• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2023-2024 Poconos and Greater Area Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
A couple years ago, over President's weekend, the line of cars for Camelback extended out to route 80. :rolleyes: You know, that road that leads to your Reno house. ogsmile

The line snakes ever on and on
West from the hill where it began.
How far behind the line has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a queueing new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn out of this lane we're in,
My homeward drive and tolls to meet

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Alright here's the tentative plan(s) for this season:

-I thought this ski season was going to be short for me, but I ended up taking paternity leave for 12 weeks this winter (likely more). Wife works 3 days/wk as a nurse so I'll have a little bit of time every week when she's off work.

Option 1:
-Getting one of the Ikon Passes.

-For local skiing I'm going to do Blue and Camelback. I'll likely max out the 5 or 7 days each.

-Longer day trips to Windham (err, "Windham Mountain Club.") It's a helluva hike from the Philly suburbs—on the very edge of daytrip-able, but feasible.

-Overnights at Sugarbush and Killington. I might do the Central Jersey Ski Club Lodge thing. Has anyone stayed there?

Option 2:
-A season pass at Blue. It's the safe option.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like it boils down to whether an overnight trip or two will work and how many days you can fit in. I’ve considered the Central Jersey Ski club also. Road the lift at Blue with a member a few years ago and he seemed to like their lodge. A guy I know travels up there a few times a month and has recommended Turn of the River Lodge as another cheap alternative. Haven’t tried it myself though.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would go Ikon. The Pocono and Blue Mt seasons are relatively short. 7 or 5 days at each Mt. If you go 1time a week. That’s almost a whole Pocono season. You go ikon you’ve got 2 more months of skiing up in NE or do a short western trip. Unless you think you lol do multiple days at Blue per week

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
I would go Ikon. The Pocono and Blue Mt seasons are relatively short. 7 or 5 days at each Mt. If you go 1time a week. That’s almost a whole Pocono season. You go ikon you’ve got 2 more months of skiing up in NE or do a short western trip. Unless you think you lol do multiple days at Blue per week
Let me just add. For Shawn as a new parent I would go for quality over quantity. Once the child goes on skis then stay local and quantity
Thanks, I'm probably going to take your advice.

IKON Base Pass ($929)
-5 days at Blue/ Camelback each for local skiing (10 days)
-Short overnight trips once a month in December, January, and February (and possibly March and April after paternity leave ends) (6-10 days)
-Occasional day trips to Windham (1-2 days)

Not a lot of skiing planned, but with my priority being at home, it makes a lot sense to go for quality over quantity.

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks, I'm probably going to take your advice.

Epic Base Pass ($929)
-5 days at Blue/ Camelback each for local skiing (10 days)
-Short overnight trips once a month in December, January, and February (and possibly March and April after paternity leave ends) (6-10 days)
-Occasional day trips to Windham (1-2 days)

Not a lot of skiing planned, but with my priority being at home, it makes a lot sense to go for quality over quantity.
Hope you mean Ikon. ogsmile

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was a member ofthe craigmuer ski club for a few years, they have a lodge in west rutland so a fairly short drive to killington, pico, and Okemo. If Central jersey is anything like that club, you will need to be a member unless you're a guest of a member, and weekends tended to get booked up weeks if not months in advance.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier

Possible plusses? ...Camelback could really be improved by installing a base to summit lift up the middle of the mountain and getting some of the terrain that's currently not used that much used. I'd do a little redesign too but its not my money. 1 perk to us, is my son can ski with me when he comes home (from Colorado lol) for Christmas without me having to get him tickets.

Your mouth to God's ears. I always loved escaping the automatons headed to the quads in droves by heading for the Marc Antony chair. That they haven't fired it up two years straight leaves hope some plan might hopefully be on the slab.

If I'd known CBK was going on Ikon, I wouldn't have snapped up a season pass the end of last season, and likely be looking at Big Sky or Sun Valley for our week out West (instead of, likely, Whitefish).

