• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023/2024 Rustler 9 Review

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got my new Blizzi Rustler 9's a few months ago but there was so much deep snow at Mammoth that they had to stay on the back burner in favor of the Rustler 11s and the Nordica Enforcer Frees for most of the season. Finally, the snow stopped coming after a record year and I got to get on the Rustler 9's this weekend to put them through their paces. Conditions were, as you would expect, firmer morning groomers that quickly softened at lower elevations and then, spring corn and mush/moguls-mashed potatoes at higher elevations.

For context, I previously had the Enforcer 94s filling this slot in my quiver which is the narrowest spot in my quiver. I liked the E94's quite a bit, very precise and powerful BUT I was looking for something that was maybe slightly less powerful and a bit more playful and fun all over the mtn including moguls. The changes to the Rustler 9 were intriguing and received some strong early impressions from people who skied them. I prefer skis in the 185 to 191 range and so the 186 is a good fit for me for this slot in my quiver. I'm a 6/3" 195lbs and a strong skier and Mammoth is my home mountain. I prefer almost exclusively off-piste skiing but still like a ski that can carve nicely when its too firm off-piste.

Bottom line: I am impressed and really enjoyed this ski. I found the ski to be very stable in variable slush/chop and extremely predicable as snow quality changed from the top of the mountain to the bottom. On the second day, I really felt like I found the sweet spot and felt that I could drive them about has hard as I wanted without worrying about erratic tracking or unexpectedly getting pitched forward or back in highly variable snow. They felt much better in these conditions than what I remembered from old Rustler 9. I think the E94s are SLIGHTLY more powerful and likely would've just plowed over every slush pile in my way but R9 didn't give up much in terms in stability and I felt it was a significant upgrade in playfulness. They easily engage with subtle weight shift and a roll of the ankles and yet don't hook and grab erratically. They are super fun to pop off small bumps and side hits yet still have that Blizzard directional DNA that makes them pretty unflappable in weird snow. They carve very well on groomers for a ski of this width and they were extremely fun and easy to navigate through big slushy bumps. In fact, they were a big upgrade over the E94s in bumps. Much more forgiving and felt lighter and easier to get around even as the snow was trying to grab the skis b/c it was so wet. Obviously, I have not skied them in mid-winter conditions and certainly not in powder but that's not my main concern for these skis. These are my all mtn skis for the West and I'm really happy with my choice.

If you prioritize pure power in your skis then the E94's are still fantastic choice in this class of ski. If you want a really solid all-around that is more powerful than it used to be, than I'd look closely at the R9s. So fun in so many conditions and just easy to ski in some conditions that could be fairly challenging. Spring slush can really wear people out in years past has worn me out. The last run of the day yesterday was very grabby slush all the way to the bottom but I was feeling it and I just let them rip and they gave it back exactly as I wanted. I had a ton left in the tank but the conditions were starting to deteriorate so it was time to shut it down, but I ended on a massive high and think these skis are really darn good for where I ski and what I'm looking for.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
@locknload, glad to see you finally got out on your 2024 R9s! Also, great to hear the mogul performance I experienced with these skis in late winter/early spring translates to full spring conditions. Are your R11s also 2024s? I like the new R9s so much, I'm thinking about the R11s as my wider pow ski.

TS
locknload

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@locknload, glad to see you finally got out on your 2024 R9s! Also, great to hear the mogul performance I experienced with these skis in late winter/early spring translates to full spring conditions. Are your R11s also 2024s? I like the new R9s so much, I'm thinking about the R11s as my wider pow ski.
My R11's are NOT the 2024 version. From listening to Blister's interview with Blizzard's product manager, he said the R9s and R10s underwent the largest change from the last model to the 2024 model. I think the R11 is a phenomenal ski and I was on for two of three all-time days this winter and it was incredible. If this latest change made it even incrementally better, then I'm sure you wont' be disappointed and its hard for me to know exactly what would be better but I'd love to ride them in the right conditions to see if I could figure it out. Lol. If you like the Rustler 9 profile and know what you are getting with that line of skis...I don't think I'd hesitate. Honestly, the R9 and R11 could be a perfect two ski quiver in the West with a place that gets a decent amount of snow.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
IMO the new Rustlers (all three) plus your front side carver of choice could be a helluva 4 ski quiver. I was listening over the weekend to the Ski Monster owners and senior employees in their reviews of 2024 new models. They were all in agreement that the new Rustlers (each one) were in their top 5 new skis of the year.

TS
locknload

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMO the new Rustlers (all three) plus your front side carver of choice could be a helluva 4 ski quiver. I was listening over the weekend to the Ski Monster owners and senior employees in their reviews of 2024 new models. They were all in agreement that the new Rustlers (each one) were in their top 5 new skis of the year.
That would be a rad quiver!

