• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2023-2024 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yesterday was perfect, today was twice as good. This one is a lock for top 3 days of the season. My best ski buddy who I've been skiing with 10-20 runs a week with for 3 seasons now said to me "I've never heard you so vocal while skiing!". They're reporting 28" and with the wind, there were definitely some spots it was over 3 feet. I cannot recall a day like today where there was so much untracked, mid-storm skiing I have seen in my short time at Alta. Upper Greely at 4pm was untracked. There were hundreds of feet of continuous powder skiing in North Rustler. Paid the piper with a pretty brutal 3 hour drive home down canyon, but for the first time I've ever seen, not a soul in my car complained. Freaking. Awesome. Day.
Now that’s the UT thread we love to read…

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
“The best thing about Snowbasin on Saturday is looking at it from across the valley”
IMG_8157.jpeg

First day of the season for me at Pow Mow. One of those crisp, clear & cold winter days that makes a crappy head cold feel better. Today they opened Timberline chair so everyone went there. Feeling under the weather I elected to just make some easy laps on Sundown & make it to an appointment I had this afternoon.
A few perfect cold snow, fast groomers & the rest of the morning on “not quite bumps” skier/rider packed powder. I don’t know about the rest of the mountain but coverage on the area that I skied was really good & exceptional for early December.
Country Club skiing at its finest…
IMG_8154.jpeg

Last edited:

dwlighting

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi. I will likely be in The Cottonwoods next weekend (coming from NYC) to get my first turns of the season. If anyone is around and wants to connect, please give a shout.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Saturday was a bluebird powder dream day at Alta!!!
bluebird.png
Those who ski the cottonwoods regularly know how rare these days are.
Didn't get many pics due to single digit temps.Those temps did keep the snow super soft.
My favorite day of the season so far.

Wore myself out pretty good Saturday so just went up to rip groomers on Sunday . IMG_8789.JPG
much warmer temps. obviously great snow. Supreme lift opened over the weeekend to spread the crowds out better. New Groomer off Supreme called Upper Sleepy Hollow( I think) . This run skied great .

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I am catching my flight out tonight, so there won't be any snow through Friday. Apologies in advance to all of Cottonwood.

You can't go wrong with what we already have down. It won't be fresh powder but I bet you'll see some terrain openings on your vacation. Snowbird is practically saying that in their report and there's absolutely some areas at Alta that have a high chance of opening this week. I would ASSume Solitude and Brighton are in similar boats.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
Meanwhile, Snowbasin has decided that grooming is optional. FB memories reminds me almost daily how much more they used to groom by this time in normal snow years which this is turning out to be. Heck, they aren't opening lifts that used to be open by now, either. And yet, skier numbers are astronomical compared to those years. I'm dreading the holiday rush of IKON passholders more than ever.

4ster

Instructor
Meanwhile, Snowbasin has decided that grooming is optional.
LOL, My friend commented yesterday "This must be what skiing was like in the 50's".
After that comment as I was coming down Wildcat Bowl I was thinking it was pretty nice 60's style small smooth bumps, then toward the bottom where Stewarts intersects it was more like the 70's & 80's when everyone got short skis & started slicing the bumps in half & digging deep un-rythmical ruts. In fact except for a few spots that's what conditions looked like on most of the open terrain.
I skied a couple runs with the head coach of the freeride team who is in her 20's & even she commented how no one skis the fall line anymore!
To be honest I'm not sure there is really enough snow to groom most of the lower slopes without digging up rocks or causing damage to the machines. Still plenty of fine skiing to be had & coverage is really good for early December.
Just my thoughts but what is sad for me is looking at all that amazing snow that in the past would have been treated as backcountry, OB terrain. Places we’ve skied with half as much snow in the past but are now denied access with ropes, closures & “No Hiking Up” signs instead of boundaries.
Now, after warmer temperatures & sun yesterday much of that snow will form a crust which could prove to be an issue in the future. Overcast today could greenhouse the snow that didn't get sun yesterday. Would have been nice to get some skier traffic on it while it was good. Yes, there are hazards & other operational issues but they could be mitigated or reduced.
It seems to again be a case of saving ourselves from ourselves :huh:.
IMG_3849.jpeg

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
No reason Herbert's or most of the Needles side can't be groomed. I was riding Porky most seasons prior by now--the only time I recall NOT riding Porky by now was last season, when again, opening the mountain and spreading the early season crowds out seemed to not be a priority. I feel like they're trading one safety issue for another--crowded runs vs. spreading people out and opening more terrain with warnings galore. The snow has been great--I did notice that glaze forming on some of the bumps and yeah, that's not the best scenario for whenever we get storms again (10 days out???!)

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Holy....

Taking Mary and Village away from the public is a bold move - though one that's not entirely surprising now that Hastings sees that having real estate to manage in addition to the ski area is a tough balancing act.

The new lifts will definitely soften the blow.

KansasTraverse

Booting up
Skier
Taking Mary and Village away from the public is a bold move - though one that's not entirely surprising now that Hastings sees that having real estate to manage in addition to the ski area is a tough balancing act.

The new lifts will definitely soften the blow.
The far side of Cobabe will not be lift served now.(probably not even open to public)The mellow terrain there was fantastic for some very mild powder runs. Us commoners look like we can still ski past on Cobabe Trail and see the new Rain tree lift and dream.

4ster

Instructor

Sponsor

Staff online