• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023/2024 How many days so far?

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Day 2 at Rose with @Pat AKA mustski, Bob, @Philpug, @Tricia, and @Winks . Lines were more reasonable today. Some nice hard scraped off with piles off granulated sugar early turning a bit softer in the early afternoon. Ski on all day. Still only one run open but it was good skiing.
20231113_135312.jpg
20231113_135306.jpg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Day 2 at Rose with @Pat AKA mustski, Bob, @Philpug, @Tricia, and @Winks . Lines were more reasonable today. Some nice hard scraped off with piles off granulated sugar early turning a bit softer in the early afternoon. Ski on all day. Still only one run open but it was good skiing.

How’s coverage?
Do you know if they have a senior rate?

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How’s coverage?
Do you know if they have a senior rate?
The coverage where it's open is good. Only Kit Carson Traverse to Kit Carson to Ponderosa, so almost top to bottom. Everywhere else, even under Wizard, is pretty bare. It looks pretty good from the bottom but it's super thin. I don't think they have senior tickets but they do have the "dynamic pricing" if you get online ahead of time. Sadly, the $169 price for the holiday weekend is 6% off, meaning a regular day pass is around $180! Crazy talk!

Last edited:

Sinecure

Everyone's fav Jewish Santa
Instructor
View attachment 215585 View attachment 215586
Today was fun. Day 2 for me as well. Great to see you guys. Thanks Phil for letting me try out some Peak skis. I'll be out there tomorrow as well. Maybe all week.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
IMG_3790.jpeg
Day #1 at Mt. Rose!
The morning met expectations only because I had high expectations. Considering it really hasn’t snowed & snow making temperatures have been stingy Rose has done a great job creating a strong, consistent, well maintained snow surface on the one open run.

Skied non stop from 9:00 till 12:30 & probably got close to 20 laps if that’s possible in 3.5 hours. Only waited once for a couple minutes when their chair experienced a short mechanical otherwise it was ski on all morning. Except for a few pebbles off the groomer in the bumps, I never hit a rock. I didn’t feel threatened by other riders although there were a few I wouldn’t want too close to me but maybe the feeling would be mutual ogwink .
IMG_8010.jpeg

IMG_8014.jpeg

IMG_8020.jpeg

Last edited:

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Afternoon at Keystone. Did drills for about an hour and a half. Firm man-made conditions.
A similar situation at Mt. Rose (Nevada)...yes, a good time for drills and working on early season goals of getting those good movement patterns back. Packed artificial snow keeps you honest.

What's that you have there, three lifts but basically one run, LOL?

Two days and counting.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The lift on the right in the diagram/map is the Gondola, which has a flat run out at the bottom, and you ride a gondola. The middle lift is a chair lift, so you can lap without taking your skis off. And the left lift is a separate base area with separate parking, so you can access things from that side.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A similar situation at Mt. Rose (Nevada)...yes, a good time for drills and working on early season goals of getting those good movement patterns back. Packed artificial snow keeps you honest.

Two days and counting.
The Scout lift and magic carpet at the top of the mountain were running as well. I think Keystone officially listed 7 runs open. The runs I skied over and over again were 6 of those 7 runs. The only open run I didn't ski was Ina's Way which is the easiest way to get to the River Run base area.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^ The mileage of runs open is pretty impressive actually. My jealousy is growing. :D
It's 3.5 miles and 2400 vertical feet from the top all the way to the bottom so definitely can get a few turns in on that run. Looks like a short blue, Silvermaster just opened as well so now 8 trails open.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The lift on the right in the diagram/map is the Gondola, which has a flat run out at the bottom, and you ride a gondola. The middle lift is a chair lift, so you can lap without taking your skis off. And the left lift is a separate base area with separate parking, so you can access things from that side.
Summit Express (HSQ next to the gondola) is also running so you can ride from River Run to the summit without having to take off your skis. River Run (blue run at the bottom of Dercum Mtn that gets you to the River Run base area) is a true blue and, apart from the 1st 90 minutes of the morning and when its snowing, almost always is very firm, skied off and slick. It is definitely not a flat run out. The flat run out is the last 150 yards just before and going across the bridge to get to the gondola after you get all the way to the bottom of River Run.

Sponsor

Staff online