• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2023-2024 Poconos and Greater Area Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another reason I'm glad I'm not skiing CBK anymore. Those lifts were always a nice "safety valve" for when things got ridiculous on the quads (heck, I liked when they had the Raceway T-bar...nobody ever used that lift). Things started going downhill for me when they started charging for parking.
They haven't run them in several years. Lift lines weren't too bad when I skied last year (early weekends and weekdays). The new Black Bear 6 Bubble moves people quite effectively and Stevenson is the same as it always has been. I do believe they have plans to put something up the middle and up grade/replace both Raceway and Glen lifts. As a pass holder I have not had to pay for parking yet but I think its all payed now and I would expect Blue Mt to go that direction as well.

Do tell. Where are you eyeing non-East Coast? Retirement?
Colorado bound. Bought a place out there last year and looking so forward to spending my winters out there and exploring. Got a year and a half at the most before I bow out of the corporate world. Still planning on spending summers back here at the lake. Son is out in CO but daughter still lives here in NJ, thus the split time.

That lift is still there? OMG, it was old when I skied there. I recall they woudln't let someone ride it alone. I remember standing there at night waiting for someone to ski down to ride up with. Another time, my ski buddy and I had to take a single up with us, this was during a big snow year. About 1/4 the way up we were going over once of the trails that was real close, we jumped off leacing hte kid on the chair alone. I am sure when the guy at the top shack saw him and thought "WTF, who sent that kid up alone?" and made a call to the bottom.
Cleopatra chair is still standing with its Riblet tower array at the top.

050_50.JPG
I remember back to the time when it was workhorse of the mountain. Back when Sullivan was a double with the mid station.

IMG_2534.JPG
And the mountain looked like this.

IMG_2533.JPG

A lot of history and a lot of changes to the place. While there are many, many places that feature better skiing and better snow and mountains I feel fortunate to have had it in the "back yard" and have made so many good memories there. Camelback will always have a place in my heart.

Plus its got one of the best logo's in the industry.

IMG_0434.JPG

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have an Ikon too. If it dumped in the Cat's I'd gladly pay for a ticket to ski Platty rather than ski with the crowds at Windham on the same day. I'd save the Ikon for man made groomer days.
which is exactly what I will do in PA if ELK gets the goods too, I'll do Camelback if it's an I-95 storm tracking thru there with little to none for ELK. Blue, nice mid mountain lodge setup, OTT, thanks but no thanks. I won't willingly do man made groomer days at any of the three, and I definitely would not do the drive to the Cats for man made groomer days

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Me and @neonorchid heading up to the catskills

driving-in-snow-car.gif

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The last time I skied Camelback was also the first time I met anyone from the old Epic site. This is going back almost 25 years so I will try to remember some of the details and quite frankly I don't remember at all who was there. Prior to that I didn't ski at Camelback for at least 5 years and before that was the mid 80's. It was very well one of my most unfulfilling days I remember of skiing. whether it was actaully was, maybe not but my perception.

We were supposed to meet at 10 at the Trails End Lodge (or whatever it was then), I got there about an hour early and started lapping whatever lit it was that replaced the Sullivan chair, I litterly had 9-10 runs in that hour, 9-10 unfulfilled runs. Some were down Margies onto Sullivans Trail. Where remember Margies being top to bottom bumps, now it was flat. Where there was a turn at the bottom was straight onto Sullivans. Boring. Asp had some great turns, gone. Hump had some tree pockets, gone. All of the character of the mountain, gone.

I was so deflated from the moutnain that was my home for many years, that I skied with the Epic group for maybe another hour then I left. So, if you were there that day, it wasn't you but the mountain that didn't bring it's A-game.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
The beginning of the end for me was when they destroyed the Rhodendren Glen trail. Wooded, nobody ever went there so decent snow when everything else was scrapped off. You could lap it from the Raceway T-bar. Those were the days...

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
The ski area is 60 years old this coming season. It's gone through a lot of changes, expansions and ownerships. etc. The Camelback today is not the Camelback it was in 1963, 1974, 1985, (pick a year) even the early 2000's. Now being run by KSL it will change again. (one of the reasons I think you will see new lifts down the road at CBK) The Lodge/Aquatopia (Indoor water parks are the thing in the Pocono's theses days) seems to be a huge success and from the times I've been in it a very nice facility. Overall winter time recreation in the Pocono's is pretty healthy and the the skiing pretty major part of that. It's not just the ski area anymore its a full fledged resort.

