• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Völkl Deacon 76 Master

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: Upper 70mm frontside skis seem to be all the rage, and Völkl is tossing its tirolerhut into the ring with the stellar Deacon 76 Master. Like its narrower brother, the 72 Master, the 76 has wood core, metal, sidewall construction, Marker Piston Plate, and more. Where the Deacon 76 Master differs from most of the other skis in this category is it comes stock with a Piston Plate rather than a commoner's system binding. An unusually large sweetspot makes the 76 Master very easy to ski, and a turn radius that is a couple of meters longer than the usual offerings make it a bit more relaxed and less nervous.

Insider tip: Marker offers an X-Comp 12 and 16; go with the 16, please.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Those looking for a medium-to long-radius ski in this waist width.
Who is it not for?
Short-turn fanatics. This is a sports sedan, not a sports coupe.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Race
  2. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
176, 181
Dimensions
124-76-104
Radius
17.6m@176cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Plate
Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Miniupdate, not quite LTT? but have closer to 10 days on them, even did one of our GS masters days on them.

On softer snow the tune can be masked a bit so they seemed OK on initial testing with stock base/edge, just a bit lacking, but once we had weather change I had to get the bases grind and did 0.5/3 setup. imho volkl should have done a better job og bases & edge from factory than they did, stock tune was unacceptable.

We have since that had some hot wind, then cold, repeat this a few times and we dont have the nice snow conditions we are used to, but very hardpack, and now ice. only good think is that the number of people skiiing has dropped, this saturday vs last I thnk only 5%? botherd showing up to ski ;)

Theese skis RIP on ice and hardpacked, when you get that edge angle and pressure on the edges.. ohh my! the amount of power you can get out of them on ice is amazing compared to how friendly they are thanks to the tiprocker.
They have the power of a k2 mti, but super friendly at the same time. On a fullcamber ski , with plates and a heavy person you will get a locked feeling and have to work much harder to go sideways for a bailout, but not on theese. at the same time dont (seem to) loose much of the performance, if any

When there is ice and hardpacked, there will usually be some piles as people tend to wanna go slower and skid instead of carve, and the tiprocker really helps here especially when coming to a stop or chilling instead of full attack, skiiing it back to back with say MTI its just much friendlier, 183 SX is similar ish but need to up the tune on my SX to compare more 1:1. You will just enjoy this ski so much when everyone goes home saying its to hard and not fun to ski. lets face it most 60mm race/masters skis can be a handful, this 76 is so much easier to ski, and it makes you look better than you are.

I feel volkl has made 2 very good skis in the 76 and 72 master. Even if you have other volkl skis like deacon 84 or 84 v-werks the 72 & 76 are just more powerfull and great for the harder days, but of course makes the sweetspot more narrow.

76 for days you feel the 84 v-werks just can't hang since its to hardpacked&icy and and I find that cheater GS style skis are darn fun.
72 for days where you wanna "do slalom turns" but you realise your to old and out of shape for your FIS SL all day and you wanna have fun, or your skiiing with slower skiers and want to get your speed down, but at the same time enjoy the day with some nice carves

I'm quite tall, quite heavy and my style of skiiing doesnt like noodles, and 76/72 has really deliverd on that.

Sponsor