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alright here's the tentative plan(s) for this season:

-I thought this ski season was going to be short for me, but I ended up taking paternity leave for 12 weeks this winter (likely more). Wife works 3 days/wk as a nurse so I'll have a little bit of time every week when she's off work.

Option 1:
-Getting one of the Ikon Passes.

-For local skiing I'm going to do Blue and Camelback. I'll likely max out the 5 or 7 days each.

-Longer day trips to Windham (err, "Windham Mountain Club.") It's a helluva hike from the Philly suburbs—on the very edge of daytrip-able, but feasible.

-Overnights at Sugarbush and Killington. I might do the Central Jersey Ski Club Lodge thing. Has anyone stayed there?

Option 2:
-A season pass at Blue. It's the safe option.
I think it might depend on what your wife says. ogwink

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll stop by your shop tomorrow to discuss. I am usually there on weekends and can set you up and there is almost never a problem booking at CJSC.
Edited to say I just realized Jersey Skier was the one recommending the club, not asking about it so I won't stop by your shop;) I can set you up if you'd like to stay there Shawn.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I used to run up to Huntah and Windham for day trips a lot when I lived in Delco but that was before the traffic to to be where it is now.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-

I would be interested in car-pooling there for day trips, meet en route possibly somewhere around Rt 202 ... maybe get a few others involved in a south eastern PA/south Jersey SkiTalk storm chasing the Cat's gathering?

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Your mouth to God's ears. I always loved escaping the automatons headed to the quads in droves by heading for the Marc Antony chair. That they haven't fired it up two years straight leaves hope some plan might hopefully be on the slab.

If I'd known CBK was going on Ikon, I wouldn't have snapped up a season pass the end of last season, and likely be looking at Big Sky or Sun Valley for our week out West (instead of, likely, Whitefish).
They didn’t even have the chairs on the Marc lift last year. Don’t think it or Cleopatra triple will run again. They must have a plan but last year when Blue put up their new lift I was told Cbk was not budgeted for a new lift that summer. They did put up the new lift on Sun Bowl 2 or 3 seasons ago.

As far as Ikon, I do wonder if it’s in response to Windham probably departing in the next few years. Blue/CBK fills the void for the NYC market and adds the Philly market as well. This is probably my last season with a CBK season pass. But even if I’m still on the east coast the following season ikon could fit the bill. I do sympathize with you losing that travel tool (Ikon) but no one saw this coming so I don't blame you for getting the pass last season. Make sure to make use of First Tracks on weekends to get your monies worth.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I would be interested in car-pooling there for day trips, meet en route possibly somewhere around Rt 202 ... maybe get a few others involved in a south eastern PA/south Jersey SkiTalk storm chasing the Cat's gathering?
If you're storm chasing in the Cat's I'd choose Platty and Belleayre over Huntah and Windham.

Woods vs. No-woods.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Quote: "They didn’t even have the chairs on the Marc lift last year. Don’t think it or Cleopatra triple will run again. They must have a plan but last year when Blue put up their new lift I was told Cbk was not budgeted for a new lift that summer. They did put up the new lift on Sun Bowl 2 or 3 seasons ago."

Another reason I'm glad I'm not skiing CBK anymore. Those lifts were always a nice "safety valve" for when things got ridiculous on the quads (heck, I liked when they had the Raceway T-bar...nobody ever used that lift). Things started going downhill for me when they started charging for parking.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Don’t think it or Cleopatra triple will run again.
That lift is still there? OMG, it was old when I skied there. I recall they woudln't let someone ride it alone. I remember standing there at night waiting for someone to ski down to ride up with. Another time, my ski buddy and I had to take a single up with us, this was during a big snow year. About 1/4 the way up we were going over once of the trails that was real close, we jumped off leacing hte kid on the chair alone. I am sure when the guy at the top shack saw him and thought "WTF, who sent that kid up alone?" and made a call to the bottom.

Sponsor

Staff online