• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Völkl M6 Mantra

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: Many times we will say “The best [insert ski here] yet!” In the case of the new M6 Mantra, I can say that with complete confidence. I have not been shy about saying that I haven't melded with Mantras of late, but I always had a good grasp of who the Mantra was for. The powers-to-be at Völkl understand my position; obviously they would prefer that I was gaga over the ski, but they respect my opinion and agree to disagree. Now, hello to the new M6 Mantra. It was as if Völkl took me aside and said, "Okay Phil, what can we do to the Mantra that makes you happy? Humor us, design your Mantra."

In my best Col. Jessup voice: “You want my opinion??? I’ll give you my opinion!" Here it is: bring over the 3D sidecut that you have incorporated in other models like the Deacons, Kendo 88, and Mantra 102, and then integrate your Tailored Carbon Tip from the Deacon V.Werks. Now, scale the ski for different-sized skiers, as past Mantras were uncompromising skis for many lighter or finesse skiers. Völkl's reply: ”Done.”

This new Mantra is not only for the best skiers on the hill, but also for most competent skiers looking for a ski in this range. IMHO, the 3D Radius sidecut that Völkl has been integrating in its skis works so well. Combining a tighter radius underfoot with a longer radius in the tip and tail makes for a ski that, when skied from the boot center, is quick and easy, but the longer radii allow the skier to relax and not get pulled around.
  • Insider tip: These ski true to length, perhaps even a hair long. No need to size up.
Erik Timmerman: When Völkl first introduced the Mantra, it was still selling square-tail Gotamas. It kind of created its own niche. It is very all-mountain, and most of the people I know who love the Mantra love skiing fast on steep trails every day no matter what the snow is like, crud or ice. This ski grips hard and lets you feel everything. I get it, I really do, but for me, this has to be a quiver ski for softer days. My knee felt everything.

Insider tip: The Blaze exists for a reason.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Scaling the construction with the Tailored Titanal Frame makes the M6 a ski for good skiers of all sizes. By integrating this new construction into the Mantra’s design, Völkl can now offer the Mantra down to a 163.
Who is it not for?
All but the lightest finesse skiers; but no worries, Völkl will be happy to sell you a Blaze 94.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Moguls
  2. Off Piste
  3. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
163, 170, 177,184, 191
Dimensions
135-96-119
Radius
29.8/17.5/24.3m@177cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Construction
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat
Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ohh Cheeeky its allready official?! ready for a 191.... !

make 90mms great again?

the m5 was good, but lacking vs the mantra 102 and deacon 84, so I feel this is good.

I do wish they made longer kendo 88s.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another ski for me to be excited about! @Philpug: the M5 was reputed to be one of the stronger and more precise frontside carvers for this class. How does the M6 perform on piste in that regard?

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I skied the M5 a couple years ago in Verbier and really did not like the ski at all. Moved on to the enforcer 93 and now the SR95 which I love. Curious how the new Mantra compares to the SR95

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Awww! C'mon Phil. Why do you have to go and like the M6. :nono:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Awww! C'mon Phil. Why do you have to go and like the M6. :nono:
It's all about the 3D sidecut for me. If you like the new Kendo 88 and Mantra 102, you will like the new M6

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The 2020 Kendo 88 is OK. :rolleyes:
For me the M5 is like a high strung girl friend. Everything is great until she turns on you.

Loved the M5 in most everyday use. Liked the feel better than the new Kendo 88. Livelier and better kick out of the turn. Where it goes schizo is when it gets steep (I mean STEEEEP) and hard snow (ICE). The ski would lose all composure. Unlike the previous gens of Mantra (including the non-cambered 4th gen) where the tip would come around in steep hard snow and engaged with a confidence inducing "THUCK." The M5 at the same place and time would engage with a "Twang". Usually followed with a bong and bing, bing, bing, OH S**T, SCREEEEEE (fingernail on chalkboard sound). A quick change of bottom base layer completes the cycle. :nono:

Hope the M6 improves on that specific area of deficiency.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
These updates should make these rip and much more versatile at all speeds. Bet they are quieter on the snow too with the infused carbon stringers now on the tips vs the previous solid carbon sheet.

Assuming similar weight and rocker profile to the M5? Did they change tip splay and/or make the tip smoother sloped tip for afternoon crud busting as that would be my wish of all the wider Volkls. Still bulldoze a bit at high speeds vs Enforcer/Fisher FR/Dynastar tips.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
For me the M5 is like a high strung girl friend. Everything is great until she turns on you.

