• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2023-2024 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Contrary to what you can perceive from this thread, Mt. Rose is not the only resort open in Tahoe right now. Palisades Tahoe is also spinning (technically even across both bases...not really :cool: . My season opener was at Alpine (first time in many years) this Sat and Sun after they opened Treeline Cirque. I just could not get myself to shred Papoose on Wed-Fri... I was pleasantly surprised how good that WROD was, felt a lot wider than the usual Red Dog WROD. It was fairly crowded on Saturday, but Sunday was fairly light and still nice man-made snow that got progressively icier as they day went along. Was nice to feel my ski legs and see some old friends.

Hopefully more snow is coming, but I doubt it because I changed oil in my snowblower, so that surely jinxed it.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Contrary to what you can perceive from this thread, Mt. Rose is not the only resort open in Tahoe right now. Palisades Tahoe is also spinning (technically even across both bases...not really :cool: . My season opener was at Alpine (first time in many years) this Sat and Sun after they opened Treeline Cirque. I just could not get myself to shred Papoose on Wed-Fri... I was pleasantly surprised how good that WROD was, felt a lot wider than the usual Red Dog WROD. It was fairly crowded on Saturday, but Sunday was fairly light and still nice man-made snow that got progressively icier as they day went along. Was nice to feel my ski legs and see some old friends.

Hopefully more snow is coming, but I doubt it because I changed oil in my snowblower, so that surely jinxed it.
Was considering going to Alpine, but after spending a few days at Mammoth, I find it difficult to go from semi-decent on/off piste terrain to a WROD haha. May go to Alpine Sunday though as I got the itch now for corduroy :D (however short lived it may be at this time of the year)

West Bowl at Mammoth 2 days ago
1701136485847.png

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
I always loved those West Bowl bumps. Envy you Mammoth and Rose folks.

Next storm Thursday Friday WU forecasting 9.6 inches at Kirkwood and 7.0 inches at Sugar Bowl, 7k snow levels. Resorts further east just a piddling.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Meanwhile...Sierra-at-Tahoe just announced it's postponed opening indefinitely.
The only snowmaking they have is on the bunny hill and a spot low down in West Bowl.
They need natural snow to open.

web-ready-map2324.jpg

^^^ The new map shows high level of tree clearing on front side too, similar to West Bowl :eek:I was not expecting that much loss on the front side too :(

It's going to be a new mountain, once again this season.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The only snowmaking they have is on the bunny hill and a spot low down in West Bowl.
They need natural snow to open.

View attachment 216808

^^^ The new map shows high level of tree clearing on front side too, similar to West Bowl :eek:I was not expecting that much loss on the front side too :(

It's going to be a new mountain, once again this season.
I have driven by a few times in the past week. It’s just a big wide open. Could be amazing in the right conditions!
Hoping they have a great season, they have been through so much.

4ster

Instructor
2017 was a very, VERY special year!

Having retired the previous July might have had something to do with it.

You are correct, 16/17 was a special “season” at least. There was tons of snow, the roads weren’t constantly backed up with the ridiculously unprepared, Parking was not a huge issue & every bowl, bump & chute wasn’t hacked by traverses & side slips. There was some powder to be skied by this time of year & the spring & early summer provided smooth corn till July!
In fact it was all rainbows & unicorns ;)
IMG_2654.jpeg

IMG_3327.jpeg

Skied 25 laps on Treeline Cirque yesterday. No powder but it was fun…
IMG_8104.jpeg

…& front row parking is always a plus :)
IMG_8106.jpeg

Last edited:

4ster

Instructor
I bet that snow feels great on those volkl SL you are on

Perfect tool selection
I don’t think I’ve had these out in 5 or 6 years & they might be around 15yo. They still get the job done & are less demanding than my other SL’s.

Front row parking at Heavenly this morning
IMG_8107.jpeg

& it even snowed for a minute
IMG_8109.jpeg

Looking close to getting Ridge run open, maybe tomorrow
IMG_8110.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online