• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2023-2024 PNW Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Well got 1 in for the books. 2 runs, I know but lift lines are no bueno. Went inside chatted some old timers. Just good to be up in the mts. First day, first run and first fall. Stuck an inside tip into the backside of a soft bump in transition. Over the bars.....

Last edited:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whistler now has 41 open. Mostly green groomers but a few groomer blues are open now.

Even skiing to valley by mid December is starting to look questionable.

Aeolian

Booting up
Skier
I understand why West gets open before the other base areas, but my comment was in regards to Stevens, not the other Summit areas

Hogsback is always going to be harder than the other chairs out of the base area to get open because it rides above the MTB trails which require plenty of snow coverage to safely open the trails off that chair, but Brooks, Skyline and Bigger Chief don’t seem to pose any special issues with opening. Especially since Stevens is 1000 feet higher than Summit West at the base and gets more and higher quality snow than Summit.

Likely fact is that Boyne is just better at running ski resorts and stretching out the season at either end than Vail. Summit Central went out to the end of April last year while Stevens closed mid April.
Even without the MTB trail conversation, the Hogs/Daisy area has surprising challenges without meaningful base coverage. About a dozen years ago I skinned that area in early Nov with 1-2 feet of fresh but no settled base and it was terrifying skiing Rock-N-Blue down. Per some online comments from the ski area itself - Stevens really needs the creeks frozen with enough coverage/base to smooth it out enough that the little drop offs, slots, and marshy traps are not going to wreck a lot of people's ski seasons. If anything the tendency has been to open too early the past half decade or so. So for my .02, Stevens is doing the more responsible thing by waiting at the moment. Average coverage in Dec is not what it once was. And this year is below average...

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
How is Revelstoke looking right now?

Debating switching my 12/17-12/22 trip from Steamboat to Revelstoke.
On their website Revy is recommending downloading on the gondola. So it sounds like rain on the lower gondola terrain and snow but sketchy conditions on the upper gondola terrain. Still, the upper mountain Stoke and Ripper chairs might have some good early season skiing.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Skied 49*North yesterday. A clinic day. Only the Gold Hill chair (beginners chair) was open. It was the WROD. 1 run on 1 chair, and a lot of bare spots. They got about a foot on top last night, and were able to open from the top today.
Bottom line the whole Inland NW needs more snow.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
@DanoT sounds like Sun Peaks got some decent snow this weekend and is expecting even more this week. Spoke with someone there who said that they were close to opening Orient, but that Crystal needed a bunch of Avi work before they could open it. They also mentioned that more runs would be opening this week. So if all goes well this coming weekend will look much better int terms of skiable terrain and options at Sun Peaks. Fingers crossed a doing a snow dance as a type lol

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@DanoT sounds like Sun Peaks got some decent snow this weekend and is expecting even more this week. Spoke with someone there who said that they were close to opening Orient, but that Crystal needed a bunch of Avi work before they could open it. They also mentioned that more runs would be opening this week. So if all goes well this coming weekend will look much better int terms of skiable terrain and options at Sun Peaks. Fingers crossed a doing a snow dance as a type lol
I’m attending a camp at SP (day 3 tomorrow). I have to say, the snow has been really good, with 4” falling Saturday and overnight, and more snow during the day today. With a combination of snowmaking and new snowfall, they’ve opened up another run on Sundance, and we had a brushes course set up on the lower part of Chute (hiking up a bit from the top of Elevation and then cut through a trail in the trees to access the trail. The snow was excellent there and though it’s not officially open, it wasn’t roped off and nothing is keeping people from accessing it.

There’s a lot of camps at Sun Peaks right now, and even with all the skier traffic focused on a couple of main trails, it really is skiing pretty well, and the runs are so long that if there is a cluster of skiers, just wait and then you might have a long section of the run to yourself.

BTW, does anyone know why the run is called 5 Mile, instead of 8 Kilometer? :huh:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks goes thru Ski Patrol avi experts as a regular occurrence, mostly due to the lack of avy terrain. I don't think there has ever been a slide in the Crystal Bowl. Chute has slid and also there have been slides below the Burfield chair, right at the top the chair, just before off loading, but in reality there is not much work for the avy expert but it usually takes a month or two for the latest avy expert to realize it.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m attending a camp at SP (day 3 tomorrow). I have to say, the snow has been really good, with 4” falling Saturday and overnight, and more snow during the day today. With a combination of snowmaking and new snowfall, they’ve opened up another run on Sundance, and we had a brushes course set up on the lower part of Chute (hiking up a bit from the top of Elevation and then cut through a trail in the trees to access the trail. The snow was excellent there and though it’s not officially open, it wasn’t roped off and nothing is keeping people from accessing it.

