• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2023-2024 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
That happened to my husband during Covid.
Roller Coaster, nobody there but one snowboarder, and he managed to run into Randy. And he was a Mammoth employee! Unbelievable!
There was a country in Africa with only 2 cars in the entire country (Cent Africa Republic ?) One day they managed to run into each other !

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Played hookie today and opted for Pali, since it seemed to have some more options than Alpine. Probably a good decision. The whole mountain looks beautiful but with thin coverage

1702101801209.png

Skied with @oldfashioned - we were both with Head e-originals , envisioning a groomer day

1702101905516.png

These things are AMAZING. We ran a few laps on resort chair, i did some drills which these skis are perfect for. The mountain looked splendid at tree level

1702102344580.png

We headed up to the Gold Coast area, and were surprised by the mount of creamy snow and even powder pockets. Lots of runs and lots of fun. A bit of a workout on a 68mm ski, but the bit of tip rise and wide shovels and tails make the se more versatile than one may think.

1702102625790.png

And then ... the miss of the year, They open the traverse up from Gold Coast and everyone and their mother are heading up. We decided to skip with narrow skis and very thin coverage, but I regretted not having the Factions at the time. It was untracked power everywhere around Siberia.

All in all, fun day ... and the mountain is so ready to get full coverage with just one big storm. The base is there.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Played hookie today and opted for Pali, since it seemed to have some more options than Alpine. Probably a good decision. The whole mountain looks beautiful but with thin coverage
I think I talked to you guys this morning at red dog corral, as a pair with matching race skis at PT that isn't on team is quite rare. I was the one fiddling with gear with yellow Laser AXes that you complimented :).

I agree Alpine does not have much right now. I went over on the b2b did 1 run on TLC and immediately came back. It's been cooking in the sun so is alternating icy and slushy. Right now it is only providing the vital duty of a bigger beginner's area as they don't have the High Camp area opened. Hopefully roundhouse soon.
A lot of the shoulders from the snowmaking areas are also getting refreshes everyday and you can get some sidehit action.
But take caution if you're straying too far from the open groom. The last storm was thick so it coated and stuck onto everything. But that white lump in the ditch that you were hitting is not a snowball but likely a rock that will catch your ski and throw you into the ER.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Impressed with the number of skiers/boarders going off-pist without any audible base and edge carnage, as it's still pretty boney.
But take caution if you're straying too far from the open groom. The last storm was thick so it coated and stuck onto everything. But that white lump in the ditch that you were hitting is not a snowball but likely a rock that will catch your ski and throw you into the ER.

Several years ago (2016?) the number of people I knew who took themselves out in December after hitting buried stumps was not zero. They are cautionary tales for me.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I think I talked to you guys this morning at red dog corral, as a pair with matching race skis at PT that isn't on team is quite rare. I was the one fiddling with gear with yellow Laser AXes that you complimented :).

No way, that was YOU! I was ahead and heard @oldfashoned discussing someone's Lasers :roflmao: . Small world! Sorry we missed making some laps together.

... and ...
Several years ago (2016?) the number of people I knew who took themselves out in December after hitting buried stumps was not zero. They are cautionary tales for me.

Yes. The upper mountain had, or at least a had, yesterday, several nice pockets with real soft snow. We carefully had fun in what I would call "low angle offpiste". All the gladed/ungroomed areas in Gold Coast. It is mild enough that you could spread your skis here or there to ski around a stump, one ski on each side, stuff like that, but at those speeds it is relatively easy and low risk. But was one of the reasons we avoided the hike up towards the Sibo area when it opened. Fear of hitting something at speed, and injury.

If anything, we didn't even try on the lower mountain in Pali. It looked bony as hell.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No way, that was YOU! I was ahead and heard @oldfashoned discussing someone's Lasers :roflmao: . Small world! Sorry we missed making some laps together.

... and ...

Yes. The upper mountain had, or at least a had, yesterday, several nice pockets with real soft snow. We carefully had fun in what I would call "low angle offpiste". All the gladed/ungroomed areas in Gold Coast. It is mild enough that you could spread your skis here or there to ski around a stump, one ski on each side, stuff like that, but at those speeds it is relatively easy and low risk. But was one of the reasons we avoided the hike up towards the Sibo area when it opened. Fear of hitting something at speed, and injury.

If anything, we didn't even try on the lower mountain in Pali. It looked bony as hell.
You guys need to get SkiTalk stickers on your skis so you can ID each other!

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Friend who has place at Kirkwood said they opened chairs 7 (high-speed, but beginner and low intermediate) and 11 todayand it was "Skiing through the grass". When I looked at website early this morning, they only showed 5 and for beginners 9. My pass is blacked out all Saturdays at Kirkwood and Northstar, not that I'd want to be there then unless early or late season, and I'm still blacked even if it's customer appreciation day with free lunch.

Last edited:

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Friend who has place at Kirkwood said they opened chairs 7 and 11. When I looked at website early this morning, they only showed 5 and for beginners 9. My pass is blacked out all Saturdays at Kirkwood and Northstar, not that I'd want to be there then unless early or late season.
They opened Chairs 7 and 11 mid-day.

Sponsor