• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2023-2024 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Spent more time at the bar with @Philpug @Tricia and @Mendieta than on the snow today :roflmao:So it was a great day after all.

Happy Thanksgiving!

View attachment 216383

View attachment 216380

View attachment 216381

Great salad for an early lunch, haha
View attachment 216382
The handfull of runs we took were fine but by the last time we went down I was done with the lack of visibility. I was willing to go back out if it cleared after the bloody mary but...alas, no

Great to see @Mendieta again to catch up. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of him this season.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
The handfull of runs we took were fine but by the last time we went down I was done with the lack of visibility. I was willing to go back out if it cleared after the bloody mary but...alas, no

Great to see @Mendieta again to catch up. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of him this season.

Same here - I mostly lapped the bumps on the right hand side of KC (mostly on the rocky side, as in the picture above ) -- the rocks at least gave some contrast , same with the shrubs. And some obstacles since there wasn't much to do! All of that with the factions CT 1.0 which were perfect for the conditions (for a change).

Then I decided to try the e-Originals that @textrovert passed on to me (thank you buddy), and after one lap where I confirmed that these are not the tool of choice for crud during a whiteout ... next lap there is a kid crying non-stop, with his mom, at the top of KC. He was basically in a panic attack and couldn't stop crying and throwing his arms around. We tried to guide him to wedge his way down but he just couldn't do it. So we agreed that mom would handle my poles, and I would pick up the kid and take him down in my arms.

Now, the kid is 8 and _really_ heavy. Tall, big. I could barely pick him up, so the descent with him in my arms was ... interesting. We had to stop every 20 yards or so because I couldn't hold him anymore. Anyways, by the time we were almost down, the last few turns he was singing a song, then I joined him with the singing, quite the experience. He left the place happy, and skiing back to the lodge. That was the whole point, and it made my day (and killed my legs). Way to start the season,"rescuing" a kid on 66mm 12m skis :roflmao:

Took the kiddie chair (Wizard) to ski back to the upper parking lot, with one pair of skis on my shoulder, and Oh, the memories, when the kids and I were starting to ski and that was our lift. just a few years ago!

:hug:

1700809855609.png

I stopped at a bar at Kings Beach for a much needed refuel, and kept coming back to the Bay.

1700809696523.png

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Same here - I mostly lapped the bumps on the right hand side of KC (mostly on the rocky side, as in the picture above ) -- the rocks at least gave some contrast , same with the shrubs. And some obstacles since there wasn't much to do! All of that with the factions CT 1.0 which were perfect for the conditions (for a change).

Then I decided to try the e-Originals that @textrovert passed on to me (thank you buddy), and after one lap where I confirmed that these are not the tool of choice for crud during a whiteout ... next lap there is a kid crying non-stop, with his mom, at the top of KC. He was basically in a panic attack and couldn't stop crying and throwing his arms around. We tried to guide him to wedge his way down but he just couldn't do it. So we agreed that mom would handle my poles, and I would pick up the kid and take him down in my arms.

Now, the kid is 8 and _really_ heavy. Tall, big. I could barely pick him up, so the descent with him in my arms was ... interesting. We had to stop every 20 yards or so because I couldn't hold him anymore. Anyways, by the time we were almost down, the last few turns he was singing a song, then I joined him with the singing, quite the experience. He left the place happy, and skiing back to the lodge. That was the whole point, and it made my day (and killed my legs). Way to start the season,"rescuing" a kid on 66mm 12m skis :roflmao:

Took the kiddie chair (Wizard) to ski back to the upper parking lot, with one pair of skis on my shoulder, and Oh, the memories, when the kids and I were starting to ski and that was our lift. just a few years ago!

:hug:

View attachment 216403

I stopped at a bar at Kings Beach for a much needed refuel, and kept coming back to the Bay.

View attachment 216401
It was great to catch up with you.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, I was pretty worn out, so only made it to Rose for the afternoon. Good times! Not so many rolling rocks in the moguls by now, fun size. As I was pulling in, I noticed people parked along the highway. Wow, must have been mobbed in the morning. Saw big lines for both lifts from the lodge, but they had mostly dissipated by the time I got out on the hill.

But what a shit show! Lots of beginners flailing down KC Bowl, no business being there. It was an artificial surface, and you know how that gets, compacted, pretty firm, slick and scraped off. Patrol was giving sled rides to people who couldn't make it down. Others were just sliding down on their butts, LOL.

They were blowing snow all day. Working hard on the first slope down from Northwest Chair, so they can get that open.

I'm going to try very, very hard to make it early to Alpine Meadows for the opening of Treeline Cirque tomorrow. Prolly be lots of instructors there getting first turns of the season.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going to try very, very hard to make it early to Alpine Meadows for the opening of Treeline Cirque tomorrow. Prolly be lots of instructors there getting first turns of the season.
Good luck, let us know how it goes. I’m sitting this one out to go cut a tree or two.

Glad I got in my last MTB ride of the season on Wednesday when it was still sunny and warm. Now it’s cold and dry, let the snowmaking do its thing since Mother Nature isn’t helping.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Treeline Cirque--started the day a WROD, but a pretty good one. In the morning, I was thinking, it's a little busy, but all these people can ski, it's working out all right. Then the novices started showing up. And the steep, narrow final drop got scraped off and a little bumped out. A pinball game. And sadly, two skiers with broken legs by 12:30.

Fun to be had, but be careful out there.

IMG_20231125_091812758.jpg
Roundhouse has a ways to go.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How have the crowds been on the weekends? thinking about going up to Rose this Sunday
I was there on Saturday from 9:30am - 11:30am and it was mostly straight to chair.
Expanding terrain with Lone Tree as a way down will thin out the crowding on the slopes.

I was surprised to see so many on the live cam today though... maybe folks have/took Monday off?

Sponsor

Staff online