Phil what happened to you is you missed the transition to "yo-yoing" that Camelback has gone through. In the days of the fixed lift Sullivan double, Baily or Marc Doubles it used to take up to 8+ minutes to top the ridge. Not so much Stevenson because that was a whole expansion, but when they put in Sullivan HS quad it changed the way the mountain skied. Yes you can get 10 runs an hour but if you do it the way we like to there are 15 separate T2B routes down the ridge between the 2 high speed lifts and you can go across the mountain not touching (or barely touching) the same terrain. Runs are generally non stop hence the "yo-yoing" It takes about 2 hours to do it when everything is open

Like I said the area has been under a few managements and they all had different styles but when our kids got into skiing and we started getting passes the management they had pretty much groomed everything. I always urged them to let some bumps exist to the point where they knew who I was. When Art took over they did kind of start seeding some bumps (and in response to Blue who was doing it) and when KSL came in they have been getting better at it. Camelback has some good steep pitches (the front 4 and Cliffhanger) Runs with some moguls to ski make the mountain ski just a little bit bigger. IMG_3318.JPG

Cliffhanger

IMG_2074.JPG

Rocket. They have also had then up on Uncle Bills off Big Pocono and they put up lower angle bumps on Rhodo and Lower Cleo.

One they've always done is blow good snow and in mighty Pocono's you better blow a lot because mother nature is very fickle. The trails were originally cut with the curves and zig zags of the picture I showed above. But they were not suitable for snow making and grooming so the trails have been modified and the new ones cut for maximum snow making and grooming. They keep the trails pretty deeply covered from January through March and they are pretty good about refreshing the mountain after "liquid snow" and the subsequent cold front that comes through and turns it into "Pocono Pavement" Camelback's got a great exposure and retains snow well.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Me and @neonorchid heading up to the catskills

driving-in-snow-car.gif
oh yeah, for sure! Applied physics is loads of fun!
Suppose I should tell you nobody in my family except the orthopedic surgeon cousin will get in a car with me behind the wheel, then again I'm about the only one who will get in a car with him behind the wheel ... perhaps we should extend an invite @Wendy and @Olesya C, let them do the driving???

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil what happened to you is you missed the transition to "yo-yoing" that Camelback has gone through. In the days of the fixed lift Sullivan double, Baily or Marc Doubles it used to take up to 8+ minutes to top the ridge. Not so much Stevenson because that was a whole expansion, but when they put in Sullivan HS quad it changed the way the mountain skied. Yes you can get 10 runs an hour but if you do it the way we like to there are 15 separate T2B routes down the ridge between the 2 high speed lifts and you can go across the mountain not touching (or barely touching) the same terrain. Runs are generally non stop hence the "yo-yoing" It takes about 2 hours to do it when everything is open
Alonng with my last day at Camelback, I still had two of my memorable days there. One was the first "All Night Ski" that they had. It was a warm Spring night and huge (or at least it seemed) bumps. We were skiing all over the mountain, the Raceway T-bar line, under the Bailey Chair and oh, we drank a ton. The other was a powder night and and again skied all areas that tended to be closed, the trees between Margies and Rocket. the lifelines, all on 195 cm Rossi ST Comps. They might not be top 10 nights any more but obviously they are lasting memories.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
The best day I ever had at Camelback? I posted this report over on Alpinezone back in February, 2014. Unfortunately no pictures, too busy skiing

Feb 15, 2014​

Someone must have been looking over me this weekend. Got up early Saturday and left NNJ at about 5:45 for the 45 minute trip up to Camelback. Son had to be there at 7:20 for a team meeting and the wife and I would take advantage of our season pass 1st tracks at 7:30. Started to hit some snow at about Allamuchy mountain on 80, was light but sticking but no problem for us as we arrived at the mountain at about 10 of 7. We went to the locker room to get ready to go. It starts snowing harder. By the time we came out to go there was a fresh 3/4 of an inch of fluff over fresh cord on the groomed trails.

The mountain got about 15 from Thursdays storm and some of that had been blown around into pockets (more on that later). What had been groomed into the base is just beautiful natural snow, add this nice fluff falling out of the sky and it was absolutely great. Started with a series of groomers (skipping Rocket at this time) working the mountain west to east. Surprise #1: went for Big Pocono to Uncle Bills Way. There is a drop at the junction of these 2 trails that we love to take. My wife went for it, not noticing the sign (she was above it) saying ungroomed. She deserves great credit as she handled it great and bounced to a stop about a 1/4 of the way down a little surprised but not shaken. This is how we discovered Uncle Bills was bumped up. Not only that but between the bumps was this beautiful fluff. Continued our trek across the mountain hitting everything on the way across including Cliffhanger which had a wonderful set of moguls down the right hand side.

