• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2023-2024 PNW Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Timberline is opening today (Bruno's and Pucci lifts). I'm sidelined, so I won't be going up for probably a month or more....

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
White Pass was pretty fun today(for opening day). They ran two lifts. Only stuff open was ‘groomers’ but they had a fresh 10” or so on them. Good way to wake up the ski legs. Winds were cranking and refilling most of the day. Looks like they are closing up shop for a few days to allow this rain system to run its course.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Timberline is opening today (Bruno's and Pucci lifts). I'm sidelined, so I won't be going up for probably a month or more....
Never opened. Wind hold. However, bachelor spun a couple of chairs. It looked wet.

cloudofsparrows

Putting on skis
Skier
Made it to opening day at Crystal. Chinook and Discovery only. There was some nice new snow on top of the artificial made snow, and coverage was pretty good on the one run that was open. It wasn’t as crazy a WROD as I feared. I stopped around 12 and was out of parking lot at 12:25. There’s only so many times I can ski Tinkerbell.

View attachment 217129
View attachment 217130
Did you happen to notice if the magic carpet was open? I'm guessing not . . .

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t think the carpet was open, but I wasn’t really looking either. I know Discovery was running.

peepo

Booting up
Skier
magic carpet wasn't open today. the snow was still lower than the carpet and lower part of Discovery also had grass(hay?) poking out of the snow at some parts too

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Bachelor reopens Friday 12.08.23 with limited terrain. Lowering FL should help.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Sun Peaks opens the Sundance lift and 2 more runs tomorrow (Wed.), including the Sundance run beside the chair that is the first intermediate blue square run to open. The other run is Upper Homesteader, a double wide beginner cat track to the lower 5Mile beginner run.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Baker shooting for passholders day next Wednesday 12/13 and general opening the day after. They got 6" of rain on Monday, i.e. "base consolidation". Banking on cold temps and snow this weekend.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Sun Peaks opens the Sundance lift and 2 more runs tomorrow (Wed.), including the Sundance run beside the chair that is the first intermediate blue square run to open. The other run is Upper Homesteader, a double wide beginner cat track to the lower 5Mile beginner run.
@DanoT we are headed to Sun Peaks on the 16th, first day of skiing is the 17th, do you think that there is any chance that they will have Orient or Morrisey, what about Crystal? Just trying to figure out what we will be able to ski on this trip. Sounds like slim pickings right now :(

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@DanoT we are headed to Sun Peaks on the 16th, first day of skiing is the 17th, do you think that there is any chance that they will have Orient or Morrisey, what about Crystal? Just trying to figure out what we will be able to ski on this trip. Sounds like slim pickings right now :(
How long are you at Sun Peaks? I’ve got a camp this coming weekend, then back Dec 21-24.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
We are currently skiing on man made snow at Sun Peaks, so with no snow making on Morrisey or Orient Ridge it will take a few storms to get them open. I am heading to Victoria tomorrow and originally was not going to be back at Sun Peaks until Dec 20, but I have had a change of plans and may be back sooner.

dovski

Skier
We are currently skiing on man made snow at Sun Peaks, so with no snow making on Morrisey or Orient Ridge it will take a few storms to get them open. I am heading to Victoria tomorrow and originally was not going to be back at Sun Peaks until Dec 20, but I have had a change of plans and may be back sooner.
Well here is hoping they get a couple storm cycles in the next 10 days.

dovski

Skier
Snoqualmie is opening 12/9. We’ll see if Stevens follows suit.

https://summitatsnoqualmie.com/summit-source/2023-24-opening-weekend-announced

I’m impressed that Snoqualmie is managing to get West open before Stevens opened any chairs. This with a base elevation 1000 feet below Stevens and almost no snowmaking to speak of.
Not surprising given the terrain they have a West, flat grassy hills without many rocks, trees or bushes. As long as they mow the lawn they can open West with a 12-18 inch base, central requires more and Alpental typically needs a 4-5 foot base. You also have to remember that West is a pretty small and easily maintained area where they can easily mark any and all hazards, pretty sure that opening Stevens is more complex and also requires more snow.

Even_Stevens

Getting on the lift
Skier
I understand why West gets open before the other base areas, but my comment was in regards to Stevens, not the other Summit areas

Hogsback is always going to be harder than the other chairs out of the base area to get open because it rides above the MTB trails which require plenty of snow coverage to safely open the trails off that chair, but Brooks, Skyline and Bigger Chief don’t seem to pose any special issues with opening. Especially since Stevens is 1000 feet higher than Summit West at the base and gets more and higher quality snow than Summit.

Likely fact is that Boyne is just better at running ski resorts and stretching out the season at either end than Vail. Summit Central went out to the end of April last year while Stevens closed mid April.

dovski

Skier
I understand why West gets open before the other base areas, but my comment was in regards to Stevens, not the other Summit areas

Hogsback is always going to be harder than the other chairs out of the base area to get open because it rides above the MTB trails which require plenty of snow coverage to safely open the trails off that chair, but Brooks, Skyline and Bigger Chief don’t seem to pose any special issues with opening. Especially since Stevens is 1000 feet higher than Summit West at the base and gets more and higher quality snow than Summit.

Likely fact is that Boyne is just better at running ski resorts and stretching out the season at either end than Vail. Summit Central went out to the end of April last year while Stevens closed mid April.
Maybe I confused things by comparing West to the other Summit areas, but that logic holds true when comparing West to other hills as well. Right now West has a a solid 2-3 foot base, and they can open it with 12-18 inches, pretty sure that Stevens needs more snow and has more complexity than West. Stevens has a 26" base vs West ant 27", so we may be close to seeing something change with the snow this weekend.

Sponsor

Staff online