• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2023-2024 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Going to try to get to Vail tomorrow or my first day of the season. I've never started with a pow day before!
It has been suitably powtastic at Vail today!

The drive over the pass was a little dicey just because of vis. The road was in good shape. Hope I get back this evening.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@50kVert and I are meeting at Keystone at the bottom of the Summit Express Mon 10:30am if anyone else is interested in getting together for a few runs. I'll be wearing all blue with a dark grey helmet, bamboo poles with white and black LEKI Trigger grips and skis with SkiTalk stickers on them. Hope to see a few Pugskiers tomorrow for a powderish day.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
20231203_135814.jpg Vail was awesome today, probably one of my better early season days ever. Glad I brought my new Rustler 10s, definitely the ideal ski for today. Handled the pow, chop and soft bumps very well. Spent most of the day around Mid-Vail, coverage was very good outside of a few runs, Look Ma had some sharks. Zot was probably one of my favorite runs of the day but most of the open advanced runs are pretty similar.

I wish an Ikon mountain would invest in opening up as much terrain as Vail has, the skiing experience right now blows Copper away.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
View attachment 217366 Vail was awesome today, probably one of my better early season days ever. Glad I brought my new Rustler 10s, definitely the ideal ski for today. Handled the pow, chop and soft bumps very well. Spent most of the day around Mid-Vail, coverage was very good outside of a few runs, Look Ma had some sharks. Zot was probably one of my favorite runs of the day but most of the open advanced runs are pretty similar.

I wish an Ikon mountain would invest in opening up as much terrain as Vail has, the skiing experience right now blows Copper away.
Unfortunately for us peons, Copper has a lot of other obligations in early season. But you can go there and see national ski teams and the biggest superpipe blah blah blah....

gratedwasabi

Getting on the lift
Skier
How is Aspen Snowmass looking? I'm debating switching my 12/17-12/21 trip from Big Sky to either Snowmass or Steamboat.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
View attachment 217366 Vail was awesome today, probably one of my better early season days ever. Glad I brought my new Rustler 10s, definitely the ideal ski for today. Handled the pow, chop and soft bumps very well. Spent most of the day around Mid-Vail, coverage was very good outside of a few runs, Look Ma had some sharks. Zot was probably one of my favorite runs of the day but most of the open advanced runs are pretty similar.

We said the same about Crested Butte - insanely good day with a ton of open terrain for Dec 3rd and definitely one of the best early season days I can remember. We skied from 10:00 to the bell with a 30 minute break. Paradise opened yesterday and we usually avoid it on low light days because visibility is a challenge combined with often icy conditions, but it skied superbly top to bottom. No lift lines except a few mins at the base.

IMG_8896.jpeg

IMG_8900.jpeg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Vail was awesome today
I'll second that! All of mid-Vail open, and later most of everything off of Avanti. Soft snow all day, and a little bit of untracked in the morning. Did almost 15k... quite a first day of the season for me.

The downside is I didn't get home to Keystone until just a few mins ago, after waiting all evening for Vail Pass to open.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll second that! All of mid-Vail open, and later most of everything off of Avanti. Soft snow all day, and a little bit of untracked in the morning. Did almost 15k... quite a first day of the season for me.

The downside is I didn't get home to Keystone until just a few mins ago, after waiting all evening for Vail Pass to open.

What are you skiing on this season Dave?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What are you skiing on this season Dave?
Snow!

:D

Yesterday I was on Atomic Vantage 90s as those are what I decided to leave in Colorado. Other trips I'll probably have Stockli SR95s or Blossom Pure 99s... or Stockli Laser SCs, or Blossom AM77's if there will be more hardpack. I also have DPS Cassiar 87s... I have too many skis!!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This storm is a terrain opener for sure for the i70 resorts! Should be good enough for a lot of the beginner and intermediate terrain to open. The wind did a number on the snow so there should be some winners and losers so while there isnt enough snow for the expert terrain to open some runs might actually have been loaded and have more than ample coverage to open if the control efforts were positive and not destructive.

Now, the backcountry should be extremely sketch with a widespread solid slab on top of junk in the alpine and the typical Colorado layer cake in most areas up high.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Snow!

Yesterday I was on Atomic Vantage 90s as those are what I decided to leave in Colorado. Other trips I'll probably have Stockli SR95s or Blossom Pure 99s... or Stockli Laser SCs, or Blossom AM77's if there will be more hardpack. I also have DPS Cassiar 87s... I have too many skis!!

You can never have too many skis. No such thing.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snow!

I noticed the Vantage 90s in the Big Sky gathering write up. Those are the skis that were rented to me for my "return to skiing" back in 2018. I liked them and considered buying a pair. Still thinking about the successor Maverick 88 or 95 for my next daily driver... :huh:

I have... not enough skis... :cool:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Look at this graph by Chris Tomer:

Again you need roughly more than 50in totals to open mellow terrain and much more (80~100) to start opening the good stuff and that is with great snow preservation and somewhat favorable winds. (not counting any snowmaking obviously) Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 8.41.19 AM.png

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You know what site you are on, right?
I'm well aware. If it weren't for this site, I'd probably have "not enough skis". But because of this site I have "too many skis".

"Too many skis" is just the natural state of things around here. :)

I noticed the Vantage 90s in the Big Sky gathering write up.

Yep... I've had them for a while... they're still one of my favorites for mixed conditions.

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Decided to go to Copper instead of A-Basin, snow was good but it was busy. Everyone kind of funnels into one area and it turns into the skiing version of the Hunger Games. Ski patrol had their hands full. They did drop the rope on a few of the blacks off Excelerator briefly which helped a bit.

Yep, it was a very busy weekend. The runs you mention were Mine Dump and West Ptarmigan. You may have seen me up there. I was the guy freezing my a$$ off. I guess I wasn't ready for 5 degrees this early in the season.

Did Vail go "Wolf Creek" and open a bunch of terrain or was the snow cover that good? Based on the chart @Ken_R posted above actual snow fall difference between Copper and Vail is not that much. Maybe 8-10"? (Copper is only an Ikon partner)

And what's this positive talk about Vail and actually posting a pic with absolutely no one on the trail!!!! Is that even allowed on here??? :duck:

:beercheer:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Did Vail go "Wolf Creek" and open a bunch of terrain or was the snow cover that good?
A little of both? There were some small trees and grass in places off piste. But overall the snow cover was great. Big soft pillows some places, but also some hidden dips and holes I saw a few people in that went further afield. Some trees were even open. Patrol was putting a lot of markers out to try to point out buried things or hollows/holes.

I have some pics on my camera that I'll try to post this evening - not sure if I got any really showing the conditions. But, given usual early season mindset, I thought the coverage was great. Per OpenSnow, Vail has gotten 68", and Copper 55". So a little bit of difference.

Sponsor

Staff online