Looking forward to posting a review and comparing to the K2 Mindbender 99 Ti I bought last season.

Note - I really didn't need another pair of skis but this was too good to pass on.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nice! Im waiting on mine, local store got most length... except 191cm which is what wanted, so kinda bummed out, I did get to see/flex the 184, seems fun!

way more power than the mindbender 99ti just by looking/flexing them.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Saw they were the same price as the M5 on there so they better reduce prices on the old ones. M6 skis look awesome!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just ordered from Ski Essentials the Völkl M6 Mantra Skis w/ Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW Bindings for $849.99 delivered. They have 177 and 184 lengths available.
Looking forward to posting a review and comparing to the K2 Mindbender 99 Ti I bought last season.

Note - I really didn't need another pair of skis but this was too good to pass on.
Fun! Let us know how you like them!

chris_the_wrench

Skier
Nice! Im waiting on mine, local store got most length... except 191cm which is what wanted, so kinda bummed out, I did get to see/flex the 184, seems fun!

way more power than the mindbender 99ti just by looking/flexing them.

Im waiting on the 191s also. My local volkl dealer doesnt have any sizes yet(last week when i was there).

Excited to get on them!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
there is a rumour they only made the small sizes for early release, and bigger are coming later :|

will post if mine show up

They sold a pair while I was in store, with red STH 2 binders on, damn that red on red was nice

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
First day on my 177 M6's @ Killington Vt. Sunny, 22 degrees, packed powder / soft-firm moguls / groomer zoomers. The skis are surprisingly quick turning making short swing turns on packed powder, groomers and moderate moguls with ease. You would think a much narrower waist given the edge hold on firm / approaching icy conditions. At speed STABLE with no tip chatter and a rocket doing GS turns on steeps. I found they ski moguls better than I do but glad they took me along for the ride in both large and small bumps. Very light feeling underfoot compared to my K2 Mindbender 99 Ti skis which have a more solid, heavier feel blasting through crud snow like a tank. I did not get a chance to try the M6's in similar conditions but I expect, although with a different feel, will be as capable as the Mindbenders. Fresh snow due tomorrow but only 1-3'" so will have somthing new to play on. Overall an excellent all mountain ski which I recommend demoing and afterwards having spare $$$ handy. Note - I am 6' and 240 lbs so even a stiff ski cries a bit when under me. A few pics of where I took them today.

Ski ya - Charlie

Attachments

• 20210221_132623.jpg
    20210221_132623.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 20210221_152033.jpg
    20210221_152033.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 133

David Orr

Getting off the lift
Skier
2022 Volkl Mantra M6 is an incredible ski...I skied them and many other brands at Demo Day today at Sugar Mountain, NC. I am not a big fan of "Fat Skis" for all 3 of my skis in my quiver are 68mm underfoot. However, if I were to go fat...it is the M6 All Day...perhaps Everyday!

Oh and Mama says, "These Volkl Secrets are my favs!"...as she skied 6 different women skis at Demo Day!

We all know what that means...

IMG_6046.JPG

Last edited:

David Orr

Getting off the lift
Skier
Philpug: Many times we will say “The best [insert ski here] yet!” In the case of the new M6 Mantra, I can say that with complete confidence. I have not been shy about saying that I haven't melded with Mantras of late, but I always had a good grasp of who the Mantra was for. The powers-to-be at Völkl understand my position; obviously they would prefer that I was gaga over the ski, but they respect my opinion and agree to disagree. Now, hello to the new M6 Mantra. It was as if Völkl took me aside and said, "Okay Phil, what can we do to the Mantra that makes you happy? Humor us, design your Mantra."

In my best Col. Jessup voice: “You want my opinion??? I’ll give you my opinion!" Here it is: bring over the 3D sidecut that you have incorporated in other models like the Deacons, Kendo 88, and Mantra 102, and then integrate your Tailored Carbon Tip from the Deacon V.Werks. Now, scale the ski for different-sized skiers, as past Mantras were uncompromising skis for many lighter or finesse skiers. Völkl's reply: ”Done.”

This new Mantra is not only for the best skiers on the hill, but also for most competent skiers looking for a ski in this range. IMHO, the 3D Radius sidecut that Völkl has been integrating in its skis works so well. Combining a tighter radius underfoot with a longer radius in the tip and tail makes for a ski that, when skied from the boot center, is quick and easy, but the longer radii allow the skier to relax and not get pulled around.
  • Insider tip: These ski true to length, perhaps even a hair long. No need to size up.
Hey Phil...Spot On...you're telling the truth!

"You want the truth ...you can't handle the truth" ...

You need me on that wall!" ....LOL

chris_the_wrench

Skier
Evo has the m6 in the small sizes, but still no 191s. Anyone seen the big boys anywhere yet??

chris_the_wrench

Skier
rumour is the non petite version wont be until august/okt :|

Don't they consider the Mantra to be their 'charger' ski, but aren't releasing the 'charger' length. Too bad, iI get it's a business decision, they can sell a ton of those 177 and 184 to folks and rental shops.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yes, but most people are smal (might be refferd to as normal) l, and this is a pre-release, and they dont make longest or shortest lengths for pre-release apparantly (info from my local favorite store who also carries volkl)

he had bought the entire stock of M6 in my country that was left apparantly, they belive it will sell a lot ;)

Last edited:

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
Today got to try a variety of Killington trails with sunshine, 60 degrees and corn snow everywhere. The M6 were flawless easily caving through boot top deep spring corn on both steeps and moguls - BIG MOGULS!!! As I noted before light underfoot and quick turning. This is now my favorite all mountain ski. Yesterday my wife demoed the 2022 Volkl Secret 96 in a 156 and was as impressed as I was with the M6 skiing moguls, ungroomed steeps, corduroy, hard pack also finding them quick turning and precise. As she is 5' she will wait for the 149 to be available. I encourage all to demo. Pic is Outer Limits.
20210311_115948.jpg

Sponsor