• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest 2023-2024 Midwest Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Right now we need cold. No low-level snow storms or rain. Cold plus low humidity creates great snow of the hills, otherwise it is just a mess and waste of resources.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Seven Oaks in Boone, Iowa does a really good job keeping a nice surface in marginal weather. This picture is from Dec. 8, 2023 (high of 50 today). Skied last weekend and it was excellent. Plan to go this weekend too, then probably head up to Minnesota.

It is pretty small, but how do you not have fun on corduroy like that!

1702064379636.png

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, most are closing down today and tomorrow, South of HWY 29. 54 degrees today and then rain all day tomorrow. Local place will open Sunday and should be nice. 2' base

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seven Oaks in Boone, Iowa does a really good job keeping a nice surface in marginal weather. This picture is from Dec. 8, 2023 (high of 50 today). Skied last weekend and it was excellent. Plan to go this weekend too, then probably head up to Minnesota.

It is pretty small, but how do you not have fun on corduroy like that!

View attachment 217799
oh dang,

you got me a bit excited and I pondered a 2hr road trip to give it a try. I have an Indy Pass and I think Boone was on it, but it's not.

may still consider trying if I have a dog TX out "west"

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
oh dang,

you got me a bit excited and I pondered a 2hr road trip to give it a try. I have an Indy Pass and I think Boone was on it, but it's not.

may still consider trying if I have a dog TX out "west"

Seven Oaks is way smaller than Chestnut, but what they lack in size they make up for with impeccable grooming. Chestnut is kind of an anomaly for the Midwest with their vertical and steep trails.

Imagine cutting Chestnut in half vertically and that would be Seven Oaks. But with that small size they make multiple passes with the groomers.

IMG_3952.jpeg

10.5inchesBY10.5inchesAT250dpi-SEVEN-OAKS-NEW-AD-Sept19,2023-SQUARE.jpeg

Dec 2, 2023 at Seven Oaks. The light was flat, but the grooming was fantastic.
IMG_5756.jpeg

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Happy Saturday. Time to get other projects worked on.

1702128207590.png

Beach Bum

Getting on the lift
Skier
Been up the UP of Michigan for many years in a row in early January and right now it's looking really bad. Not sure I can cancel but holy crap will more than like 5 runs even be open by then.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm seeing high's in the 40's in the twin cities metro through Christmas... Yikes....

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like it has been a good 42 hrs of snow-making at many places. Have until about noon tomorrow and the guns will go off for a while. Nordic will be open for real starting Friday.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Rest of month forecast is not for the light hearted.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah.....this is not looking good for much in the way of quality skiing this month. Northern LP might get 2 nights of snowmaking in between now and Christmas. Highs most days in the 40s.

Christmas week is going to be brutal with limited terrain, lousy bases/surface conditions, CROWDS, and no other winter activities for a distraction (XC skiing, snowmobiling, etc)

Beach Bum

Getting on the lift
Skier
Some early signs pointing to cold and winter to make its return right after XMas.

The holiday week is pretty much shot for anywhere in Midwest as terrain will be very limited, all fake snow, no other snow activities off hill yet to do. As someone above said.

But maybe the week after New Year's can be salvaged just need some storms to work their way in with the cold.

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Some early signs pointing to cold and winter to make its return right after XMas.

The holiday week is pretty much shot for anywhere in Midwest as terrain will be very limited, all fake snow, no other snow activities off hill yet to do. As someone above said.

But maybe the week after New Year's can be salvaged just need some storms to work their way in with the cold.

Halloween was bitterly cold here in the Midwest. I always hate that because then it usually warm up for November/December.

At least we have a lot of candy at our house because very few trick or treaters showed up.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like a good night to see a sunset.

1702505420146.png

And they haven't turned guns off since Sunday night. Open for good on Friday morning.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Chestnut just seconds ago -Thurs Dec 14 9:20 am

They're doing well and hopefully get the guns going in evening
Chestnut 12-14-2023 live cam.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online