• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2023-2024 Killington Resort/Conditions/Meetups

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
There’s a shop in Londonderry?

Yeah 1st Chair Sports. Sean and Karen used to have their shop at the base of magics access road. Now it's next to Jake's in the town center plaza where the grocery store is. They are awesome folks. They own the Blueberry picking farm off route 11 also.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
They didn’t get flooded?

No they had water to the door but it didn't come in. The whole shopping center fared OK. Clark's was open that weekend.

It's so wild how they were unscathed but half a mile down the road where jellys, mike and Tammy's and the Maple leaf diner were was just a disaster area. Mike and Tammy's and the diner finally reopened last week.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
You mean hike up the Killington peak and ski down somehow? Or another way?
Hiking up to the top is not advisable. Jumping into the woods of the top of Upper Ridge Run is the normal route.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Well did they fit? But more importantly how was the skiing?

They did fit and the skiing was pretty good. Not all wrod. Some hard pack, a bit of ice that was avoidable and a myriad of soft bumps all about. Skiers left was filled with soft bumps. I knew the issue going in would be crowds and that was defintely true. Lots of reckless speed demons out yesterday. A couple of them were actually dumb enough to post video they took, it went a bit viral, Killington got word and they got their passes pulled for it. Stoke was high and it was nice to see friends. Ran into @Guy in Shorts when he was coming back up and I was heading down the cat track. I also ran into a couple ski club friends of mine.

I took my Stockli Stormrider 83s out over my dynastar slaloms because the SR's are pretty light and I was thinking of the stairs and carrying them. They didn't dissapoint. I had them tuned by totem pole in ludlow and these things were amazing. Stockli just has this way to make a light ski that still digs in when it needs to and is very fun to ski.

I'd never done the catwalk before and it wasn't so bad. My next time at K will likely be when they are TTB.

Here's a few pictures.

1699153470290.png

1699153493389.png

1699153521489.png

1699153545735.png

1699153571406.png

1699153596045.png

1699153616617.png

Superstar getting ready for the world cup

1699153645362.png

Scored some primo parking
1699153702738.png

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nice getting out there.

The first year we went for world cup I bought parking in advance and ended up way way out. The next year, I didnt buy a pass and just waived at all the attendants and kept driving up to K1. I ended up with a front row spot.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any guesses on when top-to-bottom skiing will start? Otherwise, the wife will not commit to our trip next week! I can't say I blame her since it is a 7 hour drive for us to ski just 2 runs.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Killington kicks off the third week of early season with mild temps and lots of soft snow. Smallest Friday crowd of the year as Stowe, Sugarbush and Okemo opened for the season. Started calling our daily fun "Running with the bulls" as you need to accept the high traffic volume this time of the year. Top to bottom skiing should happen soon as cold weather returns Saturday.
View attachment IMG_3654.m4v
IMG_3657.jpg

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Killington kicks off the third week of early season with mild temps and lots of soft snow. Smallest Friday crowd of the year as Stowe, Sugarbush and Okemo opened for the season. Started calling our daily fun "Running with the bulls" as you need to accept the high traffic volume this time of the year. Top to bottom skiing should happen soon as cold weather returns Saturday.
View attachment 215935
View attachment 215937
Obviously we didn't make the trip so will have to wait now until mid-December. Crowds don't look too bad in those photos!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier

FYI​

SNOW REPORTER'S UPDATE​

November 23, 2023 - 06:00 am
Howdy Beast Fans. Thanks to our incredible mountain operations team, we are now open for top to bottom skiing and riding! We expect temps to hover around freezing today and we will have fog and cloudy skies, turning into partly cloudy skies as the day goes on. Lifts will open at 8 A.M. through Sunday, giving you more time to work off that Thankgsiving food baby.

Our grooming team went out again last night to regroom trails such as Rime and Upper East Fall, which was groomed for the first time and should be skiing great. The conditions have hardened up overnight into firm corduroy. Be aware that early season conditions may be variable. There is so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving, and we hope you are able to spend some of your day on the hill with us. Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

New this year, Superstar will remained closed to the public for one week following the Stifel Killington Cup for race training. More than 350 skiers from 23 different clubs, academies and universities will be at The Beast to take advantage of the course. This is a unique opportunity for these aspiring athletes to practice on World Cup-caliber terrain. After that, we'll resurface the course and open it to the public on December 8.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Happy Thanksgiving with Day 2 of top to bottom skiing. Our newest WROD is now a learn to ski slope as the growing number new skiers are learning to ski from the top of the mountain. Temps are dropping with the snow makers bringing the guns back on line. Early season is non stop people watching gold.

Horde of skiers resting after surviving the boilerplate on Chute
IMG_3671.jpg

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We take a pause from reporting on skiing conditions to post a picture of today's World Cup
Michaela Shiffrin made the podium with this incredible 2nd run
here is one of my favorite pictures that I got from the top row of the grandstand - 2L9A1083-Enhanced-NR.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We take a pause from reporting on skiing conditions to post a picture of today's World Cup
Michaela Shiffrin made the podium with this incredible 2nd run
here is one of my favorite pictures that I got from the top row of the grandstand - View attachment 216505
FYI @Wannabeskibum, I put your comment in a "Spoiler" button, so people don't see it if they don't want to. I know some folks are reading the site, but studiously avoiding spoilers on the race, waiting for the replay to be available online.

In general, we try not to post results outside of the WC race threads for this reason. Thanks.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
First real new snow day of the season with 7" of thick density base building cover. Great day to break out your favorite rock skis. A little natural snow and everything is perfect once again. Being able to ski right to my tailgate is the best.

Great cover on our Nats
IMG_3682.jpg IMG_3685.jpg

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
First real new snow day of the season with 7" of thick density base building cover. Great day to break out your favorite rock skis. A little natural snow and everything is perfect once again. Being able to ski right to my tailgate is the best.

Great cover on our Nats
View attachment 216767 View attachment 216768
Just make sure you set up some nice bumps for us on Ridge Run!

Sponsor

Staff online