• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta 2023-2024 Big Sky Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lift control issues?

It amazes me they haven't just replaced this entire lift with an electric one. It feels as if the rebuilds never help and just make things worse.
Thunder Wolf is a lift with an electric primary drive did you mean a direct drive lift like Ramcharger and Swift Current? The T Wolf control issue in the past was related to chair spacing and I agree the BS track record with rebuilds isn't strong when the relocated HSQ at Shedhorn and "old Swift Current" are considered.

tele

Booting up
Skier
Thunder Wolf is a lift with an electric primary drive did you mean a direct drive lift like Ramcharger and Swift Current? The T Wolf control issue in the past was related to chair spacing and I agree the BS track record with rebuilds isn't strong when the relocated HSQ at Shedhorn and "old Swift Current" are considered.
Yea. It's so old and slow its wild.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Lift control issues?

It amazes me they haven't just replaced this entire lift with an electric one. It feels as if the rebuilds never help and just make things worse.
We probably could all agree to have Big Sky upgrade a lot of lifts . . . but they've put their money into the primary ones first, including Swifty (all agree that had to be done) and now the new tram, plus base gondola for next year. There's only so much money and bandwidth to do more . . . though IIRC Big Sky 2025 originally had TWolf, 6 Shooter and Southern Comfort all on the upgrade list. Maybe Big Sky 2030?

Found this article from when BS2025 was originally announced: http://mountainjourney.com/big-sky-resort-2025/

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'll bet a cold PBR that Southern Comfort is upgraded with a heated, bubble chair before Thunder Wolf, because the lines get longer there and beginners get colder too.

Always wondered why TW has so many problems.

Guess in some ways it's a sign of progress that a "high speed quad" would be considered slow and Cold.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'll bet a cold PBR that Southern Comfort is upgraded with a heated, bubble chair before Thunder Wolf, because the lines get longer there and beginners get colder too.

Always wondered why TW has so many problems.

Guess in some ways it's a sign of progress that a "high speed quad" would be considered slow and Cold.
And because the Montage may kick in some money for it.

OddTurn

Booting up
Skier
Any guess on what might be open by Monday ?
I have a trip plan but with what is currently open it doesn't seem worth it. Would like at least a bump run or two.
The resort's website isn't very forthcoming: https://bigskyresort.com/snow-report.
What are the chances for Swift Current and Powder Seeker to be open ?
I'd also guess that Congo and similar need a lot more snow than what is forecasted to be open ?
One worry is that the resort would want to preserve snow for the Christmas period.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
A foot and still falling is a big help. The news reporting over 30 wrecks!
My guess is powder seeker opens asap unless there are avalanche issues.
I’m not on site but I think you will know by Saturday Morning.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Odd turn, I wouldn’t expect any of the trails you’re hoping for to be ready for next week. SC6 is open for special K and lower explorer 8-12” isn’t going to open P Seeker or Congo IMO

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The marketing department might need an early season tune up.
The website is suggesting a 143” base this morning, I think they forgot a decimal point.

There is also a leader board on the BS app promoting most miles skied with only 8 trails and 200 acres open, this might explain why I’ve almost been hit a half dozen times in two weeks by skiers straight lining.
Screen shot of the loser, er, ”leaderboard” this morning with Phil leading by the way :ogbiggrin:

IMG_4118.png

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any guess on what might be open by Monday ?
What are the chances for Swift Current and Powder Seeker to be open ?
I'd also guess that Congo and similar need a lot more snow than what is forecasted to be open ?
To add a little more texture to BSS' accurate observations. Currently there are almost 7 (if you add fractions) ways down Lone Peak and Andesite mountains. Snow making was going on Hangman's today and it looks like Calamity Jane may get some snow making in an attempt to get it open.

While there is a chance that Powder Seeker would open to play scree dodge on upper Morning Star before Monday, I am not optimistic but maybe one of the next weather disturbances will deliver.

If I was traveling more than 60 miles to ski Big Sky I would wait for a deeper base and more room to spread out.

OddTurn

Booting up
Skier
Thank you all for the feedback, I really appreciate it, it's not always easy to get an idea of the conditions from afar. I canceled my trip. I've always had such a nice experience at Big Sky that I don't want to ruin it by lapping the same few groomers for 4 days.

tele

Booting up
Skier
To add a little more texture to BSS' accurate observations. Currently there are almost 7 (if you add fractions) ways down Lone Peak and Andesite mountains. Snow making was going on Hangman's today and it looks like Calamity Jane may get some snow making in an attempt to get it open.

While there is a chance that Powder Seeker would open to play scree dodge on upper Morning Star before Monday, I am not optimistic but maybe one of the next weather disturbances will deliver.

If I was traveling more than 60 miles to ski Big Sky I would wait for a deeper base and more room to spread out.
100% correct. In order to cover the rocks, we’re in need of 4 feet of snow…..

tele

Booting up
Skier
We probably could all agree to have Big Sky upgrade a lot of lifts . . . but they've put their money into the primary ones first, including Swifty (all agree that had to be done) and now the new tram, plus base gondola for next year. There's only so much money and bandwidth to do more . . . though IIRC Big Sky 2025 originally had TWolf, 6 Shooter and Southern Comfort all on the upgrade list. Maybe Big Sky 2030?

Found this article from when BS2025 was originally announced: http://mountainjourney.com/big-sky-resort-2025/
Lot of stuff there. You are right though, BSR is poor, and LMLC controls all the money in Big Sky.….

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you all for the feedback, I really appreciate it, it's not always easy to get an idea of the conditions from afar. I canceled my trip. I've always had such a nice experience at Big Sky that I don't want to ruin it by lapping the same few groomers for 4 days.
You made the right call. It is Monday morning and 2 more issues fell over night here in Big Sky but no remarkable changes in open trails or coverage.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well the new Big Sky tram may be opening on schedule which is exciting. The following lifts were scheduled to open tomorrow, the 15th of December, but won't because of the lack of snow:
  • Iron Horse
  • Six Shooter
  • Lone Tree
  • Pony Express
  • Headwaters
  • Shedhorn
  • Southern Comfort
  • Sacajawea
  • Bear Back
  • Cascade
  • Little Thunder
  • Stage Coach
  • Jay Hawk
  • Dakota
  • Cabin
  • Homer
  • Pull Up
  • Tweener
  • Highlands
  • Lone Moose

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Mark Twain said “A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes”. Applies to rumors too.
On target for a on time departure. Best info I have as of yesterday is the project was basically finished in September. As with any big complex construction project there were a few redos but everything is working properly and the stress testing is about complete.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was out today making a few trips and a few workers buzzing about the bottom, my guess it will be ready for the scheduled grand opening. We were right underneath when it left the terminal this morning, wicked quick and stealthy quiet.

Sponsor

Staff online