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
I went and listened to that podcast. Some nice insight into how the Ski Monster tests skis, how important tunes are and they try to tune all their test skis the same for consistency. Also, they tested skis they aren't selling, like J-Skis and Peaks (seems like they are in agreement with a lot of folks that the Peak 104s are best of the bunch). I like how they had been pretty consistent in what they'd liked over the past few years rather than chasing the new hotness. I found them to be a good resource when I was looking at the Ripstick 96 BE, which was in almost every Ski Monster tester's top 5 in the past few years.

As for their thoughts the 24 Rustlers, I got the sense that they either liked the R9 or R10 in a quiver for that 96-104 range since the R9 is now 96mm underfoot. Their discussion about the Rustlers vs Rangers was also interesting. It sounds like they were keeping their top fives pretty much the same from last year, except one of the 24 Rustler skis was booting something else out. Given their love for the Ripstick 96 BE and the Armada Declivity 92ti, I suspect it may be a Ranger or something else. ). Look forward to reading their reviews/top fives since the 24 Rustler 9s pushed my Ripstick 96 BEs out of my quiver based on stability in rougher/variable conditions.

Last edited:

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I went and listened to that podcast. Some nice insight into how the Ski Monster tests skis, how important tunes are and they try to tune all their test skis the same for consistency. Also, they tested skis they aren't selling, like J-Skis and Peaks (seems like they are in agreement with a lot of folks that the Peak 104s are best of the bunch). I like how they had been pretty consistent in what they'd liked over the past few years rather than chasing the new hotness. I found them to be a good resource when I was looking at the Ripstick 96 BE, which was in almost every Ski Monster tester's top 5 in the past few years.

As for their thoughts the 24 Rustlers, I got the sense that they either liked the R9 or R10 in a quiver for that 96-104 range since the R9 is now 96mm underfoot. Their discussion about the Rustlers vs Rangers was also interesting. It sounds like they were keeping their top fives pretty much the same from last year, except one of the 24 Rustler skis was booting something else out. Given their love for the Ripstick 96 BE and the Armada Declivity 92ti, I suspect it may be a Ranger or something else. ). Look forward to reading their reviews/top fives since the 24 Rustler 9s pushed my Ripstick 96 BEs out of my quiver based on stability in rougher/variable conditions.
For reference, I'm 5'8" 150 upper inter. ski 20 days a year. I have both the older(2020?) BE ripstick and 2022 Ardada Reliance(same as Declivity) 92ti.

I think I might know what "dampness" is now because the Armada definitely feel "damp" compared to the "lively" ripstick. I've skied both about 8 days each and still not sure which one I like better. I'll need more days on each still but I think If i stick to mainly groomed(definitely, my preference) runs then it's the Armada.

I also have the older Blizzard Bushwacker in 88. I know this width is narrower but these are/were still my all time all around ski. I try Never to ski powder

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
It will be interesting to see where the Rustlers ultimately end up in their Top 5 discussion. It sure seemed to me that, at least, the R9 and R10 would be in the mix for their top 5.
The one thing that came to mind for me based on their discussions was that they tested skis that they can't sell - namely Peak skis. While I find that admirable on their part, I wonder if they have ever tested the Renoun line?

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
The '24 R9 tops my list to try next season, Heck, more than tempted to get them before.
1685763022893.gif

• Haha
Reactions: JCF

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
Meadows finally had a demo day this year. I really liked alot of the new stuff. But of all the skis I tried, the R9 was my favorite. It will probably be in my quiver next season.
Demo‘d that day at Meadows also. I tried the Rustler 9, Mindbender 89ti, Line Optic 96 and Enforcer 94. It was kind of crunchy, carvable hard pack that day. I think there is a real difference in feel between the single layer titanal skis (R9, MB 89ti, Optic 96) and two layer titanal (Enforcer 94). Once the corduroy was eaten up I liked the Rustler 9 the best of the single layer titanal for stability, but it was still no match for the Enforcer 94, which was just solid. For overall versatility I am going go with the Rustler 9 next year.

TS
locknload

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Demo‘d that day at Meadows also. I tried the Rustler 9, Mindbender 89ti, Line Optic 96 and Enforcer 94. It was kind of crunchy, carvable hard pack that day. I think there is a real difference in feel between the single layer titanal skis (R9, MB 89ti, Optic 96) and two layer titanal (Enforcer 94). Once the corduroy was eaten up I liked the Rustler 9 the best of the single layer titanal for stability, but it was still no match for the Enforcer 94, which was just solid. For overall versatility I am going go with the Rustler 9 next year.
I agree with this. Having owned the E 94...it is a beast and unflappable. I don't think there are many skis in this class that are as powerful. That said, what the R9 gives up in power to the E94, it more than makes up for it in its playful and versatile nature and still feeling plenty solid underfoot. I actually love both skis, but given where I ski and the personality of the ski I am looking for right now in this spot in my quiver, the R9 is on point. Obviously, we all have different preferences so YMMV.

