• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023/2024 Rustler 9 Review

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Spent 3 days last weekend in Park City on the Rustler 9s. Having a narrow pair of front side skis in the morning, would’ve been fun on the firm groomers. However, they did just fine, feeling plenty stable at 45mph. They were a blast off piste in some leftovers and in the trees, as well as the bumps and damp enough to plow through some refrozen cut up stuff. Love these skis as daily driver.

I FINALLY got to ski my 180cm Rustler 9s in (Tahoe) pow this past weekend (the only condition I'd yet to ski them in). Northstar had reported 6" inches in 24hrs after the prior day's 15" of pow got skied out. So, I was expecting dust on groomers and brought my Rustlers out instead of my Moment Countachs that I skied the day before. It turned out there was about 8-12" on the Backside, and was pleasantly surprised by how well they handled both the untracked, tracked and soft chop. I'm not sure the float would have been there in CO/UT champagne pow, but I would not hesitate to ski them in Tahoe in 8" or less. Now, I'm having second thoughts on not getting the Rustler 11s in 186cm for deep days, but am going to give the Countachs a run for a full season as they did ski nice.

Last edited:

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
So I finally got to demo the Rustler 9 in a 168 and 174 at Snowmass on a powder day. The 168 felt a little insubstantial and squirrely. The 174 was a lot of fun, especilaly in fresh pow, but definitely got pushed around a bit in the chopped up snow later in the day. Every mound of snow felt like a jolt, as they do get pushed around a bit. The 174 was defintely the winner on soft groomers, but both kind of sucked on really firm groomers before the snow began to fall.

With that in mind I continued my quest for the perfect 90-something do it all western ski. I demoed the Volkl Mantra M6 (170), the K2 Mindbender 99ti (172), and the Nordica Enforcer 94 (172). Hated the Mindbender, it just felt dead and heavy. No energy in that ski. Loved the Mantra but it also felt a little heavy and required a little too much input for this 57 year old. Which brings me to the winner, the Enforcer 94. Funny thing is I was looking for a big brother to my Enforcer 88s, which I adore, so I guess that's where I should have started. The 94 has nearly all of the groomer/carving performance of the 88 but defintely adds a lot of crud busting and soft snow capability. It just felt so right and intuituve to me. I must be an Enforcer kind of skier. Only question is whether to get the outgoing 23/24 or the incoming 24/25. (If you're thinking 88 and 94 are awfully close, that doesn't bother me as long as they feel different enough to me. I have never gotten along with anything over 96, maybe due to my light weight.)

Looking forward to reviews of the new Enforcers. (Sorry to redirect the Rustler 9 thread!)