• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2023-2024 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
Replace Porky with a station at the present top terminal but then continue to the top of Porky Cirque has always been my plan.
Expansive mostly north facing bowl which retains snow into summer…
View attachment 217512

View attachment 217514
That would be a start.

Today was a terrifying WROD. I just cannot get over how busy it is up there. Life flight showed up and patrol came down with a sled loaded and hauling the mail faster than I've ever seen them go, yelling at people to yield. Clearly not a good situation whatever happened. At the same time, there was nobody slowing people down anywhere except the bottom of Bear Hollow. This is my 10th season skiing there. There has been such a degradation of early season mountain prep compared to the past, I just don't get it. That combined with the massive (I'd estimate at LEAST 100X, I'm not exaggerating) increase in skier numbers, and it's so unsafe. I had the opportunity to buy a midweek PowMow pass and now am seriously regretting not doing so.

@4ster the snow reports are pretty exaggerated--yes, the upper mountain got a lot, but it's still not enough to safely venture off-piste. The groomers are a madhouse. I'm not sure if you're out here yet, but you might hold off until PM opens.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Great to ski with Phil and Tricia, and get to catch up on current events. I thought the snow was pretty good, and the patrol was dropping ropes to runs under the Needles Lodge in the afternoon. Too foggy to enjoy it much, and by the time you're out of the fog there are only a few one way down. My GPS tracker says I hit a double black run, but I think not. Looking forward to the Volant article.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I'm not sure if you're out here yet, but you might hold off until PM opens.
On my way. PM opens Thursday.
Still a better start then Tahoe & I’m easily pleased. :)
I always say the best thing about Heavenly are the views…
IMG_8133.jpeg

Hope the injured skier recovers.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great to ski with Phil and Tricia, and get to catch up on current events. I thought the snow was pretty good, and the patrol was dropping ropes to runs under the Needles Lodge in the afternoon. Too foggy to enjoy it much, and by the time you're out of the fog there are only a few one way down. My GPS tracker says I hit a double black run, but I think not. Looking forward to the Volant article.
I really enjoyed spending time with you and hope to have a full day with you in the near future.
It was a bit busy up top but after getting out of the low visibility it was pretty nice. And really, the snow top to bottom was nice.
Glad you had a good run after we abandoned you.
On a positive sidenote, our meetings went really well.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
First day back at Snowbasin lived up to expectations or maybe a little better than. An inch or two of graupel & wind this morning helped.
Front row parking is always a plus…
IMG_8147.jpeg
Made my first lap on the main groomers of Sweet Revenge & Bullwinkle & down to the car where I immediately switched skis to something more buttery. It ain’t Alta but it was obvious that the off piste skiing on the top half of the mountain (mostly Pork Barrel & Two Bit Street) would be the call for me today. Even though there’s only been the one real storm (last weekend) the wet snow & rain really locked things up & although I saw rocks sticking through, in 5 hours l never hit a thing. As @AmyPJ said, the bottom definitely suffered from the rain but the groomed run was fine.
Some flat light at the top was to be expected but not the total whiteout of Monday.
Trying to be winter…
IMG_8150.jpeg
A few more inches expected tonight should bring the crowds back tomorrow but I skied right on all day today.

In other news, all the chairs are hung on the new DeMoisey lift & it should be GTG once load testing and whatever other details are addressed.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Sometimes, you just get that perfect combo, and today was that day at Alta. 3" of snow in the AM followed by 3" more through the day. Zero crowds. High Traverse opening up. It wasn't blower but the new snow on top of the unskied old snow was amazing on the new terrain. Eagle's Nest was freaking awesome. As was Greely Hill. Even did a Summer Road lap and that stuff is coming into play nicely. Too busy skiing, no pictures!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
This makes me think of the carpooling that was done in NoVA to DC for commuters. They would park in carpool lots (called slug lots) and in essence, hitchhike into DC or the Pentagon, then do the same on the way home. It was actually brilliant as it allowed for a lot more folks to carpool without the need to have an organized group to carpool with. They did this because it allowed them to use the HOV lanes, which would move at freeway speeds vs. the non-HOV lanes, which were often very slow and congested.

