• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2023-2024 Steamboat Resort/Conditions/Meetups

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
New job some but more my dad is battling stage IV lung cancer. He's doing pretty well right now but it's hard to say what the next months look like.
Hoping you can still get some time for yourself during a challenging time for him

Vampire Cat

Booting up
Skier
I made it out for the opener. What a difference a year makes! I skied there one day last season about this time (maybe a week later) and there was much better coverage.

It felt like a late spring day, but with everyone crowded onto one lift, which kept stopping due to people generally forgetting how to load and unload. It was nice to have some skis under me regardless, and esp. on such a nice day I never put on a jacket or gloves.

I don't think I'll bother going back until some more terrain and lifts open up, which hopefully isn't too far off, but probably at least a couple of weeks judging by the forecast.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Steamboat Snow Report 12-3-2023.jpg

gratedwasabi

Getting on the lift
Skier
Trying to decide between Steamboat and Snowmass for 12/17-12/21. Seems kind of like a dice roll, any thoughts? Haven't been to either, probably going to stick to blues and easier blacks given limited snow coverage/getting skis back under me.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Are you flying or driving? If driving, I would wait until a couple of days before to decide. I highly doubt finding lodging for those dates on short notice will be an issue.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
I’m considering a short family trip at the end of March. I haven’t been to Steamboat in 12 years. conditions normally ok March 28th or so? Fairly low and warm I know.

We stayed at Torian Plum back then. Any recommendations for us? No car. Flying to Hayden.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with @Pat AKA mustski , last season it would have been fine given record snow. I even pondered mid April just for the warm weather.

Typically season closure is second Sunday in April, their calendar shows April 14th.

Calendar also shows a Bud free concert weekend the 28th as FYI. Been there 5 years ago in early March and it was a good time with the "warmer" weather and much longer daylight

I'd call it a toss up but weather should be sufficient that the top is open. Steamboat does have the Blue Wild Blue open now so it should be easier to get top side to the Sunshine side. This avoids what isn't an atypical statement at that time that the base is patchy and Ski-in/Ski-out is reduced for certain properties.

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m considering a short family trip at the end of March. I haven’t been to Steamboat in 12 years. conditions normally ok March 28th or so? Fairly low and warm I know.

We stayed at Torian Plum back then. Any recommendations for us? No car. Flying to Hayden.
In terms of lodging, etc, much depends on your posse, their size and age.

youngens are great closer but Steamboat has a great transportation set up. One reason we loved it so much. We've stayed off base and depending on the management of the condo .. could catch their small bus to the base with a call or in am/pm high times, just go out and catch their loop running busses. City has busses that run nice routes too.

Then, do you eat in condo or out? Downtown visits or not? The base is growing again but I feel it doesn't have the variety or town feel it did years ago, though in Warner Circle there are more places as time progresses.

We personally do most meals in condo .. cook a big meal, wine, catch a streaming movie or play games after hanging at the hot tub and pool for a good amount of time. So it really depends on your plans.

Reactions: ejj

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
In terms of lodging, etc, much depends on your posse, their size and age.

youngens are great closer but Steamboat has a great transportation set up. One reason we loved it so much. We've stayed off base and depending on the management of the condo .. could catch their small bus to the base with a call or in am/pm high times, just go out and catch their loop running busses. City has busses that run nice routes too.

Then, do you eat in condo or out? Downtown visits or not? The base is growing again but I feel it doesn't have the variety or town feel it did years ago, though in Warner Circle there are more places as time progresses.

We personally do most meals in condo .. cook a big meal, wine, catch a streaming movie or play games after hanging at the hot tub and pool for a good amount of time. So it really depends on your plans.
Sorry--I should have been more clear.

I have two teens that race USSA. So no issues getting around. At our previous time we stayed at the mountain but really liked the dining in town.

Vampire Cat

Booting up
Skier
They opened sundown and sunshine areas today. Some great leftover powder was available, but coverage is still suboptimal. Caught a rock myself and barely recovered.

Will be interesting to see the wild blue upper section open Friday.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a cross thread to the Wild Blue opening:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry--I should have been more clear.

I have two teens that race USSA. So no issues getting around. At our previous time we stayed at the mountain but really liked the dining in town.
ah, if teens then your options open up. I haven't any great recommendations other than for myself and family, we opt for condos with Pools. Most have their own management companies shuttles so that's another consideration.

We've never really stayed too far off mountain but in all, they had their own shuttle and many were on a city bus route which ran by every 30 min or so. Steamboat really is pretty decent to get around in, and I've done a walk quite often as the base is around 6500 (I think) so far less taxing then when hitting Winter Park and hauling stuff.

Some years ago we did the Phoenix, I only note that as we could cut through the Ptarmigan houses parking lot to "ski in" and the walk back was minimal .. and they had (would think still) a Saltwater pool and Hot Tubs, really easy on the eyes and skin.

Ptarmigan House was nice too, closer, and at the time we used them, they had a deal with the Ptarmigan Inn for pool use. One had to walk the parking lot but they also had robes which was nice.

EDIT: Ptarmigan Inn now the GRAVITY HAUS, so the two may not have an agreement for pool any longer.

That side of the mountain had fewer eat spots but we cook in mostly.

Torian Plum has a pool, as you would know. More pricey than a lot of other places but it's definately hill side.

I'll note too, The Snowflower is super close to the main gondola, around a 200 yrds with 3/4 on heated walk/drives ways. Has a pool, hottub. It's our more regular stay at spot these days simply for location.

Last edited:
Reactions: ejj

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
we have stayed at storm meadows for years. Club A. It is kind of ski out a narrow twisty trail but pretty easy and a ski up. maybe a 30 ft hike at the end. they do have a salt water pool and spa on property.

Last edited:

Skiandride

Booting up
Skier

Late March can be dicey at steamboat. If it’s not snowing or hasn’t snowed in a bit it will be warm an meltdown happening fast. Low altitude and western exposure is great for beer drinking and suntans but snowpack disappears fast without monster storms.

Sponsor

Staff online