Surprise # 2, about 9:30 it was starting to become obvious that this was not a typical holiday Saturday because while not empty the lines were remaining short. About 10 it really started coming down. Skied several things not on the map and there were tracks in the woods next to Cliffy and pockets of pow all over the place, the snow out pacing the traffic. Broke for lunch and watched the snow pile up, still no big crowd. Came out after lunch and went bumping on Lower Cleo and Uncle Bills with that beautiful soft snow in the troughs but it was Rocket that took the cake. The bumps up top were nice but just below the initial headwall on the skiers right were uncut pockets of knee deep powder. Slashed and dashed that all afternoon till 3 when I had to shut it down to do other things with the wife. They got an honest 8-10 during the day judging from my car that I had to brush off. Went for an après ski drink and spoke with many people who have been there a long time and never seen the mountain ski this well, and never expect to see it again. It was like the mountain had been transported out of PA. Stayed over at our friends condo so we didn't have to yo-yo to NNJ.

Got up early Sunday not expecting the same result crowd wise so went for 1st tracks. Everything groomed to perfection except the 3 1/2 bump runs (Cliffy wide enough for 1/2 bumps, 1/2 groomed). Everything skied great as we once again covered most of the mountain. Crowds were busier but sticking to a combination of Sullivan Quad (singles line) and Marc Antony Chair was able to go have fun on Rocket, Lower Cleo and my trail of the weekend Uncle Bills Way. Who ever made the decision to let that bump up deserves major kudo's. What a fun run, lapped it about 5 straight time in the afternoon. The lines getting into Camelback were insane. I heard that there were at least 2 (maybe 3) accidents on the access road and it may have actually been closed for a while. I feel sorry for those people but it may have saved my day.

This probably being my last year as a Pocono home skier, I'm getting quite the send off. Blue was great at the beginning of the month, Camelback great this weekend and I'm looking forward to Elk next weekend. Pass prices for next year were announced this weekend and I'm not sure its going to be in our plans. I will try to find the time to down load some pictures and post them of this last weekend. For the Pocono's it was epic.

Note: Of course it was not my last season there as I still get the pass every year up to this upcoming season

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This is mostly about Slide Mountain but Hunter features as well.

TLDR:
Hunter Mtn is *not* a temperate rainforest.
But not because of human fire clearing
(if you see oaks, it's been fire-cleared)
But not because of temperature highs.

Mostly because the glaciers got there first.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alonng with my last day at Camelback, I still had two of my memorable days there. One was the first "All Night Ski" that they had. It was a warm Spring night and huge (or at least it seemed) bumps. We were skiing all over the mountain, the Raceway T-bar line, under the Bailey Chair and oh, we drank a ton. The other was a powder night and and again skied all areas that tended to be closed, the trees between Margies and Rocket. the lifelines, all on 195 cm Rossi ST Comps. They might not be top 10 nights any more but obviously they are lasting memories.
Shawnee had the "All Night Skis" as well......fun times as a kid in the 80's......

I would guess that 90%+ of the time I skied in JH/HS in the 80's at Shawnee and Camelback was night skiing......

Last edited:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had one night ski like that. Snowed all day. I got there after work, they started shutting down lifts because a lot of the night shift lifties coudlnt get there. I mostly lapped Big Pocono because theer was easily knee deep snow with maybe 4 or 5 tracks besides my own. Judging by the divots, most people who went down struggled mightily and then stuck to the groomers.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
oh yeah, for sure! Applied physics is loads of fun!
Suppose I should tell you nobody in my family except the orthopedic surgeon cousin will get in a car with me behind the wheel, then again I'm about the only one who will get in a car with him behind the wheel ... perhaps we should extend an invite @Wendy and @Olesya C, let them do the driving???
I'd be happy to, but I'm no longer on the east coast. But I'm going to be following this thread to see how winter is for your guys this year.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd be happy to, but I'm no longer on the east coast. But I'm going to be following this thread to see how winter is for your guys this year.
I hope we get to see some reports out of Santa Fe Basin. I'm following you out west with in the next 2 seasons up in Colorado and a trip to New Mexico for skiing (and to see Santa Fe which is supposed to be cool) will be in the cards. El Nino usually benefits that area of the country so you may be in for a very good season

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope we get to see some reports out of Santa Fe Basin. I'm following you out west with in the next 2 seasons up in Colorado and a trip to New Mexico for skiing (and to see Santa Fe which is supposed to be cool) will be in the cards. El Nino usually benefits that area of the country so you may be in for a very good season
Santa Fe is definitely worth a visit - even, or especially, in the wintertime. Nobody should ski in New Mexico without taking in Santa Fe and the beautiful culture of the region.

Sponsor

Staff online