• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2023-24 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
I've tentatively penciled-in a day trip to Massanutten on Friday, Jan 5, weather dependent, in case anyone wants to join me. I'll revisit this post & thread a few days before the 5th to reevaluate conditions and interest.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've tentatively penciled-in a day trip to Massanutten on Friday, Jan 5, weather dependent, in case anyone wants to join me. I'll revisit this post & thread a few days before the 5th to reevaluate conditions and interest.
I'm a maybe for that. I'm probably not working that day.. 4 hour drive.. Might meet you there around noonish.. penciled in here too.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm in!! :D

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like just a tick under 5 hours for me. I'll keep it on my radar.

Last edited:

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I'm electronic penciling it in. Probably combine with SS and/or TL.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
You bringing the 70s gear or the 90s gear? :duck:
I skied 80s gear through the 90s. 70s/80s gear only comes out to play after February. All regular season skis are Y2K compatible (barely)

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
A few pics from Whitegrass yesterday.

PXL_20231207_160400061.jpg

PXL_20231207_160912491.jpg

Canaan Valley Ski Area from Bald Knob.

PXL_20231207_164000263.jpg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
20231208_103721.jpg first run of my season at massanutten now
Summit not open,but chair 5 is.
20231208_103237.jpg

Free pass for septuagenarians;-)

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Looks like just a tick under 5 hours for me. I'll keep it on my radar.

I'm electronic penciling it in. Probably combine with SS and/or TL.
Sort of a conflict has arisen. Wish we could push this up to Jan 2nd or 3rd. My ski buddy co pilot flies back to Oklahoma on the 4th. I'll hit Appalachian with him then otherwise. Not sure I'm up for BOTH :huh:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
I might be up for both if conditions warrant. Commited to some friends on 5th. This is my home mtn for the next month.Havent been here in a long time: views of kettle still very pretty. 20231208_111404.jpg

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Anybody else prefer 2nd or 3rd?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
after my experience last year on Jan 2, I'm not going anywhere near a ski area that day. Too many people still off from school/work

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
after my experience last year on Jan 2, I'm not going anywhere near a ski area that day. Too many people still off from school/work
Ya last year we didn't stay more than 90 minutes on the 2nd, 3rd is a Wednesday, probably much better. 5th is a Friday.. 3 day weekenders. 4th I gotta take the kid to the airport.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
My knowledge of Massanutten is about ten years old, several years before some of the nice improvements I saw today, new trails, new mid-mtn lodge. But the chair (6) serving the best terrain used to always be lightly utilized even on crowded days. I wonder if that was the case last year and could be the case on Jan 2?

Sponsor

Staff online