I could see people "slugging" up to the resorts so long as they had a way back down, and a place to stash their boot bags and stuff while at the resorts.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I could see people "slugging" up to the resorts so long as they had a way back down, and a place to stash their boot bags and stuff while at the resorts.

That's no different than taking the UTA in terms of logistics. Most resorts have places to stash a bag in their base lodges (most for a nominal fee, some for free). That's my standard approach for BCC and LCC and it works great.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
That's no different than taking the UTA in terms of logistics. Most resorts have places to stash a bag in their base lodges (most for a nominal fee, some for free). That's my standard approach for BCC and LCC and it works great.
In some ways yes, but some people don’t love being crammed on a bus with 100 other people, :wave:or being beholden to the bus schedule. Granted riding in a car with strangers can be weird, but it’s still a lot fewer people.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
In some ways yes, but some people don’t love being crammed on a bus with 100 other people, :wave:or being beholden to the bus schedule. Granted riding in a car with strangers can be weird, but it’s still a lot fewer people.

I get the crowd aversion. I live in a busy city so I'm accustomed to the sardine can vibe - or at least I can tolerate it for a ride up or down the canyon. The schedule isn't much of a hindrance, either, but I can flex to accommodate it and I know others (especially locals) aren't always as fortunate.

The slug line thing should work well. I've done the same in BCC before, catching a ride with friends who work at either Solitude or Brighton and parking along Fort Union Boulevard. It works well - carpooling works, in general. And if this can ease the load on the roads it'll be a good change. But people need to open their minds to it and, well, that can be tough.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Something I also miss about the current iteration of the UTA ski bus: racks for skis and boards on the outside of the vehicle. Having to lug your skis inside is a massive waste of space and, to be honest, a hazard. Not sure why UTA got rid of the outboard racks but they were practical and made the bus a lot less crowded in practice.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
I get the crowd aversion. I live in a busy city so I'm accustomed to the sardine can vibe - or at least I can tolerate it for a ride up or down the canyon. The schedule isn't much of a hindrance, either, but I can flex to accommodate it and I know others (especially locals) aren't always as fortunate.

The slug line thing should work well. I've done the same in BCC before, catching a ride with friends who work at either Solitude or Brighton and parking along Fort Union Boulevard. It works well - carpooling works, in general. And if this can ease the load on the roads it'll be a good change. But people need to open their minds to it and, well, that can be tough.
I think someone who regularly skis in either of the Canyons should start a slug movement! It's honestly brilliant the way it works in the DC area--my ex used it daily--and I wish more places would adopt similar policies. That being said, the carpool/bus lots need to be able to handle the car capacity, and I'm not sure if they can. I don't ski any of those areas enough to be familiar with that.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Sometimes, you just get that perfect combo, and today was that day at Alta. 3" of snow in the AM followed by 3" more through the day. Zero crowds. High Traverse opening up. It wasn't blower but the new snow on top of the unskied old snow was amazing on the new terrain. Eagle's Nest was freaking awesome. As was Greely Hill. Even did a Summer Road lap and that stuff is coming into play nicely. Too busy skiing, no pictures!

Yesterday was perfect, today was twice as good. This one is a lock for top 3 days of the season. My best ski buddy who I've been skiing with 10-20 runs a week with for 3 seasons now said to me "I've never heard you so vocal while skiing!". They're reporting 28" and with the wind, there were definitely some spots it was over 3 feet. I cannot recall a day like today where there was so much untracked, mid-storm skiing I have seen in my short time at Alta. Upper Greely at 4pm was untracked. There were hundreds of feet of continuous powder skiing in North Rustler. Paid the piper with a pretty brutal 3 hour drive home down canyon, but for the first time I've ever seen, not a soul in my car complained. Freaking. Awesome. Day.

Sponsor

Staff online