• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2023-2024 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups Thread

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I find when I get there has a lot to do with who I am skiing with and how far a drive it is to the mtn. Slopeside condo's can turn type 3 fun into type 1 fun. If I am driving 2-3 hours for a day trip, I am a type 3 guy, although I am careful to never hurt myself. Its in my genes.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I find when I get there has a lot to do with who I am skiing with and how far a drive it is to the mtn. Slopeside condo's can turn type 3 fun into type 1 fun. If I am driving 2-3 hours for a day trip, I am a type 3 guy, although I am careful to never hurt myself. Its in my genes.
There have been days when we bailed at Killington after 2-3 runs when we saw our life flash before our eyes. Sitting in front of a fire was much better call.

We are heading up on Thursday for our first turns of the season. Superstar will be newly open!

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll concede that midweek, the Fun Type level probably increases more slowly throughout the day. But once the weekend brings more course scrapers without a course, the Fun Type accelerates quicker.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ll concede that midweek, the Fun Type level probably increases more slowly throughout the day. But once the weekend brings more course scrapers without a course, the Fun Type accelerates quicker.
Yep, you got me there. We will hit Superstar early in the day after warming up on Bittersweet and Skyelark, then it's often Type 1 fun. I love riding that lift early and watching the ex-racers show us how it's really done. On a fresh snow day (like today!) it's better a little later in the morning once some of the soft bumps start to form. I'm still not very comfortable on icy bumps.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And going back to how this conversation started, that’s why I try to get out early as generally the odds of Type 1 fun for me are better. Yesterday, that was definitely not the case at Stratton.

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Skier
After nearly 20 years away, and a bit of warm up skiing last year.
I have the "itch" to ski early season...
But I have the "shakes" about skiing too early as well.
Gore will be my choice but it also keeps posting "terrain for intermediate and expert only"!
I have received a lot of helpful advice and encouragement. Thank you!
I want to ski GREEN trails on my first day out.
But Gore seems determined to keep me off the trails.
Is there a way down from Gondola I can safely do?
Getting wrecked on my first day will be a huge set back to my confidence.
OR should I just stay home and keep monitoring Snow Conditions ?
Waiting for Sunway Chair to open?
Or even go to W Face (1 hour extra travel) and try Bear Den area? Falcon Flyer?
Right now I am leaning toward waiting out the opening of Sunway Chair lower area.
Cowards live to ski next week or maybe the week after that....

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't ski NY, so can't give you specifics on Gore, but if you want to ski green trails you should consider some small local mtn's if they are open. Their blacks are often similar to a Gore Green and they are probably a lot less expensive. Gore maybe fine for you now, but when more terrain is open its a surer bet as you are thinking.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure where exactly you are, but how about West Mtn, Royal Mtn or McCauley once they have green terrain open instead of Gore for a less stressful experience?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
After nearly 20 years away, and a bit of warm up skiing last year.
I have the "itch" to ski early season...
But I have the "shakes" about skiing too early as well.
Gore will be my choice but it also keeps posting "terrain for intermediate and expert only"!
I have received a lot of helpful advice and encouragement. Thank you!
I want to ski GREEN trails on my first day out.
But Gore seems determined to keep me off the trails.
Is there a way down from Gondola I can safely do?
Getting wrecked on my first day will be a huge set back to my confidence.
OR should I just stay home and keep monitoring Snow Conditions ?
Waiting for Sunway Chair to open?
Or even go to W Face (1 hour extra travel) and try Bear Den area? Falcon Flyer?
Right now I am leaning toward waiting out the opening of Sunway Chair lower area.
Cowards live to ski next week or maybe the week after that....

Not sure where exactly you are, but how about West Mtn, Royal Mtn or McCauley once they have green terrain open instead of Gore for a less stressful experience?

Paging @ADKmel

TS
I

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Waterville was amazing today. As in some of the best conditions I've seen there. Perfectly buffed and carveable groomers with some leftover cutup on the edges. All under a bluebird sky with no crowds whatsoever.

PXL_20231205_152348274.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Skier
West is closest but it will be awhile before they are open. They make great snow but then have the warm temps that undo it. ADKmel has been helpful. and encouraging. She knows I have a friend visiting the first 2 weeks of January and I do not want to embarrass myself... too badly. I saw Gore was making snow on Pete's Paradise so maybe they will be opening some lower green trails shortly. As of now I am planning on a Friday trip to Gore before a very warm weekend. West is a convenient 20 minutes away but the layout is tough for weak skiers. The entire mountain funnels into The Face. The old Face was wide. The new Face has shrunk... Racing on the left, additional lifts and lift poles up the middle, terrain park on the right. Even the old beginners area was replaced by a tubing park. Beginners area is now a quite a long way from the lodge. Fortunately now that I am long retired I can day ski before the demolition derby that comes with the afternoon and evening school groups. Then again that is exactly how my own kids learned to ski... One night a week at West and a Sunday 1/2 day at old Pico.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
West is closest but it will be awhile before they are open. They make great snow but then have the warm temps that undo it. ADKmel has been helpful. and encouraging. She knows I have a friend visiting the first 2 weeks of January and I do not want to embarrass myself... too badly. I saw Gore was making snow on Pete's Paradise so maybe they will be opening some lower green trails shortly. As of now I am planning on a Friday trip to Gore before a very warm weekend. West is a convenient 20 minutes away but the layout is tough for weak skiers. The entire mountain funnels into The Face. The old Face was wide. The new Face has shrunk... Racing on the left, additional lifts and lift poles up the middle, terrain park on the right. Even the old beginners area was replaced by a tubing park. Beginners area is now a quite a long way from the lodge. Fortunately now that I am long retired I can day ski before the demolition derby that comes with the afternoon and evening school groups. Then again that is exactly how my own kids learned to ski... One night a week at West and a Sunday 1/2 day at old Pico.
Hi. Today sunway was ok. It's quicksilver that's a D, lots of death cookies, last head wall a mess, they are blowing snow on lower sunway, then will be easier way down, maybe they'll groom it tonight and then Friday you'll have sunway all the way. I'd avoid the gondola the 2 runs back to the saddle they are nothing special.. hope the quad is running for you and Pete's opens.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sunday River has been doing some amazing work in the past 24 hours with the (very) favorable snowmaking conditions. Ecstasy went from just natural snow yesterday to huge whales today; likewise for some of the area around the base of Barker. It was a little funny to see an excavator doing what I assume was final touches on dirt work less than fifty yard from a fan gun with significant output, but I suspect that—assuming the forecast holds—things will be looking very good for the B6 opening Saturday.

PXL_20231206_140831470.jpg

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Skier
Hi. Today sunway was ok. It's quicksilver that's a D, lots of death cookies, last head wall a mess, they are blowing snow on lower sunway, then will be easier way down, maybe they'll groom it tonight and then Friday you'll have sunway all the way. I'd avoid the gondola the 2 runs back to the saddle they are nothing special.. hope the quad is running for you and Pete's opens.
Thank you for the update. Fingers crossed Gore considers Friday a trail run for opening Lower Sunway, etc.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thank you for the update. Fingers crossed Gore considers Friday a trail run for opening Lower Sunway, etc.
I didn't go yesterday.. it was so cold, dark and damp on Tues, I worked. It's cold this am 13 at my house so they should be blowing TONS of Snow
Royal is opening on Saturday- the slope will be open and it will be perfect corduroy- the upper mt will have the Royal and Queen open - Queen is blue and Royal is Black. Still blowing snow on the slope right now! https://www.ipcamlive.com/63cb127a0a4f9 https://www.royalmountain.com/

Sponsor

Staff online