• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest 2023-2024 Midwest Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
Mt. Brighton in Michigan will be opening up on Saturday, Dec. 2. Looks like only a couple lifts for now...

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I almost showed up a week early. Dec 6 is the refresher. That would have been awkward.

Right now looking at web cams, the smaller hills will almost have everything open by the weekend.

Granite Peak opens tomorrow.
really angling to get that first chair I see

Beach Bum

Getting on the lift
Skier
Feel bad for Bohemia, Porkies and any other resort that doesn't have much snowmaking. 14-day forecasts look really bleak for snow chances in the Midwest.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Feel bad for Bohemia, Porkies and any other resort that doesn't have much snowmaking. 14-day forecasts look really bleak for snow chances in the Midwest.

Yeah this could be a really bad year for Bohemia...

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Historically don't open before Christmas, so who knows. Gogebic area got 10" last week. Peninsula, 0" I think water temps still might be a little warm.

Beach Bum

Getting on the lift
Skier
Historically don't open before Christmas, so who knows. Gogebic area got 10" last week. Peninsula, 0" I think water temps still might be a little warm.

Yep Ironwood area needed it. Snowriver is cranking it's guns and looking great on camera. Still waiting for big powderhorn to start blowing snow.

I assume whitecap is in a tough spot. Porkies on camera got barely any snow last weekend when Snowriver got 12". Maybe Porkies being right on the water was still too warm.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowriver opens Sunday. I work with someone who's son makes snow at Snowriver. Took the Gogebic snow management courses.

I thought Whitecap got few newer snow machines, but don't know if they started yet.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
3" of heavy wet snow today. Going to be tough to guess next real snow in next two weeks.

20231203_080556.jpg 20231203_080603.jpg

Tom_H

Booting up
Skier
My yard is still green.... but Wild's done a decent job of getting some runs open, and we were out most of the day yesterday. It wasn't a great time to have a regional patrol toboggan clinic scraping the hills, but what can you do. Our patrol on-the-hill refresher next weekend won't do the hill any favors either, especially with the warm forecasts over here this week.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My yard is still green.... but Wild's done a decent job of getting some runs open, and we were out most of the day yesterday. It wasn't a great time to have a regional patrol toboggan clinic scraping the hills, but what can you do. Our patrol on-the-hill refresher next weekend won't do the hill any favors either, especially with the warm forecasts over here this week.
I'm glad we have been able to have on-hill refreshers when the hill is closed to the public. This Wed is the night and it makes it so easy to get everything done quickly and enjoy some runs with no crowds. :)

Tom_H

Booting up
Skier
I'm glad we have been able to have on-hill refreshers when the hill is closed to the public. This Wed is the night and it makes it so easy to get everything done quickly and enjoy some runs with no crowds. :)
Yea, as nice as that would be, that will never be a thing at Wild when their goal is to get open to the public as fast as possible every fall. When I used to patrol at Afton, we would just refresh in small groups anytime one of the evaluators was available (just had to get it done by 12/31). I preferred that approach versus trying to coordinate the entire patrol for a day or two. That being said, I much prefer patrolling at Wild and not being under the Vail resorts umbrella anymore.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Folks,

Asked this last year but my search skills in Skitalk are lacking:

Seeking recommended boot fitters in Wisconsin, ideally Milwaukee area

Beach Bum

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ugh. Terrible start to the ski season. Third year in a row.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Night one in the books. Pretty decent conditions. Now we need cold weather to make snow.
20231206_184506.jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ugh. Terrible start to the ski season. Third year in a row.
It's the midwest, just wait 10yrs and it'll sway towards better.

maybe we need to plan a late spring gathering at Wausau! Some goal or wish for a good year.

Beach Bum

Getting on the lift
Skier
Terry Swails blog post from this morning showing a forecast map depicting what could be the least amount of December 24 snow cover in the Midwest in history (as far as records go).

Fingers crossed that all changes and after 12/20 we go into a cold and stormy pattern.

Sponsor

Staff online