Reactions: JCF

Ryan Perham

Putting on skis
Skier

How did the Optic 96 compare to the Rustler 9? I tried the new Rustler 9 but didn't get a chance to try the Optic 96.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What did you think of the MB 89's? Just bought a pair of Mindbender 89ti's for $349. I wanted something a bit easier and quicker than my Brahma's. At that price, I just went with the reviews. I hope I like them.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
What did you think of the MB 89's? Just bought a pair of Mindbender 89ti's for $349. I wanted something a bit easier and quicker than my Brahma's. At that price, I just went with the reviews. I hope I like them.
They only had the women’s MB 89 in one length down from what I usually ski and I really felt the size difference. That said, from the few runs I did on them I think they will be easier and quicker than the Brahma’s. The tuned single layer Ti skis have a different feel than the more traditional 2 layer Ti skis like the Brahma and Enforcer. I’m a Blister member and my current ski in the quiver is an MB 90ti. When I did a gear recommendation looking for a more forward mounted 90-ish ski (ie, Rustler 9, Optic 96) Blister recommended that I still check out the MB 89ti. If you liked what you’ve read in the reviews I think you will be good.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
How did the Optic 96 compare to the Rustler 9? I tried the new Rustler 9 but didn't get a chance to try the Optic 96.
What stood out for me for the Rustler 9 was how easy it was for me to bend the tip into a nice round turn. I really liked that feeling. The Ski Essentials review talks about how the ski is torsionally stiff but softer longitudinally and I think that’s what I am experiencing. I didn’t experience that with the Optic 96. In terms of tail release they were both pretty easy to slash. I’m coming from a more traditionally mounted MB 90ti (-10ish) and am looking for a more forward mounted ski. The Rustler 9 is at -8 and I really didn’t need any adjustment to how I ski it. The Optic 96 is mounted at -7 and it was just enough forward that I had to take some time to adjust how I ski it. Not a big deal, but that hinders the evaluation on a demo day when you’re asked to take no more than a few runs and return it. Also have to admit to confirmation bias here. I wanted to like the Rustler 9 better and surprise I did.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ski Monster's 2024 picks are out.... looks like the new Rustlers (and Sheevas) are well represented, and several had both the 9s and 10s in their top five:

Last edited:

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
Repost from different thread:

I have 3 days on the Rustler 9 now. Had them in 4” of unconsolidated cascade concrete yesterday and they performed really well. Easy to pivot and slide and patient down-weighting provided nice stability through the heavy snow. One of the reasons I went with the Rustlers was that I wanted to try a ski with a more forward mountpoint to allow for a more upright stance. I am usually on directional skis in the -10 mountpoint range and the R9 at -8 is not be too drastic a change. However at least right now I am finding that the R9 likes a more forward stance. Be interested in other folks impressions.

TS
locknload

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Coming back to this review as my days on this ski start to add up. 3 days on the ski at Mammoth this past week. Conditions were 10" of fresh, crud, soft groomers and soft bumps. All I can say is that this ski flat out rips....at least for what I like. It really is a great all mtn ski. It has a fair amount of float BUT if it was a really deep day I'd grab my R11's or something else wider. However if it's a foot of fresh or less..this is the ski to grab. It was excellent in chopped up crud....point and shoot in the bumps and such a blast on the groomers. It has a ton of energy and I find it VERY quick for a ski of this width and I ski it the 186 CM length.

I compare it to my Enforcer 104 Free which is also a fun ski, however, the R9 is so much quicker and more energetic. The Enforcer series features the 2 sheets of metal which makes it a great crud-buster but the R9 was great in soft crud...I'm sure it won't be as good as the E104 in heavy crud. In every other condition, I likely prefer the R9. I pushed it pretty hard and really let it rip in certain spots (safely of course) and it is so predictable and just wants to run. Super good in soft bumps too which is a huge bonus for me. With a slightly upturned tail it will allow you to release and smear a turn but the Blizzard pedigree means it will carve very precise turns if you direct it to. I couldn't be more excited about this ski. This will be the ski that I get the most days on this year with Mammoth as my mtn and trips to Tahoe (national gathering) and likely UT and Colorado. It does so many things well that it's a no brainer to grab this off the rack.