• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2023-2024 Four Corners Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I almost went up last weekend but it seemed sketchy with the gondola running and no second way down from the top so everyone getting dumped into the catwalk at midway. Hopefully the snow this week allows them to get some more stuff open. Sunrise should have powdery opening day.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Went up to Ski Santa Fe yesterday, last minute decision.

Skied 7 runs, felt good. Packed powder with a few firm spots but this formerly eastern skier thinks those conditions are amazing. ogsmile Had to head back home for a meeting so then left. Nice ski area with a cool local vibe. Not much open (basically one blue run and the beginner slope) but that's OK for me right now.

Hopefully some snow comes in starting on Thursday-ish.

IMG_0763.jpeg IMG_0761.jpeg IMG_0766.jpeg IMG_0765.jpeg

TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not feeling the urge to ski a run named Muerte. :cool:

sketchyAnalogies

Enginearing my limit
Skier
I almost went up last weekend but it seemed sketchy with the gondola running and no second way down from the top so everyone getting dumped into the catwalk at midway. Hopefully the snow this week allows them to get some more stuff open. Sunrise should have powdery opening day.
I was there open to 2ish last Saturday.
Stared off great, then more people showed up.
Hardpack stayed frozen all day but it was rough and uneven midday as it was heavily skied.
Merging with the Gondola wasn't too hectic, but it was a mess on Logjam. Super dense, and full of people who had very little being up there. People got board of little spruce, and people brought there significant others and friends to learn so it got really busy. During one of my runs I overheard ski patrol near a crash say all they could do was watch them walk down, all the sleds were in use. I must have passed 3-4 crashes that run alone. Beginners, people going too fast through crowds, admittedly my dumbass doing drills like whirlybirds before quickly deciding that was a bad idea.

I had a great time. Learned where my boots need to be adjusted, got back into things and even progressed a bit. Heavy crowds was not fun, so I focused on short turns and stroking the ski. Lift lines were not pleasant, they felt messy and unorganized.

As a young, patient, optimistic person, I had a great time until the lift lines were just too much and my boots were killing my feet.

Last edited:

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was there open to 2ish last Saturday.
Stared off great, then more people showed up.
Hardpack stayed frozen all day but it was rough and uneven midday as it was heavily skied.
Merging with the Gondola wasn't too hectic, but it was a mess on Logjam. Super dense, and full of people who had very little being up there. People got board of little spruce, and people brought there significant others and friends to learn so it got really busy. During one of my runs I overheard ski patrol near a crash say all they could do was watch them walk down, all the sleds were in use. I must have passed 3-4 crashes that run alone. Beginners, people going too fast through crowds, admittedly my dumbass doing drills like whirlybirds before quickly deciding that was a bad idea.

I had a great time. Learned where my boots need to be adjusted, got back into things and even progressed a bit. Heavy crowds was not fun, so I focused on short turns and stroking the ski. Lift lines were not pleasant, they felt messy and unorganized.

As a young, patient, optimistic person, I had a great time until the lift lines were just too much and my boots were killing my feet.
Sounds about right and you have the right mindset for skiing Snowbowl. I've had to reset my expectations about skiing up there over the last few years and it has been a better situation for me. It is a busy mountain that is always full of college kids and folks that just don't have a lot of experience. That's just what it is now. I'm strategic about when I go up now and how I ski the mountain and I have really good days but I can see why people complain.

sketchyAnalogies

Enginearing my limit
Skier
Sounds about right and you have the right mindset for skiing Snowbowl. I've had to reset my expectations about skiing up there over the last few years and it has been a better situation for me. It is a busy mountain that is always full of college kids and folks that just don't have a lot of experience. That's just what it is now. I'm strategic about when I go up now and how I ski the mountain and I have really good days but I can see why people complain.
Absolutely. I'm one of the college kids from Prescott, and while I'm confident I'm still just learning in the grand scheme of things. I consider myself a level 6, but I don't have many total days on snow and I'm absolutely still focused on progression. It's my last year at Snowbowl before I head to Ohio, so I'm trying to enjoy vertical measured in the thousands while I still can lol.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
20231130_111954.jpg
20231130_112339.jpg
Nice when your first day of the season is a powder day! Ski Santa Fe. Skied until 12:30 when it got a bit busier. No lines up until then, just right onto the lift. Still only one run open (besides the baby slope) but plenty of fun. They expect to open Broadway this weekend.

Joke of the day heard on the quad chair...one guy to his friend, "wanna do the same run?" The other 2 of us on the chair burst out laughing.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dangerous because of the high beer per run ratio?
It's one icy and narrow run filled with young people skiing beyond their abilities without an understanding of the consequences of that if things were to go wrong. It's one thing to risk your own health but it's another to selfishly risk everyone else's with your behavior.

Unlike sketchyAnalogies I'm not young and optimistic in these circumstances. I've spent a lifetime worth of time out skiing already and I don't need to go in dangerous and less than ideal conditions.

With age comes patience though and I will happily wait until things improve or I'll just go chase the sun and ride bikes in the desert.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
Doing things a little differently this year. Maybe some of you can guess why.

Only about the second year in the last decade without an AZSB pass.

Attachments

• PXL_20231204_060736517.jpg
    PXL_20231204_060736517.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

You have friends/family up there? Price seems reasonable, and a solid selection of Partner resorts. Is the Ikon Base pass some sort of add-on? I can see a road trip that hits Purg, Monarch and then on up to Summit county to take in Copper, Arapahoe and Loveland.

I had the full Power Pass for only one season. While a good value for the Senior version, I didn't use it enough. I think I might go for the 12-day pass next season, which I could split between AZSB and Purg. Also unlimited Brian Head and 3 partner days at Monarch and Sundance. If I remember correctly, the preseason price was ~$350 (?) (senior)

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Nice. I could live in Salida and ski Monarch and be a happy man for a long time.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
You have friends/family up there? Price seems reasonable, and a solid selection of Partner resorts. Is the Ikon Base pass some sort of add-on? I can see a road trip that hits Purg, Monarch and then on up to Summit county to take in Copper, Arapahoe and Loveland.

I had the full Power Pass for only one season. While a good value for the Senior version, I didn't use it enough. I think I might go for the 12-day pass next season, which I could split between AZSB and Purg. Also unlimited Brian Head and 3 partner days at Monarch and Sundance. If I remember correctly, the preseason price was ~$350 (?) (senior)
I do not, though I have been to the area a dozen times. I am planning a 12 day ski bum road trip for the begining of January that needs to reach Powder Mountain UT, but what places get visited along the way is completely up in the air. Was going to post a thread on it later.

It was 90% the partners and 10% price. Most notably, the IKON partners and specifically the significant one that isn't on the powerpass this year. Even early season, Monarch was $150+ cheaper than power. It's even more today.

I ended up only going up to AZSB on Sundays last year. Saw enough pictures and documentation of the Saturday disasters posted on here and YT live cams to avoid. And come April, if I am spending time up there...I'll simply buy the 2024/25 pass and ski the spring for free.
Nice. I could live in Salida and ski Monarch and be a happy man for a long time.
I have tickets to go to Denver for the third weekend of Dec. Now that I have the pass, TBD if I go and where I ski. Waiting to see how the storms develop.

TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if I were you @Dryheat I would just follow the storms if possible and post here for any beta that you need on the way. Sounds like a blast of a trip.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Where those early season big dumps at? :(

p168i.gif

Sponsor