Loved the M5 in most everyday use. Liked the feel better than the new Kendo 88. Livelier and better kick out of the turn. Where it goes schizo is when it gets steep (I mean STEEEEP) and hard snow (ICE). The ski would lose all composure. Unlike the previous gens of Mantra (including the non-cambered 4th gen) where the tip would come around in steep hard snow and engaged with a confidence inducing "THUCK." The M5 at the same place and time would engage with a "Twang". Usually followed with a bong and bing, bing, bing, OH S**T, SCREEEEEE (fingernail on chalkboard sound). A quick change of bottom base layer completes the cycle. :nono:

I remember that day vividly
Everyone on SL skis were much happier in that chute

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I remembered that one. @Sandy_NYC was on my SL. Told her she has to go buy her own after that.
I also remembered the Secret 92 in our group took the express elevator down that chute.

Had the same issue at Lake Louise and Sunshine before that. Wasn't a happy camper then either. Other than steep ice, the M5 is a decent ski. Most likely a torsional rigidity and dampness issue.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I remembered that one. @Sandy_NYC was on my SL. Told her she has to go buy her own after that.
I also remembered the Secret 92 in our group took the express elevator down that chute.
Missing you guys. :wave: I see a California trip in my 2022 schedule.

KG, Sandy is nipping at your heels, no matter what ski she's on. Only a matter of time until you're eating her dust. (PS, I did notice those S9s on her feet last year.)

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Missing you guys. :wave: I see a California trip in my 2022 schedule.

KG, Sandy is nipping at your heels, no matter what ski she's on. Only a matter of time until you're eating her dust. (PS, I did notice those S9s on her feet last year.)

We are hoping and planning to be in CA in 2022 for spring skiing. If we are still alive.

Yeah, @Sandy_NYC is coming along nicely. We skied together quite a bit last season. Stratton, Taos and JH. She is getting quite good. Helped set her up on her S9 last season.

No worries, though on finding me with tread marks on my back. If I do my job properly, that is what should happen.
It is good for the whole crew to improve and move up. That is the goal anyway. But remember I do drive a Nash Rambler. :ogcool:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last year's Mantra I liked as a fat GS ski. It carved very well, for a fat ski: great smooth carve. But off piste, in uneven, bumped up crud, it was jarring - so many skis with better dampness there. I still use mine - for mostly carving groomers only. It's just that for that I'd rather be on a pair of 188/30 GS skis or cheater GS skis for what that M5 Mantra did best.

3D skis are often great, more varied in what they do: my reference for that is the Fischer RC One GT 86, which noticeably has different carves hidden in the same ski, that come out with different turns. So maybe the M6 will be an improvement, and not so one dimensional, at least for me.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
I"m excited about trying this one, I went from really liking to really loving the Kendo 88, just updated my last review. The M5 was not for me either, I owned it for a bit, but never bonded. I think the 3d sidecut may help a lot, more shapely, but have issues with wide tips and my narrow stance, it's one of the reasons I like more taper in close to 100mm wide skis.

Speaking of that,
Calbearski,
I loved the saloman stance, although I skied the 90. It has more taper, tip in stance 96 is 3mm narrower than the m6.

Looking forward to trying m6, thx for the review Phil!
W

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I REALLY liked my M5's. It was my everyday ski last year out here in the west. 70 some days on it last season. I rode it in the 191 and loved the dampening and control I had blowing through chopped up crud, and then I could put it on edge down groomers and crank high speed gs turns with great stability and edge to edge transfer.

That being said, if I got tired or those first few days of the year when I was getting my legs back they would talk back to me. Now then I see a fair amount of them on the lifts and I chat with people who are skiing them. Most of the people I speak with that are riding them are skiing 10-15 days a year. I really wonder if that's correct ski for them or if they are being sold on the skis possibilities and not truly the ski for them.

Regardless, most likely I'll be adding the m6 to my collection.
-Chris

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update: I skied the new M6 again when I was back at Waterville Valley for the demo..in 4" of fresh over firm conditions. Yup, my first impressions of the new Mantra were correct, Volkl nailed it with the 3D radius. I do find the new carbon enhanced tip to be a little noisy but there was no feeling of a disconnect with the snow.
While many skis have proclaimed they knocked Volkl off of their perch, Volkl is holding strong with ther newest incarnation of this storied ski.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

I agree with this. I also loved the M5. In steeper really hard snow I had to be very smooth in my technique for that not to bother me. I guess its a bit lighter weight than the old model.

Sponsor