• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Völkl M6 Mantra

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
But I get your point , @Philpug , in fact I was also thinking to look for a light(er) combo. Already to replace the Barons on my Gotamas with a KingPin (or even an Alpinist) set would make things lighter...but given the Gotamas are aging, need to look for something new for my "go to" freeride everyday set.
Ideally a BMT or similar (from Volkl, since I am partial, given I am not a pro and not sponsored, I can spend my hard earned €€€ the way I prefer, tee hee ;-) ) with Kingpins or Duke PT in a 182-186 length.
Then an AT specific set in a short length (175-178 max), with very light bindings and all.
And last, a culoir specific set (need to be good in hards/icy snow as usually "couloirs season" comes in late, nearly in spring, where snow is hard and compact) again in max 177 length...

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Which I am not, @anders_nor , alas. I train (PT training, I mean) thrice a week, but that is barely keeping me fit enough to ski the way I ski (since, like my Gotamas, I am aging...)

Last edited:

Phatboy64

Booting up
Skier
FWIW I picked up a pair of M6s in a 177. They run long in actual length, closer to a 180. I have read there is only 4cm difference between the 177 and the 184 with the 184 being a “true” 184.
like other reviewers have reported, the skis really enjoyable to ski. I am a bigger guy and so far haven’t found a situation where I felt I needed it to be longer.

Phatboy64

Booting up
Skier
I am not in the same place as my skis right now but when I physically compared them to some 180s I have they were the same.
i read that this holds true for both the M6 and the M102, 4 to 5 mm difference between the 177 and the 184 with the 184 being true

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Was offerd the m6 184cm for demo today, so I of course jumped on it. definetly getting one. Conditions were superhard snow, but 0 ice on piste (all ice off), endless grip and sub zero, 100% bluebird there was not a single cloud all day.. probably the best 2 days of skiiing all season?!

Its like a quicker edge to edge M102, also lighter, but still has the crud busting & doesnt care whats in front of you capability. This thing is wayyyy better than the m5 (never liked it)

I'm 190cm and 112KG'ish, my friend is 172cm and 90KG'ish, and we were swapping. he thought it was a bit to long before testing by looking at it, but after testing he was like, noop loved it! he is very sceptical to "wide skis" but he had to admit he loved it, and was amazed at how agile it was, and how fast edge to edge. I did ski it to the very bottom for one run with piles of dry fine corned snow, it just laughed at that.

I'm keeping my order for 191cm over 184 though, but I was suprised at how much weight I could put on the 184, at no time did the shovels or underfoot or tail feel to soft, if I planned to use it for tighter terrain the 184 could have worked for sure. one of the most powerful 18x skis especially in 90/100mm segmnet.

I think I will sum it up as a wide cheater GS!
2021-04-25 12.40.13.jpg

2021-04-24 16.07.46.jpg

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Had a chance to try the M6 Mantra for the morning recently.

The skis were great fun, solid, and their performance certainly didn't give me pause when starting down a steep, bumped up run in mixed Sierra conditions. I did notice that the tails especially tended to hold on a little more than I was used to in the chalky bumps of the day, but I don't blame that on the ski and for me, that wasn't really a negative. More just the ski telling me that I wasn't quite committing to the bumps the way I should have.

On the groomers, in short, these rip. They were very quick edge to edge for a mid-90s ski, and completely solid in a carve. Lots of fun! Definitely a good all-round western ski if you want something that will carve on the groomers as well as it handles mixed conditions, bumps, and trees.

Don Boyajian

Booting up
Skier
So, I had a pair of Stockli Stormrider 95s that I loved. However, I had to send them back for a potential warranty replacement (top sheet separation). So, I picked up a pair of 184 M6 Mantras last Friday on my way to Mad River Glen (spoiled, I know). I think these Mantras are awesome. They're exactly what I want in this type of ski..smooth, reliable, and versatile. I suspect the Stockli will be a little better in powder, because of it's rocker profile and tip shape. That said, I think this Mantra just totally rocks. It was a lot of fun in bumps, no matter the firmness. Also had good edgehold. If I still lived in in CO, this would be my daily driver. Out east, I think it's appropriate for the days with decent conditions at places like MRG, Jay, etc. The ski carves a nice turn, but I also found it to be more than willing to pivot (in bumps, trees).

I also have skied a Head Monster 88 for a long time, which I similarly love. I'd say that this Mantra is a bit more versatile, but overall a very similar ski.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Had a demo day. My thoughts,

Volkl mantra m6. 184cm
Stupid easy to ski. Light feel. Stiff enough and stable. Muted feel, not really damp. Tails release easily in truly horrible snow. Superb am ski that provides great confidence in weird snow. Quiet energy. Carves really well for an am ski. Could replace all the 9x skis in my quiver.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Had a demo day. My thoughts,

Volkl mantra m6. 184cm
Stupid easy to ski. Light feel. Stiff enough and stable. Muted feel, not really damp. Tails release easily in truly horrible snow. Superb am ski that provides great confidence in weird snow. Quiet energy. Carves really well for an am ski. Could replace all the 9x skis in my quiver.
Interesting. This is one of the skis I could have snagged for the day when my gear went missing at the gathering. Now I wish I had picked it.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
But I get your point , @Philpug , in fact I was also thinking to look for a light(er) combo. Already to replace the Barons on my Gotamas with a KingPin (or even an Alpinist) set would make things lighter...but given the Gotamas are aging, need to look for something new for my "go to" freeride everyday set.
Ideally a BMT or similar (from Volkl, since I am partial, given I am not a pro and not sponsored, I can spend my hard earned €€€ the way I prefer, tee hee ;-) ) with Kingpins or Duke PT in a 182-186 length.
Then an AT specific set in a short length (175-178 max), with very light bindings and all.
And last, a culoir specific set (need to be good in hards/icy snow as usually "couloirs season" comes in late, nearly in spring, where snow is hard and compact) again in max 177 length...
I ski couloirs on the vwerks mantras and they are excellent.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Philpug, do you think that the m6 would bea good ski for squaw, a few days after a storm, or a couple of weeks?

I am still on the metal katanas, but i find them a bit cumbersome in steep bumps, like the ones on siberia, skiers left of the groomer.

Maybe not now, since I'm away from squaw she don't know the conditions.

Thinking 177. I'm 160 lbs and the vwerks mantras in 178 work well for me.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug, do you think that the m6 would bea good ski for squaw, a few days after a storm, or a couple of weeks?

I am still on the metal katanas, but i find them a bit cumbersome in steep bumps, like the ones on siberia, skiers left of the groomer.

Maybe not now, since I'm away from squaw she don't know the conditions.

Thinking 177. I'm 160 lbs and the vwerks mantras in 178 work well for me.

Thank you
Yes I do. Or even the Mantra 102.

Sponsor