There’s a lot of camps at Sun Peaks right now, and even with all the skier traffic focused on a couple of main trails, it really is skiing pretty well, and the runs are so long that if there is a cluster of skiers, just wait and then you might have a long section of the run to yourself.

BTW, does anyone know why it is called 5 Mile, instead of 8 Kilometer? :huh:
I left Sun Peaks last Wed, to attend to some business in Victoria, so you can thank me for the fresh snow while I have been absent.

Tod Mountain first opened in 1961, long before Canada adopted the metric system and it really is 5 Miles from the top of the Burfield Chair to the Burfield Base.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Even_Stevens Where did you find that Stevens is opening Brooks, Skyline, and Daisy tomorrow? I have been looking all over to see what lifts they will be running and there is nothing on the website. I am more than likely going up tomorrow for opening day and was hoping for Hogs being open.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple of pics from this morning at Sun Peaks..
View attachment 218097
Talk to any long time local at Sun Peaks and they will tell you that never mind all the development, the greatest thing that Nippon Cable did to improve the skiing when they bought Tod Mountain out of Receivership (pre bankruptcy) was to institute an on going summer grooming program, 30+ years ago. Every stump on the mountain has been pulled, rocks picked, grass planted. Weeds and small conifers are getting cut with some runs on a 3 year and some on a 5 year cutting rotation. The results can be seen in David Chaus' pics. Some of the runs where they have planted grass, in summer look like a vertical golf fairway.

A bad start to the season a few years ago resulted in a 18" compacted base, early season, and 100 runs open with very few rocks to deal with. With a warming climate, summer grooming at other resorts will soon be SOP, if it hasn't already started.

One other thing to consider is that early season (good or bad snow start) Sun Peaks can have a base that is 30-50cm thinner than other mountains but with equal or better coverage. The summer grooming program pays dividends every season.

Last edited:

dovski

Skier
Looking at the Sun Peaks Webcam this morning, they have three people working on setting up the Orient Chair for operations. They have been there all morning, so I have to imaging that the chair will be up and running at some point this week. Fingers crossed they are going through the same prep on Crystal and maybe Morrisey. Also hoping the get some more snow this week

1702326063915.png

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking at the Sun Peaks Webcam this morning, they have three people working on setting up the Orient Chair for operations. They have been there all morning, so I have to imaging that the chair will be up and running at some point this week. Fingers crossed they are going through the same prep on Crystal and maybe Morrisey. Also hoping the get some more snow this week

View attachment 218102
AFAIK, there is no snow making on Orient Ridge, so it will be natural snow, same for Morrisey. Early season my go to area of the mountain are the east facing, intermediate runs on Morrisey as they usually have the best coverage, best snow preservation, and least skier traffic.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
@Even_Stevens Where did you find that Stevens is opening Brooks, Skyline, and Daisy tomorrow? I have been looking all over to see what lifts they will be running and there is nothing on the website. I am more than likely going up tomorrow for opening day and was hoping for Hogs being open.
I'm not Even_Stevens but I saw it in the Seattle Times. It's not on Stevens's website that I can find, though.

dovski

Skier
AFAIK, there is no snow making on Orient Ridge, so it will be natural snow, same for Morrisey. Early season my go to area of the mountain are the east facing, intermediate runs on Morrisey as they usually have the best coverage, best snow preservation, and least skier traffic.
Completely agree with this. I did speak to Sun Peaks and they are trying to get Orient open, but granted there will be a limited number of runs off Orient that will be open. It also sounds like they are close to opening more runs off of Sundance and Sunburst. Hopefully with a little more natural snow coming in this week they will get there :)

Dislogical

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I’m also not Even_Stevens, but they posted it on their instagram story this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_3541.jpeg
    IMG_3541.jpeg
    957.1 KB · Views: 3

Sponsor

Staff online