• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2023-2024 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Did Vail go "Wolf Creek" and open a bunch of terrain or was the snow cover that good? Based on the chart @Ken_R posted above actual snow fall difference between Copper and Vail is not that much. Maybe 8-10"? (Copper is only an Ikon partner)

And what's this positive talk about Vail and actually posting a pic with absolutely no one on the trail!!!! Is that even allowed on here??? :duck:

:beercheer:
CB has a lot of natural terrain open quite aggressively so Vail is certainly pushing it here. There is tree skiing, meadow skiing, plenty of ungroomed.

This is Bushwacker Friday and today.

IMG_8860.jpeg IMG_8921.jpeg

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snow!

:D

Yesterday I was on Atomic Vantage 90s as those are what I decided to leave in Colorado. Other trips I'll probably have Stockli SR95s or Blossom Pure 99s... or Stockli Laser SCs, or Blossom AM77's if there will be more hardpack. I also have DPS Cassiar 87s... I have too many skis!!
Seems lacking on the wide end of the spectrum ... :wave:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems a lacking on the wide end of the spectrum ... :wave:
What are you talking about... I have 3 pairs of skis between 90 and 99 mm wide. Seems like a lot of wide skis to me.

(I don't think I've ever skied snow where I wanted/needed wider. I think it would have to be actual bottomless 2+ feet... but I've never come across that and probably wouldn't know what to do in it.)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
A nice morning with friends at Breck. We kept hoping for a rope drop over on 8 but didn't get one. The wind blown snow on top of early groom cord was quite fun if a bit stiff. Over on 9, it may not have been just dropped, but the ropes were down on Peerless, Gold King and Volunteer. The pitches were a bit chunky from use and stiff where fresh. The lower areas were much less used and twice the fun.

PXL_20231204_170205965.jpg Baldy had a toupee.

PXL_20231204_181035719.jpg
Horseshoe bowl was looking good. They'd blasted a little and nothing appeared to have slid.

strava248611318660572806.jpg

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
20231204_141736.jpg

It was a beautiful day at Vail, a break for the storms and some sun. Everything was still nice and soft, was hoping for some rope drops but had no such luck. Seems like tomorrow might be the day for more terrain to open, sadly I'll be on a plane back to the tundra. All in all pretty impressive early season trip that I booked with zero expectations of getting 2 feet of powder.

1701732746737.png

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yep, it was a very busy weekend. The runs you mention were Mine Dump and West Ptarmigan. You may have seen me up there. I was the guy freezing my a$$ off. I guess I wasn't ready for 5 degrees this early in the season.

Did Vail go "Wolf Creek" and open a bunch of terrain or was the snow cover that good? Based on the chart @Ken_R posted above actual snow fall difference between Copper and Vail is not that much. Maybe 8-10"? (Copper is only an Ikon partner)

And what's this positive talk about Vail and actually posting a pic with absolutely no one on the trail!!!! Is that even allowed on here??? :duck:

:beercheer:

The snow cover is fantastic, a few runs are a bit sketchy but you can see that from the lift. I feel like they could open another 20 runs without much difficutly, guessing that will be the case over the next few days. Vail did impress me but Copper is still my favorite resort on I70 and I will be looking forward to my late season trip back to Summit county for A-Basin and Copper in April.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What are you talking about... I have 3 pairs of skis between 90 and 99 mm wide. Seems like a lot of wide skis to me.

(I don't think I've ever skied snow where I wanted/needed wider. I think it would have to be actual bottomless 2+ feet... but I've never come across that and probably wouldn't know what to do in it.)
Precisely why you get the wider skis, they do it for you! Pick yo'self up a pair of ZX108s on the current sales, and enjoy.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I have skied opening day at Vail a few times in the not-so-distant past, and they do open stuff waaaaaay sooner than Copper would. Yes, there are bushes sticking out, but that's (more than) ok. Most places open runs sooner than Copper does, frankly.

John Fritz

Booting up
Skier
New season PSA! Any of you vintage age skiers out there heading up to the Summit Co area to ski this season looking for some company, we have an awesome seniors ski group called Summit 50+ Ski with Us and you're welcome to join us.

We meet every Tuesday at Breckenridge and every Thursday at Keystone. Also a bunch of us with Icon Passes will meet at Copper on Wednesdays. We accomodate all levels of skiing from solid intermediate on up.

Attachments

• 20231127_151344.jpg
    20231127_151344.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 5

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A few Vail pics from yesterday... I may not have the captions correct...

No idea where this was, but there was a good bit of this...
Keystone December 2023 001 ACR Conv.jpg

Mid-Vail view
Keystone December 2023 003 ACR Conv.jpg

The Skipper
Keystone December 2023 006 ACR Conv.jpg

Lone patroller on closed terrain left of Avanti
Keystone December 2023 009 ACR Conv.jpg

Heading down Born Free maybe?
Keystone December 2023 011 ACR Conv.jpg

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree but is it because Copper does more directed skiing than other places might to start? Maybe. And then there is the whole race team access you touched on.

I think they do? Personally I have done waaaaay more directed skiing at Copper than anywhere, but I’ve also skied way more there than anyhere, so I’m not totally sure. It does seem like other places just drop a rope and let the chips fall where they may. I’m sure there are pros and cons to both. I always assumed slowness was largely due to staffing (that plus the other obligations). As a mostly weekday skier, these weekend storms can be a bummer except when they do open stuff during the week…. then it’s quite nice.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For anyone that's skied Breck or Keystone or Vail at this point... did you use the My Epic app on your phone as your mobile pass? How's that working for everyone? Anything to know before using it?
Skied Keystone yesterday. Was feeling brave, left my pass in the car and used the My Epic app only. Had to take my phone out in order to get the barcode scanned about 50% of the time. Overall, disappointed and will carry my pass the rest of the season. Lifties admitted that they were having problems scanning the phone consistently.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Keystone yesterday. Was feeling brave, left my pass in the car and used the My Epic app only. Had to take my phone out in order to get the barcode scanned about 50% of the time. Overall, disappointed and will carry my pass the rest of the season. Lifties admitted that they were having problems scanning the phone consistently.
Oh yeah... at Vail I had my pass in my wallet in a pocket, and my phone running the app in another pocket. The lifties said sometimes the pass can interfere with the phone. Sure enough, my phone registered exactly 1 lift ride all day. According to the Epic app, I skied 813 vertical feet for the day.

I am highly doubtful that having the pass on me kept the Epic app from working. I think it just has issues. That said, I still could have skied without my pass, but might have had to pull my phone out if I went the whole way to the base to get on the gondi.

Sponsor

Staff online